Classic Gear

Comments

• saiz_ebay_bike.jpg
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    is that one of the famous 60 odd teeth chainrings or whateve it was they were running?
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    I am so glad the UCI imposed such strict regulations for frame design.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    saiz_ebay_bike.jpg

I would love to have a go on that !!!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    speed_054.jpg

Winner of "Most beautiful brakes ever" award
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    BvWNbQHIEAEYk_j.jpg

A classic with new gear.
  • SCR Pedro wrote:

I'm not so sure. You don't have bikes like the Lotus anymore...
    I would love to have a go on that !!!

But maybe not on a windy day! :D
  • FocusZing wrote:
    BvWNbQHIEAEYk_j.jpg

A classic with new gear.

Socks are terrible! :?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Kloden's bike:
    10604687_831527756866202_535852250193981420_o.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Original Gaint TCR - best crit bike I ever rode

SAM_3949_zpsc4cc480f.jpg

once-team.jpg
  • Vuelta95
    Vuelta95 Posts: 31
    4729674e3b88304d3047ba6587c4a809.jpg
    You might have had a response from a pro cyclist on Twitter, you may even have chatted to a 'journo', but ultimately, you still know nothing. You're not an insider, no matter how much you wish you are.
  • frenchfighter
    Evans with Ms Austria in 2004.
    DDandcadel.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Evans looks slightly like Herr Lipp in that shot

HerrLipp01.jpg
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    SCR Pedro wrote:

Well, absence makes the heart grow fonder. You get lots of nostalgia, and I don't have to look at bikes which look as if they were run over by a bus (except for Pinarello, which look more like they've melted).

Even if the regulations were relaxed, I doubt that there would be so much innovation anyway. I can't see the market for 'innovative' shaped frames being so large. If this forum is anything to go by, people seem to lust after the classic steel shaped frames.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Pross wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    Lots of horrible memories coming back to me.... :shock:

1987-Kirk-Precision-Magnesium.jpg

Is this one of those Norsk Hydro frames that Dag-Otto Lauritzen rode in the 1993 Tour of Flanders and probably the rest of that season? I think Dag was still with TVM but maybe his wages were paid by N-H to promote their frame.

Does anyone have a photo of the yellow Corima carbon road frame from 1993? There was a photo of it in an issue of Cycling Weekly in February or March of that year. I'll have to dig it out.

DD.

It's a Kirk Precision frame created by Frank Kirk. I think Norsk Hydro were involved in the production later in it's life.

A club mate of mine had one. He was renovating it a couple of years ago but I don't know if he finished it. They were magnesium frames. I think they had a team for a season or two (or at least a team rode on the bikes). As I recall they were horrendously heavy.

In the UK AirMarshall rode Kirks (think Kellogs crits etc era) who were a two man team, Andy Johnson (still racing in Lincolnshire) and Hilton McMurdo (an Aussie that got busted for doping when he went back to Oz much later). These two supplemented by privateers for the Kellogs Tour etc. For the most part they rode the original yellow/green accent colourway but in the last year of sponsorship this changed to a team only mottled metallic maroon (looked better than it sounds). On the continent, TVM were also sponsored for a season but only as a secondary frame sponsor and they were not used very often.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • frenchfighter
    weinmann-610-1895-1.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    I always thought French manufactures were held back by their insistence on using centre pull brakes long after the rest of the world had started using side pull. They always look so clunky to me.
  • Paul 8v
    Have you ever tried to actually stop a bike with them? They make deltas look good!

These are the ones to have if you want centre pulls:316743EE-4730-46CA-A858-C2CB55EA84E6.jpeg
  • inseine wrote:
    I always thought French manufactures were held back by their insistence on using centre pull brakes long after the rest of the world had started using side pull. They always look so clunky to me.

Not sure that I follow you here. Weinmann were Swiss, not French, and they made side-pull brakes as well. Plenty of French manufacturers also offered side-pull brakes, such as CLB, with many models being available well before Mafac (who were French) offered their centre-pull's. Mafac's centre-pull brakes were highly regarded and they also predated those of Weinmann and Universal (who were Italian) by a good few years.
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Original Gaint TCR - best crit bike I ever rode

SAM_3949_zpsc4cc480f.jpg

once-team.jpg

What made it so good?
  • inseine
    inseine wrote:

Not sure that I follow you here. Weinmann were Swiss, not French, and they made side-pull brakes as well. Plenty of French manufacturers also offered side-pull brakes, such as CLB, with many models being available well before Mafac (who were French) offered their centre-pull's. Mafac's centre-pull brakes were highly regarded and they also predated those of Weinmann and Universal (who were Italian) by a good few years.

I wasn't talking specifically about Weinmann (more about Mafac TBH) but when I wasn't getting into cycling in the late 70s it seemed all the old bikes had centre pulls and all the cool new stuff had these lovely delicate side pulls (Campag and Shimano). Peugeot, Lejeune, Mercier etc seemed to hang onto centre pulls longer than the rest, from what I saw when I occasionally got to see photos of the Tour.
  • rick_chasey
    inseine wrote:

simpsons-nerd.gif

;) (I mean this in pure jest)
  • Paul 8v
    Haha Rick, we know you're a massive bike gear nerd too ;-)
  • Evans with Ms Austria in 2004.
    DDandcadel.jpg

What is that white stain on her stomach? Perhaps there in more to the smile on Evan's face than him being in the leader's jersey. :lol:
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    SCR Pedro wrote:
    SCR Pedro wrote:

Well, absence makes the heart grow fonder. You get lots of nostalgia, and I don't have to look at bikes which look as if they were run over by a bus (except for Pinarello, which look more like they've melted).

Even if the regulations were relaxed, I doubt that there would be so much innovation anyway. I can't see the market for 'innovative' shaped frames being so large. If this forum is anything to go by, people seem to lust after the classic steel shaped frames.

In Michael Hutchinson's (good) book "Faster" he talks about the Lotus bike (he owns one). According to wind tunnel testing today's bikes have now surpassed the Lotus for aerodynamics - ergo there has been plenty of innovation.
  • Original Gaint TCR - best crit bike I ever rode

SAM_3949_zpsc4cc480f.jpg

What made it so good?

acceleration , stiffness and some aero properties and for someone 6 foot the chance to use a compact frame - you have to remember this was a landmark frame - before it was either a 58 cm frame in 753 or a lugged and glued carbon frame (flexi) - I had a pair of eurus wheels with it and record groupset and it was a revelation
  • frenchfighter
    tumblr_naoiofykvg1rgr77do1_1280.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    Pow!
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    This is my 'daily rider' - a 1972 Fuji Newest that I bought used in 1976.

Fuji_Aug26_2014

I do still have the original Fuji suede saddle, the original tubular wheelset, and the original 47 tooth small chainring. Wheels in the picture are Weinmann A124 clinchers from a Raleigh Super Course.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • inseine
    I remember this bike but I'm not sure it had more than a couple of outings. Probably banned straight away.

15zkwg6.jpg