Classic Gear

Comments

• shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Lots of horrible memories coming back to me.... :shock:

1987-Kirk-Precision-Magnesium.jpg
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    My first pair of cycling shorts were like this. Still a classic.

greg-lemond-1986-la-vie-claire.jpg
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    shazzz wrote:

That monstrosity has no redeeming qualities whatsover.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • Had a club mate time trial on one of these :-

tj-gate1.JPG

We called him kami, short for kamikaze as he couldn't ride around a corner for toffee. Every down hill he was dropped but he could time trial by himself in a straight line fantastic- strong as an ox.

He road the flying gate into the back of a broken down MGB GT during a 10 mile time trial on St Albans dual carriageway ring road which was a straight line for about half a mile before he hit the car. He hadn't looked up once in all that time, just following the white line in his own world of pain.

He went through the back window of the car and unzipped his face on the glass, the whole club went to see him in hospital. The scar went over his forehead and all the way down one side of his face.

The things we do for cycling.

He was hauled up in front of a TT disciplinery board and banned from racing for a while. In the accident he snapped the forks which he had rebrazed but they were never quite straight. He ordered a new pair and I bought the old 531 forks off him for a training bike.

He died several years later whilst out jogging run over by a car - he never could look at what was going to happen next.

Rip Mick Groves

At the time the gates were awesome short wheelbase (and so stiff) time trail bikes.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    That's a collection of tubular wrongness.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    il_fullxfull.464963138_fqmt.jpg

Still my favourite bike/kit combo.

Yellow tyres!

marco-pantani.jpg
  • My favourite Bianchi kit

ARGENTINMoreno.JPG
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    RichN95 wrote:
    More retro kit. For me, no-one looked cooler in Oakleys than Andy Hampsten

hampsten.jpg

Add a couple of ski poles in that picture and nothing would seem odd.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    The Pinarello is an epic bike, getting hold of one must cost a king's ransom.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    shazzz wrote:

One of the club members has one of these, they were actually made just down the road from me, weird looking but interesting.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Had a club mate time trial on one of these :-

tj-gate1.JPG

We called him kami, short for kamikaze as he couldn't ride around a corner for toffee. Every down hill he was dropped but he could time trial by himself in a straight line fantastic- strong as an ox.

He road the flying gate into the back of a broken down MGB GT during a 10 mile time trial on St Albans dual carriageway ring road which was a straight line for about half a mile before he hit the car. He hadn't looked up once in all that time, just following the white line in his own world of pain.

He went through the back window of the car and unzipped his face on the glass, the whole club went to see him in hospital. The scar went over his forehead and all the way down one side of his face.

The things we do for cycling.

He was hauled up in front of a TT disciplinery board and banned from racing for a while. In the accident he snapped the forks which he had rebrazed but they were never quite straight. He ordered a new pair and I bought the old 531 forks off him for a training bike.

He died several years later whilst out jogging run over by a car - he never could look at what was going to happen next.

Rip Mick Groves

At the time the gates were awesome short wheelbase (and so stiff) time trail bikes.
    Looks twitchy! Mick sounds like he was a real character!
  • Had a club mate time trial on one of these :-

tj-gate1.JPG

Also used by the short-lived TJ-Glemp pro team featuring riders such as Maurice Burton, Geoff Wiles and
    Danny Horton!
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    And the TAG Heuer watch... all the rage in green @1990. 25 years ago... ahhhh! :oops:

I'm wearing mine as we type. (yellow face, black bezel)
    You fashion beast! :mrgreen:
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    And the TAG Heuer watch... all the rage in green @1990. 25 years ago... ahhhh! :oops:

TagF1Yellowb.jpg

That bee very cool.
  • FocusZing wrote:
    That bee very cool.

Tag-Heuer, a fashion watch that carries the price tag of a 'quality' brand, which themselves are nothing more than triumphs of Veblen marketing. Typically, even quartz Tags costing thousands contain movements costing under a tenner!

To me that plastic monstrosity looks like something that might have fallen out of a 'Lucky bag'. (Showing my age there.) Still, I am sure that the original price was justified, given that the watch has 'Formula 1' embossed in the plastic. :lol:

For the true 'WIS' something like this, Seiko's 'Orange monster', carries much more credibility (in-house mechanical movement, 'Made in Japan', certified diver rating, hewn from solid stainless steel, etc) and at a fraction of the cost of a 'Swiss made' watch, most of the parts for which will probably have come from China! Yours for under £200.

20130513_0ee329a40c4d0b7a86d0fsr3FCnLeQg7.jpg
    "an original thinker… the intellectual heir of Galileo and Einstein… suspicious of orthodoxy - any orthodoxy… He relishes all forms of ontological argument": jane90.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    FocusZing wrote:
    That bee very cool.

Tag-Heuer, a fashion watch that carries the price tag of a 'quality' brand, which themselves are nothing more than triumphs of Veblen marketing. Typically, even quartz Tags costing thousands contain movements costing under a tenner!

