To what extent does doping permeate the British scene?

12346»

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,740
    giphy.gif
  • giphy.gif

Yes, self reporting is not always the most accurate way of gaining data. However, there is likely to be a far greater percentage of those who do dope, and yet will claim that they don't, than there are people who don't dope and yet will claim that they do.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • So are we saying nay to Asthma meds?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,602
    I think we are saying no to anything that isn't strictly needed to survive so water and essential food groups only and then only in the bare minimum necessary to stay alive. Medication's a strange one though as it isn't strictly speaking and essential but some people may die without it - it's a grey area in a world that apparently shouldn't have any ambiguity.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,562
    Next, level of training and type of equipment and how they are also forms of doping... this is so tedious...
  • Pross wrote:
    I think we are saying no to anything that isn't strictly needed to survive...

Perhaps you really think that is what I am arguing, but I doubt you are actually that stupid! That leaves a rather clumsy attempt to deploy a 'straw man' argument.

Bottom line is that just because something does not appear on WADA's list does not mean that it's use is not a form of doping...
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Next, level of training and type of equipment and how they are also forms of doping.

Doping? I think you had better buy a dictionary!

That said, it is not that long ago that training was indeed regarded as being a form of 'cheating', on the grounds that it undermined an ethos which held that performance should solely be a reflection of natural talent. Of course, this was in the days when the elite sought to justify their position in society on the grounds of 'natural superiority', and before the 'myth of meritocracy' and the cult of 'work' took over.