1985 Gios Professional *finished page 3*

cubedean
cubedean Posts: 670
edited January 2015 in Your road bikes
I've bought this from my brother in law, he bought it as a Brian Rourke but it turns out to be a Gios.

Frame: 1985 Gios Professional

Fork: 1985 Gios

Headset: Shimano A600
Stem: Cinelli Gios
Handlebar: Cinelli
Bar Tape: Cinelli

Brake Levers/Brifters: Campagnolo
Brake Calipers: Campagnolo

Shifters: Shimano Dura ace
Front Derailleur: Unknown
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Dura ace 7sp
Cranks: Shimano Dura ace

Rims: Mavic Ma40
Hubs: Campagnolo Chorus
Hub Skewers: Campagnolo

Seatpost: Campagnolo
20140804_170338_zpseksmpdyl.jpg
20140809_111124_zpsvlcuqnax.jpg
20140809_111130_zpsfllbtdsn.jpg
20140809_111118_zpsgmtyyss8.jpg
20140809_111112_zpsvghpxa8f.jpg

Plan is to strip and restore the frame & forks & rebuild with a neoretro theme.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Front mech is Shimano 600. Nice bike - be gentle with it!!

http://midasbikes.com/shop/parts/shiman ... erailleur/
    Faster than a tent.......
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,248
    Doesn't have the Gios dropouts...

Prodigiosa_dropouts.jpg
    left the forum March 2023
  • do you think it might just be a Rourke frame paired witha Gios fork, stem, other bits?
    It'll look well when its restored I bet anyhow. :)
  • cubedean
    It is definitely a Gios, frame numbers confirmed by Gios themselves.

Also it is stamped Gios on the seat stays & bb shell.
    20140809_111137_zps1mazuu0f.jpg

Progress is going to be a little slow as I'm moving house next week and I can garrenty that the house will be on the top of the wifes priority list ;).
  • rolf_f

Prodigiosa_dropouts.jpg

That's got to be far younger than the OPs surely? I can't imagine that there were many (any?) people putting removable hangers on steel frames back in the 80s. And the droputs certainly are pretty high end on the OPs bike.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Is there any way to tell if it was originally a black, blue, or white one?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • cubedean
    team47b wrote:

Funnily enough I have only this morning asked the question to Gios. The plan for me is to go with the black colour scheme, but if they can tell me what its original colour scheme was I may be swayed away from that.
  • ugo.santalucia
    Well, the seat stays don't lie...

I wonder why Rourke put his stickers on something he only re-sprayed... if I was a frame builder, I'd never do that
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

Prodigiosa_dropouts.jpg

Neither does mine. "Gios" stamped on the fork dropouts, but nothing like that at the rear.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • cubedean

I wonder why Rourke put his stickers on something he only re-sprayed... if I was a frame builder, I'd never do that

My only thoughts are that Rourke didn't do the respray on it & someone just sticker-ed it up to suit what they wanted. It does seem strange though.
  • ugo.santalucia
    cubedean wrote:
    team47b wrote:

Funnily enough I have only this morning asked the question to Gios. The plan for me is to go with the black colour scheme, but if they can tell me what its original colour scheme was I may be swayed away from that.

Why? A Gios is blue... you could buy a Gios in any colour, as long as it was blue... of course the prettiest of all is the Super Record one... you'd regret it badly if you don't paint it blue

classic-bikes-140.jpg
  • cubedean
    Unfortunately Marco is unable to confirm the original colour. He said it should have been blue but could have been black, red or white.

I keep thinking about Gios blue but I'm just not keen on the shade of blue it is.
  • ugo.santalucia
    cubedean wrote:
    Unfortunately Marco is unable to confirm the original colour. He said it should have been blue but could have been black, red or white.

I keep thinking about Gios blue but I'm just not keen on the shade of blue it is.

It's the ONLY shade of blue and it is awesome... I have seen some lovely white ones with blue bands, but ultimately a Gios is blue... like a Ducati is red and a Ferrari is red and anyone with a non red ferrari... well, you know what I mean...
  • cubedean
    cubedean wrote:

It's the ONLY shade of blue and it is awesome... I have seen some lovely white ones with blue bands, but ultimately a Gios is blue... like a Ducati is red and a Ferrari is red and anyone with a non red ferrari... well, you know what I mean...

That would be me then. I would be one to break the mould. We shall see, ultimately im building it to ride & enjoy it not to sell it.

Black with a blue band would be my preference without a doubt.
  • rolf_f
    cubedean wrote:

My only thoughts are that Rourke didn't do the respray on it & someone just sticker-ed it up to suit what they wanted. It does seem strange though.

I think this wasn't uncommon. If seen a few 80s frames for sale painted up with a local frame builders markings. Back then, there were no internet sites listing large varieties of companies transfers - if you went to your local frame builder to get a repaint, I expect he gave you the choice of no transfers or his transfers, those being the only ones he had.
  • cubedean
    I had 10 mins on my hands this morning so I thought I would start cleaning the forks up.

