What the heck? how cold in August

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
I know I tend to 'run hot' and dress down, but this is madness, it's August and after two mornings with chilly fingers I'm contemplating full fingered gloves, IN AUGUST, I'm normally only using them 4 months a year!
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• Isn't it. The missus found out this morning that I have some new arm warmers as well :)
    New Malden to Epsom Downs
    60 percent of the time, all of the time
    Wilier Triestina
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Rose Xeon CW-3100 Di2
  • tangled_metal
    tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
    Tuesday I rode in and regretted not wearing any mitts of gloves at all. 1 minute into the commute and my fingers went a bit numb.

Wednesday I wore my fingerless mitts thinking it was still summer and August so full finger gloves would be too warm and look a bit poncy wearing them. Met a long term commuter joking about me not wearing full gloves. Plus my Spec mitts have a lot of mesh fabric on the back of the hands so offered no warmth at all.

This morning I was determined. I wore my thin sealskin full fingered gloves. I sweated in them all the way!!! The temperature had only risen by a good few degrees due to the cloud and on/off rain showers. You can't win!! It's a bit like when it starts raining when you get your bike out so you go back in and kit up for a wet ride into work only for the rain to stop and the sun comes out.
  • warreng
    warreng Posts: 535
    I'm still being manly with just mitts but went long-sleeved today.

Mrs G had the bloody heating on this morning
    2015 Cervelo S3
    2016 Santa Cruz 5010
    2016 Genesis Croix de Fer
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    I have to admit that I was contemplating arm warmers (which I've never tried before - are they any good?), but then I reminded myself that it was a good idea to HTFU
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,775
    Rhodrich wrote:
    I have to admit that I was contemplating arm warmers (which I've never tried before - are they any good?), but then I reminded myself that it was a good idea to HTFU
    Arm warmers are excellent as they do what it says on the tin.
    You can then remove them once warmed up or the weather changes. That is the main reason for getting them.

For what it is worth, I was wearing full winter gear on Tuesday as it was only 4 degrees with the wind chill.
    The flip side is that one week last December it was 16 degrees at 06:30, every day.
    Make the most of what you get as you can't change it and whining just gets tedious.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I have had armwarmers on this week.

and a gilet.

and 3/4

and thermal socks.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • gingaman
    gingaman Posts: 576
    My first time using arm warmers (ever) this week, they do a good job. However, if you wear a loose t-shirt you must remember to take account of the cold air rushing up your sleeves into your 'pits and tuck them in!
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    I have been deploying arm warmers for the trip in all week. Its the beauty of them- warm arms on the way in and arms free in a short sleeved top on the way home. Perfect!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    I wore a base layer top yesterday and regretted it, I was melting by the time I got to work. Simple solution to being cold, pedal harder!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Short sleeve gabba today.

I could easily have justified arm warmers AND the diluvio gloves.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • leeefm
    leeefm Posts: 260
    Base layer and leg warmers for me. But I'm riding a bit slow because of injury recovery.
    Shand Skinnymalinky
    Argon 18 Radon
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,665
    Those of you commuting in London need to refer to rule 5. It was a beautiful sunny morning with the lightest of breezes. Even on the outskirts it's barely dropping below 10˚C in the middle of the night.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    I agree, but it hasn't stopped me just ordering some Prendas arm warmers, which get good reviews, and are only £7.50 a pair.

Believe me, it felt a lot colder than 10 degrees in Surrey when I left at 6.30 this morning.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Believe me, it felt a lot colder than 10 degrees in Surrey when I left at 6.30 this morning.

My car was showing 8 degrees this morning at about 6:40am in Woking!!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    It's all about the sudden change- if this had happened over a few weeks and in September there may have been less arm warmer action but it suddenly has got 6-8 degrees colder (at least!) in the mornings literally overnight!
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Everyone remember the may bank holiday where the night temp dropped massively... I can see it happening again - and yes, I am camping again in it...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Everyone remember the may bank holiday where the night temp dropped massively... I can see it happening again - and yes, I am camping again in it...

Oddly enough... I'm up at Galtres this weekend. Staying in a friends caravan rather than my own canvas fortunately

Still going to be a bit chilly during the day. I may have to drink more beer to compensate.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • The Rookie
    7C here this (and yesterday) morning, T-shirt and baggies were fine (Down to circa +2 for me), just my fingers were chilly, I have thin and thick full fingered so may use the thins tomorrow!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    I love a conversation about weather, me...

Never considered myself as particularly nesh, but even with the heat generated by pushing on for 30 miles at 20mph average, it was full arm and leg warmers, gilet, overshoes and full finger gloves for me in the arctic north-west this morning. Blissfully comfortable after Tuesday morning's freezing (well, 6 celcius is close enough) rain.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Two weeks off the bike due to 1) novelty of new car 2) lugging papers and laptop home every night.

I was determined I wasn't going to put the central heating on yesterday but I am almost ashamed to admit that I went to bed with a hot water bottle last night. In August. I am blaming it on a single skin house with no cavity wall to insulate :oops:
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Big dose of MTFU needed here, nurse!
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • The Rookie
    I commuted for 3 years lugging a 3.5Kg laptop about!

We shut the doors now (cats miffed they can't wander in and out) it's a bit chilly
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    It's nothing to do with the weight - it's the fact that I cycle through an area that should be renamed Scrote Town and I really don't want to get robbed.

I don't know, you build a velodrome, football stadium, athletics track and squash centre somewhere so that people have something to do, and residents still feel the need to half-inch every single thing that isn't nailed down. A girl was almost raped at lunchtime in the park recently, and a bloke was caught underneath one of the team vans in the car park the other week, trying to steal the spare wheel :-(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • vermin
    msmancunia wrote:
    It's nothing to do with the weight - it's the fact that I cycle through an area that should be renamed Scrote Town and I really don't want to get robbed.

I don't know, you build a velodrome, football stadium, athletics track and squash centre somewhere so that people have something to do, and residents still feel the need to half-inch every single thing that isn't nailed down. A girl was almost raped at lunchtime in the park recently, and a bloke was caught underneath one of the team vans in the car park the other week, trying to steal the spare wheel :-(

City fans, eh. :roll:
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    vermin wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

City fans, eh. :roll:

Thats manchester for you....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Blimey, where do you lot live?

I'm still in short sleeves, single layer and track mitts. About 10 Celsius in the mornings here in Lancashire; surely it's warmer in the south.

Admittedly, I don't tend to leave home until past 8am - probably a bit nippier earlier on.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    There actually was snow the other day on the highest tops in the Highlands - even there, that's incredibly rare at this time of year.
  • vermin
    bompington wrote:
    There actually was snow the other day on the highest tops in the Highlands - even there, that's incredibly rare at this time of year.

I rode through hail in Hale on Tuesday morning, but snow is ridiculous.
  • I'm in work before 7am and the royal parks tend to be cooler, but even so it's not cold as such, though the wind/air is reasonbly cool.

I run very hot so I'd overheat with a jacket etc, before even setting off, let alone once riding.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I run very hot, so not ready for winter gear yet. Put my Castelli Fawesome on today though and it reminded me just how f'ing awesome it is. Was on the verge of needing to put my arm coolers on too - yes, you read right arm 'coolers' - I have not been able to find any arm warmers that allow any movement at the elbow without being too loose to stay up, but found some Perl Izumi arm coolers that are more stretchy and fit just perfect. They do work at keeping you from getting too hot in the summer (surprisingly) but also work as arm warmers in the winter and as I run hot are enough to take me to pretty low temps.