5. CHAVES RUBIO, E. OGE + 41''
6. RODRIGUEZ, J. KAT + 45''
7. GESINK, R. BEL + 55''
8. ARU, F. AST + 58''
9. BARGUIL, W. GIA + 1' 02''
10. KELDERMAN, W. BEL + 1' 06''
Correlation is not causation.

Comments

• race radio reports that there are thunder storms at the finish and on the final climb.
    So, possibly no coverage. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Was just about to start this, surprised it has taken so long as it's the first big hill finish of the race. Anyone know the current situation? ES coverage starts at 3pm.
  • Pross
    race radio reports that there are thunder storms at the finish and on the final climb.
    So, possibly no coverage. :(

Should have at least static cameras shouldn't they?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Was just about to start this, surprised it has taken so long as it's the first big hill finish of the race. Anyone know the current situation? ES coverage starts at 3pm.
    About 80km to go. Large group has 8 minutes. Hesjedal best on GC at around +10 minutes.

Winner ANACONA (2) and Damiano CUNEGO (3), Rinaldo NOCENTINI (18), Alexey LUTSENKO (27), Paul MARTENS (36), Dominik NERZ (46) and Danilo WYSS (49), Peio BILBAO (54), Jerome COPPEL (72) and Romain ZINGLE (79), Natnael BERHANE (82) and Yannick MARTINEZ (87), Ryder HESJEDAL (101) and Johan VAN SUMMEREN (109), Pirmin LANG (125), Eduard VORGANOV (139), Adam HANSEN (146), Javier MORENO (158), Daniel TEKLEHAIMANOT (166) and Jay Robert THOMSON (167), Tom BOONEN (171) and Carlos VERONA (179), Sam BEWLEY (181), Dario CATALDO (192), Julian David ARREDONDO MORENO (212), Fabio FELLINE (213) and Bob JUNGELS (214).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    73k to go a front group of 31 have nearly 8 minutes on the peloton.

Includes Boonen, Cunego, Hesjedal, Cataldo, Vansummeren, Hansen and the man with the best name in cycling... Winner Anacona.
  • Pross
    So Arredondo and Cunego have remembered they are pro cyclists? Ryder is being aggressive since falling out of GT contention.
  • RichN95.
    the man with the best name in cycling... Winner Anacona.
    Christian Poos is a better name if he's still riding.
  • above_the_cows
    Wey hey

ECHELONS!!!!!!!

On the re-run of yesterday's stage.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    14:51:53 CEST

Courtesy of the race website, here's a full list of riders in the break:
    Winner ANACONA (2) and Damiano CUNEGO (3), Rinaldo NOCENTINI (18), Alexey LUTSENKO (27), Paul MARTENS (36), Dominik NERZ (46) and Danilo WYSS (49), Peio BILBAO (54), Jerome COPPEL (72) and Romain ZINGLE (79), Natnael BERHANE (82) and Yannick MARTINEZ (87), Ryder HESJEDAL (101) and Johan VAN SUMMEREN (109), Pirmin LANG (125), Eduard VORGANOV (139), Adam HANSEN (146), Javier MORENO (158), Daniel TEKLEHAIMANOT (166) and Jay Robert THOMSON (167), Tom BOONEN (171) and Carlos VERONA (179), Sam BEWLEY (181), Dario CATALDO (192), Julian David ARREDONDO MORENO (212), Fabio FELLINE (213) and Bob JUNGELS (214).
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Meh, cycling was more interesting when Burke Swindlehurst was still riding
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:
    the man with the best name in cycling... Winner Anacona.
    Christian Poos is a better name if he's still riding.

Poos.

*chuckle*

But seriously they don't half come up with some batsh*t crazy names in Colombia. At my previous place of employment we had a pair of brothers called Stalin and Lenin.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    RichN95 wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    About 80km to go. Large group has 8 minutes. Hesjedal best on GC at around +10 minutes.

Anacona is only 2:50 down on GC.
  • Arrendondo from that lot.
    Looks as if he'll do his usual thing of chasing 2 or 3 stages and ride the grupetto for the rest of the race.
  • RichN95.
    Joelsim wrote:
    Twitter lied to me. And not for the first time.
  • The only rain in Spain.
    etp9.png
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    RichN95 wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:
    Twitter lied to me. And not for the first time.
    i can't help myself with this one.

They are only Twits that are twittering. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    The only rain in Spain.
    etp9.png

Even considering the altitude difference (which isn't massive) that's a massive drop in temperature over around 100 miles.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I guess the problem with a lot of Vuelta stages is the parcours is more or less easy until the final climb. There are some tasty multi-col stages to come and some very interesting climbs in their own right.

finish-09.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The preceding 2nd cat is not very testing at all. Long, but with only a few kms of +5%.
    New leader tonight.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Would be amazing if Anacona could do it
  • above_the_cows
    Joelsim wrote:
    Would be amazing if Anacona could do it

Winner!
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    I got stuck out on my bike ,near Granada, on a day like this in early June about 10 years ago. My mate got really bad sunburn the day before and wore arm and leg warmers and I was out in summer gear as the forecast was sunny and 27c. At the start, I was having fun with my mate saying he'll be sweating his butt off all day but the day ended up with 14c and rain and I froze my nadgers off for about 3 hours. Not a good day out.

Looking at this website below, the temperature is about 30c only about 20 miles north and south to where they are riding. Spain is hot but can be annoyingly cold if you catch it wrong.. Brrrr... :wink: Happy days!!

http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/about.asp
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • above_the_cows
    This weather is lovely.

Brrrrrrrr.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    On screen graphics suggesting that are has been dropped by peloton. Mechanical presumably?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • above_the_cows
    Froome has the stage profile on his stem for today's reading. He's finally finished War and Peace.
  • frenchfighter
    Jungels must have targetted this climb as he came in almost last yesterday. Winner showed great form in Utah.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Although Contador is a wet weather rider he did say that his knee was much better in the heat. We shall see.

Yes Winner, go go go.

PK currently leading the GC group up the climb which is about 20 riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Main group getting shredded somewhat.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    Watch for Froome to attack. Quintana on Contador's wheel.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    Just wanted to say for about the 100th time:

Lil' Pete's national champs kit is awesome!