I had read about using tin foil and I didn't believe it. But bloody hell does it work

Before - rough with rust spots and dull finish
    20140822_093525_zpstmoc8q8o.jpg

After - Lovely shine and no rust spots
    20140822_093723_zpscc40fdnr.jpg

I'm going to strip the frame and have it painted over winter, but for now I just want to get it tidied up and enjoy it while we still have some reasonable weather.

First I need to free up the stuck in seat post, any ideas?

Got the degreaser out and gave the drivetrain a once over & it rides much smoother now, new brake levers will be required but I need to decide on whether to keep the campy brakes or swap for some dura ace ones.

20140822_135350_zpsn6lxlskt.jpg
  • cubedean
    I have replaced the bar tape with some black cork tape today.

It is now going to be ridden until I decide to strip it down to repaint the frame in the correct colour scheme.

1408907402787_zpsnqdlwufv.jpg
    1408907326922_zpshjdfyqpc.jpg
  • New wheels & Fizik saddle on, I need to tweek the headset & sort the seat angle out. The bars will have to be swapped for a modern compact shape as I can't get used to the drop to the levers.

1410285959243_zpsifaytzwk.jpg
    1410285851840_zpsjkd808hj.jpg
    1410286051770_zps6o9ij6qh.jpg
  • Of course it's your bike and you do what you like, but I really don't get why you swapped those beautiful Mavic rims for a set of paltry Aksium, that are inferior in quality and wrong in the way they look on a period bike, especially one with heritage
  • Of course it's your bike and you do what you like, but I really don't get why you swapped those beautiful Mavic rims for a set of paltry Aksium, that are inferior in quality and wrong in the way they look on a period bike, especially one with heritage

The plan for the build is a retro build with a modern twist, I wanted to run 9/10 speed which meant I had to change the wheels out, these came up at a bargain price so I went for them. eventually I would like to build a pair up with some retroish hubs & nice rims to suit.

It won't be to every bodies tastes but I'm building it to suit me.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    You should change the wheels to whatever suits you, it won't permanently alter the bike :roll:

Anyway those chorus hubs you have are not original to a 1985 bike :D

When are you gonna start on the paint?
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • team47b wrote:
    You should change the wheels to whatever suits you, it won't permanently alter the bike :roll:

Anyway those chorus hubs you have are not original to a 1985 bike :D

When are you gonna start on the paint?

Well I noticed some pin prick holes in the seat stays last night which has me feeling deflated. I'm going to be sanding back the paint in this area tonight to reveal the extent of the tin worm.

I'm hoping to have it off to Brian Rourke at the end of the month for paint. Although this is now dependent upon the extent of the damage & if it is repairable without replacing the seat stays.
  • the new saddle is not very pretty at all. the old Rolls was better. did it not agree with your tush?

the prior wheels are very pretty and just need some modelrn challenge rubber on them.

ded newton/ 215s anatomic bends are more comfortable than the current sharp junction from your bar to level. but putting some 3T Ergonovas on that would be just plan wrong.

what about some 65 bend Cinellis? :)
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ded newton/ 215s anatomic bends are more comfortable than the current sharp junction from your bar to level. but putting some 3T Ergonovas on that would be just plan wrong.

Or Deda Speciali?
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    In answer to the OP's question about freeing an aluminium seatpin from a steel frame, there's a page of suggestions on Sheldon Brown, or failing to shift it with penetrating oil you could try caustic soda (look for clips on you tube). A method I have seen work, which Sheldon Brown covers is to cut the top off the seatpin and cut a slot in the pin (carefully) which should allow you to work it out.

I can remember staring lovingly at the Gios Compact frames with the adjustable drop outs in Dauphin Sports' window. Most, as Ugo says, were classic Gios blue, but I can also remember a gorgeous flam purple (not too far removed from the current colour) which I really lusted after.
  • the new saddle is not very pretty at all. the old Rolls was better. did it not agree with your tush?

the prior wheels are very pretty and just need some modelrn challenge rubber on them.

I found the Rolls really uncomfortable.

Thanks for the advice on the bars, I will look into them.

It will be off to Brian Rourke in a few weeks to be painted in Gios blue.

I need to free the bars from the stem as they are well and truely stuck in.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Deda newton shallow bars are a good mix between compact drop and classic shape.
    Original wheels look miles better.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Obviously each to their own on the wheels.

For me, they came in at a cracking price and as a stop gap to me having 10sp cassette it's a good compromise. I do plan to build a retro look wheelset but as yet undecided on the choice of components.

I'll check out the deda bars l.

Thanks for the suggestions.
  • A 1985 frame is supposed to have 126 mm rear dropouts. If you have a chorus hub, that's 130mm, so the frame has already been "spread". You need to check the job was done properly before fitting 10 speed. It's a bit more complicated than just taking a wood plank and spreading the tubes. The dropouts and hanger need to be realigned or you will never have decent shifting with STI and 10 speed.

I have modernised one frame in the past and I wish I didn't, as the result was not what I expected, while my refurbished 6 speed bike is flawless
  • They were in fact nuovo hubs not chorus as first thought. 126mm spacing.

10speed is fitted and now working great after adjusting the limit screws on thr derailleur.