What the heck? how cold in August

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    How do you 'not londoners' avoid dragon attacks? Do Rapha make a fire jacket?

Is that not what the Reaburn ones were? The patterns also helped scare off smaller mythical beasts.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Even *I* put on long sleeves this morning. Was glad of them when in the stix too. Might well have sweated (of course) but was a little warmer to begin with. Wasn't anything to do with that fact I had no clean jerseys...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    How do you 'not londoners' avoid dragon attacks? Do Rapha make a fire jacket?

Down 'ere in Zummerset, the Wyverns saw them all off eons back.
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    You know I was going to make some northern comment about clothes lines across streets slowing us down or something about flying chimney sweeps in London town but I really can't be bothered. I guess it is because it was cold this morning and I have not warmed up today hence the use of the car instead of bike.

Of course in Zummerset you probably still see them because of all the cider being drunk. (as an aside My old man got taken for lunch by the old inspector on his road construction site when he worked down that way. he ended up sat against an apple tree in a farm drinking cider and eatin his sarnies. then straight back to work with the old guy driving a large digger. Aah! the old days befor 'elf & safety. Mind you I heard they are still lke that in ZUmmerset).
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    In the good old days in Somerset, when building work on large country estates was done by gangs of estate employees, the youngest member of the squad was the cider boy, whose job it was to head to the nearest pub whenever the cider jars were empty, right through the day.
    If your work was done late in the day, the quality could, err, vary.

At least that's how I remember the old estate carpenter explaining the (impressively asymmetric) shape of our front door.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Baselayer, jersey, raintop and overshoes this morning here in cornwall in august... Now watching them sweat it out in the vuelta. Not fair
  • gabriel959 wrote:
    I am about to pull the trigger on some winter boots. Northwave, as they seem kindly priced.

I had Lake MX140s boots which were great in the winter - they were neoprene and eVent so pretty much waterproof. I got them a size bigger than usual and with a pair of merino socks, they were warm. The winter before last, I did occasionally have two pairs of socks on (one thin, one slightly thicker). Sadly, after three winters, some of the stitching started to come away so that they now leak so I've retired them.

I picked up a pair of Sidi Diablos on SportsPursuit a few months ago for £120 but haven't yet worn them.

Second the advice on wearing socks that come below the cuff of the shoe and putting your tights over the top of the cuff to try to avoid water running down the leg. But, definitely, love having winter boots. It's just so much easier than faffing with overshoes.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    I was certainly NOT cold in london nor oxfordshire this morning. Warm and clammy.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I was certainly NOT cold in london nor oxfordshire this morning. Warm and clammy.

Agreed- it was actually rather unpleasant! I prefer it cold to nasty and humid like that.
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Yes, I glanced out the window, saw it was a bit rainy so thought I'd try the short sleeve gabba for the first time. Wrong choice, overheated.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    One thing that really annoys me about this section of the Forum is that some people cannot see 10 feet outside of their immediate location.
    I find it to be a really sad attitude

:?

Appreciate it wasn't meant personally but what is your evidence that people "cannot see 10 feet...". I mean I know a high proportion of people who post here commute in London (which incidentally has a very high proportion of all the cycling commuting done in the UK) but I'm guessing a large proportion of us are not originally from London. We're well aware that there is a world outside London.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Looks like I chose the perfect time to go on holiday.
    It wasn't too bad when I left, then 12 days of 37 to 42°c and by the time I come back it returns to not great, but not awful temperatures.

I admit, 42°c could be a bit toasty, but swimming, snorkling, windsurfing and jet-skiing helped to keep me cool.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,852
    jedster wrote:
    One thing that really annoys me about this section of the Forum is that some people cannot see 10 feet outside of their immediate location.
    I find it to be a really sad attitude

:?