To me that plastic monstrosity looks like something that might have fallen out of a 'Lucky bag'. (Showing my age there.) Still, I am sure that the original price was justified, given that the watch has 'Formula 1' embossed in the plastic. :lol:

For the true 'WIS' something like this, Seiko's 'Orange monster', carries much more credibility (in-house mechanical movement, 'Made in Japan', certified diver rating, hewn from solid stainless steel, etc) and at a fraction of the cost of a 'Swiss made' watch, most of the parts for which will probably have come from China! Yours for under £200.

20130513_0ee329a40c4d0b7a86d0fsr3FCnLeQg7.jpg

How long have you had it? It's just that I've had this Tag Heuer since 1994 (sh1t!) and I have worn it everyday and in all sorts of unfavourable scenarios. I've replaced the battery twice (2x). It still runs perfectly.

I hope my Monaco stands the test of time just as well!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899 wrote:
    How long have you had it? It's just that I've had this Tag Heuer since 1994 (sh1t!) and I have worn it everyday and in all sorts of unfavourable scenarios. I've replaced the battery twice (2x). It still runs perfectly

I don't own a 'monster', I just used one as an illustration of what 'WIS' ('Watch idiot savant') types think of as being a 'credible' diving watch. My own longest running watch is a Casio digital that I use when running and is still going strong after 25 years! I paid under £15 for it.

Glad to hear that you have had such good service from your watch, but Tags these days, like most 'Swiss' watches, are vastly over-priced, classic 'veblen' goods with more spent on marketing them than actually making them! Even for many 'premium' brands, most of the parts (cases, bracelets, dials, hands and so forth) come from China and as long as the movement contains over 50% of 'Swiss' parts 'by value' (which could mean just the balance spring!) and the movement is put into the case in Switzerland, it can be marked and sold as a 'Swiss' watch.

It is a fascinating industry, especially the way the Swiss, by means of spending billions on marketing over the years, managed to turn obsolete technology - clockwork watch movements - into high-priced objects of desire. Things have really become crazy over the last few years, with watches like Omega's more than doubling in price, in part because of the relative price insensibility of the new Asian markets.
  • Ben6899 wrote:

I take it this is a basic time / date automatic? As such to get a long service life out of it you will have to get it serviced every few years at a cost of several hundred pounds a time, which is a bit rich seeing that Tag basically dress up a standard ETA movement, such as the 2892, which retails for about £200. If your watch has a chronograph function, you had better take a stiff drink before you get a quote for servicing!
  • Biffcp wrote:
    shazzz wrote:

That monstrosity has no redeeming qualities whatsover.

well it was made with magnesium extracted from sea water and magnesium is lighter than aliminium - so something!

JosephAnthonySmyth-1.jpg
  • I've got one of these - quite a classic in its time

11.jpg

and one of these which i raced on for a few years until the seat stays came out of the seat tube lug - thought it was flexing more than usual :)

30915d1284728535-alan-001.jpg
  • well it was made with magnesium extracted from sea water and magnesium is lighter than aliminium - so something!

Phil Anderson rode one for a bit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lq4ioEdou6Q
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    This was mine. I had the down tube come unglued. Sent it back to Italy and got a new one. Was always a bit whippy evn when it was all glued together!
    1zdyrgn.jpg
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Mate of mine had one of those Alans with a croce d'aune groupset. Aluminium Alans (also rebranded Guerciotti) were popular for cyclocross and the rumour was that they were built in Italian prison workshops.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 wrote:

I take it this is a basic time / date automatic? As such to get a long service life out of it you will have to get it serviced every few years at a cost of several hundred pounds a time, which is a bit rich seeing that Tag basically dress up a standard ETA movement, such as the 2892, which retails for about £200. If your watch has a chronograph function, you had better take a stiff drink before you get a quote for servicing!

It's a chronograph. A service costs about £400. No big deal: I don't waste money buying petrol or taxing/insuring a car.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Ben6899 wrote:

How long have you had it? It's just that I've had this Tag Heuer since 1994 (sh1t!) and I have worn it everyday and in all sorts of unfavourable scenarios. I've replaced the battery twice (2x). It still runs perfectly.
    I can say pretty much exactly the same about my Citizen, apart from I've never had to replace the battery. Cost me all of £50.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Ben6899
    RichN95 wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I can say pretty much exactly the same about my Citizen, apart from I've never had to replace the battery. Cost me all of £50.

Yeh the F1 cost me c.£200. It does everything a watch should and I like it. So job done.
    Ben

• type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    FocusZing wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Bo Duke wrote:

TagF1Yellowb.jpg

That bee very cool.

I had one of those back in the day, but didn't it originally come with a yellow strap? Mine certainly did. In a moment of youthful stupidity I threw it away rather than spend £28 on a new battery :oops: and bought a black/green one to replace it. Sadly it looks as old as it is:

2e018d42a92a6f7e3371016492e7526b.jpg
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • Ben6899
    You threw it away?

Anyway, getting back on topic... I really regret selling my Giant 980c Cadex frame. Carbon tubes with aluminium lugs.

Not mine, but identical colourway:
    5390246176_743ca1e199_z.jpg
    Ben

• inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    On the subject of regret, I let this go for £400.....

1zb0w0.jpg

yes, I know Campag Deltas........