Beckham...

124»

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    I don't begrudge the Beckhams' success, in fact I admire them for making so much ( not just in the financial sense) from such meagre talents.
    He was a reasonable player but come on, 115 caps for England. Nah.
    The last couple of years he was gifted caps, I can only assume to cash in on his celebrity status to flog kit.
    As for Victoria, she would seem to be unable to carry a tune in a bucket.

I have no idea if they are smart, clever or as thick as pig shite, and frankly don't care.

What I do find infuriating is the celebrity culture pervading this country where the media keep telling us how great someone is all the time, when your eyes and ears tell you differently. Perhaps it isn't the Beckhams that are stupid, it is the public for swallowing this guff.

By way of coincidence, I see X Factor has started again. In the coming weeks we will be subjected to being told incessantly how great some warbler is. Tell the people the same thing over and over and eventually they come to believe it.
    The King's New Clothes springs to mind. I feel like I am the kid in the story, saying,"Hang on a sec..."
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 3,954
    Ballysmate wrote:

What I do find infuriating is the celebrity culture pervading this country where the media keep telling us how great someone is all the time, when your eyes and ears tell you differently. Perhaps it isn't the Beckhams that are stupid, it is the public for swallowing this guff.

By way of coincidence, I see X Factor has started again. In the coming weeks we will be subjected to being told incessantly how great some warbler is. Tell the people the same thing over and over and eventually they come to believe it.
    The King's New Clothes springs to mind. I feel like I am the kid in the story, saying,"Hang on a sec..."

It's utterly mind-boggling how some people are worshipped for having so little real talent, I can only assume those who follow these 'celebrities' have very low standards and opinions of themselves. Apparently Kelly Brook is releasing an autobiography next month...insane. I've retired to the sanctuary of Radio3 and 6music these days as there is very little news indeed much less the kind of nonsense that belongs in Hello magazine. I'm not even 40 yet I already feel like an old man living in a crazy world.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,352
    No one seems to make the distinction between celebs and stars. Celebs are just famous people but stars have talent.

Beckham has gone from star to the other.

I (and even the OH) avoid the x factor and Britain's got talent like the plague.

"I guess some people just don't know better than to ingest." - entertainment for the masses served up in HD and on a wide screen.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing as you, Ballysmate, but I decided against posting it here because I thought I might end up coming across as having a psychotic hatred of Beckham.

When I was working in schools as an English tutor, it was truly disturbing just how many kids "don't need no education" because they're DEFINITELY going to be the next (insert name of sports/pop/reality TV star here). Also, they've been sold this massive lie that if you just want something badly enough, and you are willing to work, work and work for it, then it will happen for you. Sorry, but that's bollox and 99% of the children and teens who take this attitude will end up with no qualifications, just some broken dreams and a crappy, badly-paid job somewhere.

Not that I'm blaming Beckham for this, it's just the culture in which we live.
  • VTech wrote:
    @PBlakeney, ive had 18 RS cars and all were a nightmare, never again.

"ive had 18 RS cars All were a nightmare, never again"
    Must admit that's a comment I wouldn't be surprised if it came from Beckham

fool me once shame on you.. fool me 18 times!!!
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • You would think from reading this forum that David had been shagging Somalian orphans and Victoria had been ritually slaughtering them afterwards. A sense of perspective is needed here. Both Beckham's come from good families where both sides of the family appear to have a bearing on the family life. Whilst David may not be a comedian and give amazing interviews he was good enough to feature in a Man U team that won quite a few accolades. Victoria was in a successful girl band and both of them have become successful in their chosen fields post initial career. Fair play to them both.

By the way they are not unintelligent. They just have a different intelligence to others and probably are not academically gifted or particularly interested in developing this either. This is the equivalent of saying that the child who wins the prizes at sports school day or gets the best part in the yearly play is somewhat lesser of a person than the kid how does best at maths. They are both different skills and should be admired in their own right. Failure to do so results in all but 1 child being seen as worthless.
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    bdu98252 wrote:
    A sense of perspective is needed here.

Yes, but nobody was claiming they were evil incarnate (although I stand by my statements that he was a persistent cheat). The problem is that DB got so much adulation during his time as a footballer and there are a lot of double standards. For some reason he has come out of football with a fairly clean reputation, yet if Wayne Rooney does the same thing (arguing with refs, violent conduct), he gets dismissed as a mindless thug. Why? I'm not sure, maybe it's something to do with Beckham's status as England's golden boy, maybe he is a really nice man when you get him away from the football field, I really cannot say, but I'm genuinely very puzzled as to why he is generally seen as some sort of uber-professional footballer who could never put a foot wrong.