Appreciate it wasn't meant personally but what is your evidence that people "cannot see 10 feet...". I mean I know a high proportion of people who post here commute in London (which incidentally has a very high proportion of all the cycling commuting done in the UK) but I'm guessing a large proportion of us are not originally from London. We're well aware that there is a world outside London.
    Simply look at my earlier post where I linked your post saying that it wasn't cold with someone else coping with 2 degrees. That was just one easily recalled example. There have been many, many others but I cannot be bothered to trawl them up to emphasise the point. Just wait for the next weather thread (after people have forgotten about this thread) and that will prove the point.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,797
    August is overrated. May is underrated.
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    Bloody hot here in Athens....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Simply look at my earlier post where I linked your post saying that it wasn't cold with someone else coping with 2 degrees.

Ah come on. The OP was talking about Leamington Spa which is one hour up the my from where I live and loads of the other comments were from southerners. I was GENERALISING rather than ignoring the fact that it is cold in some places. Clearly I could have put (apart from those of you who where it has been genuinely cold) in my post but would it really have added anything useful.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    jedster wrote:
    Simply look at my earlier post where I linked your post saying that it wasn't cold with someone else coping with 2 degrees.

Ah come on. The OP was talking about Leamington Spa which is one hour up the my from where I live and loads of the other comments were from southerners. I was GENERALISING rather than ignoring the fact that it is cold in some places. Clearly I could have put (apart from those of you who where it has been genuinely cold) in my post but would it really have added anything useful.
    Plus you were clearly just having a laugh, hence the :wink: smiley
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sketchley wrote:
    Bloody hot here in Athens....
    Bloody wet here in India (Monsoon!)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    Someone else coping with 2 degrees.
    Coping? I was still in shorts and fingerless gloves (albeit wearing long-sleeves). When it was -14° a couple of years back and I was cycling through 18" of snow, *then* I was coping!
  • pblakeney
    PBlakeney wrote:
    Someone else coping with 2 degrees.
    Coping? I was still in shorts and fingerless gloves (albeit wearing long-sleeves). When it was -14° a couple of years back and I was cycling through 18" of snow, *then* I was coping!
    Kudos to you although I consider your earlier actions to be that of someone as mad as a hatter.
    I think most people in most places would consider 2 degrees to be chilly but I acknowledge that there are exceptions.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • rick_chasey
    Bad for your knees.
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Bad for your knees.

Indeed, keep them out at your own peril. I don't feel the cold but I care about my health and body. You are not brave for cycling in shorts in winter, just careless.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Too blooming hot now ...
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Bad for your knees.

Indeed, keep them out at your own peril. I don't feel the cold but I care about my health and body. You are not brave for cycling in shorts in winter, just careless.

I'm sure there was some research that agreed with this conclusion, although I've never needed full-length in any weather really - my legs get incredibly hot while my feet freeze.
    Do you have any links to any research that says I'm risking my knees falling off (unless I'm wearing a plastic hat)?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    Cover the knees below 60* degrees.

*ish
  • pblakeney
    dodgy wrote:
    Cover the knees below 60* degrees.

*ish
    Fahrenheit I presume?

Even then, I would say 50 degrees F.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    davis wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Bad for your knees.

I'm sure there was some research that agreed with this conclusion, although I've never needed full-length in any weather really - my legs get incredibly hot while my feet freeze.
    Do you have any links to any research that says I'm risking my knees falling off (unless I'm wearing a plastic hat)?

I remember reading something about it when a club member laughed at me when I turned up in shorts one time and he sent me something via email, funnily enough I can't find it :(
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    It was a really nice day. Gilet and arm warmers when I left for club run at 7:30. Both were off at 7:35....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rick_chasey
    gabriel959 wrote:
    davis wrote:
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Bad for your knees.

I remember reading something about it when a club member laughed at me when I turned up in shorts one time and he sent me something via email, funnily enough I can't find it :(

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/toolbox/knees.html

http://www.wholeathlete.com/assets/docu ... _01-09.pdf
  • rick_chasey
    Here in Dubai it's a cool max of 37 today.

Rest of week it maxes out at 43...