New Names for Children

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I believe that the most popular boys names now are Ronnie, Reggie and Charlie. They appear to be all the craze.

Badum tish

Badum tish
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    I like the bit in the film "Purely Belter", set in Newcastle in about ´98 when a Geordie asks a teenager her daughters name, she says "Sheera", and he says "oh, theres a lot of those around now"...

The closest Im guessing a parent would be to name their kid after an English football star these dates would have to be "baldingginger?"
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Went to my nephews birthday party this morning and one of the girls was called Marley, all I could think of was the dog in the film with Jennifer Aniston :lol:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Each to their own.

If I'd had my way, our two might have been Jacob and Martha. Both veto'd by Mrs SS.

But Skylab, Clanger, Monkeynuts, Clodhopper or whatever is the latest fashionable name on the telly were never on the list.

PS: Regarding Spoonerisms, was in a class with a Martin Fackrell :lol:

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,624
    4kicks wrote:
    The closest Im guessing a parent would be to name their kid after an English football star these dates would have to be "baldingginger?"
    Reading that last bit quickly, my first reaction was instant ban!
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    I'm very conservative about this, because someone will end up going through school with whatever name I think up and they'll know it was my idea. Whereas one of my colleagues called her little boy "Indiana". Cue the music . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • arran77
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I'm very conservative about this, because someone will end up going through school with whatever name I think up and they'll know it was my idea. Whereas one of my colleagues called her little boy "Indiana". Cue the music . . .

I sort of agree with you Giraffoto but this is an opportunity to shape a little persons destiny :wink:

If you call a child Colin then he's going to grow up as a, well, you know.....but if you named him Bear he's already off to a far better start in life 8)
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

I sort of agree with you Giraffoto but this is an opportunity to shape a little persons destiny :wink:

If you call a child Colin then he's going to grow up as a, well, you know.....but if you named him Bear he's already off to a fatter start in life 8)
    FTFY
  • arran77
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

If you call a child Colin then he's going to grow up as a, well, you know.....but if you named him Bear he's already off to a fatter start in life 8)
    FTFY

No :P

Colin will grow up to be a boring little tw@t while Bear will be an extreme risk taking dude 8)

seanoconn
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    Ah yes Bear will undoubtedly have a great time at school, have multiple sexual partners and be great at Sport. Collin on the other hand will have terrible school days. Interestingly though at age 40 Colin will have a phd, trophy wife, a hunting lodge and A chap called Bear cleaning his DB5.
    tick - tick - tick
  • arran77
    metronome wrote:
    Ah yes Bear will undoubtedly have a great time at school, have multiple sexual partners and be great at Sport. Collin on the other hand will have terrible school days. Interestingly though at age 40 Colin will have a phd, trophy wife, a hunting lodge and A chap called Bear cleaning his DB5.

We know a Colin on here and he is really angry :wink:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

FTFY

Colin will grow up to be a boring little tw@t while Bear will be an extreme risk taking dude 8)
    Disappointingly but unsurprisingly, Bear Grylls, son of Sir and Lady Grylls, real name is Edward.
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    Giraffoto wrote:

FTFY

Disappointingly but unsurprisingly, Bear Grylls, son of Sir and Lady Grylls, real name is Edward.

Obviously Ma,maa and Pa,paa used to call him Teddy and this irritated the young lad when he went to prep school. So he probably came back one day after the trauma of a dozen wedgies to tell mater and pater that in future he is to be called Bear. And the rest is history.

Interestly Tiger Woods real name is Eldrick Tont Woods. Not much marketing in that was there?
    When my son was a nipper and used to play golf he said he wanted to be called Leopard!!
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    arran77 wrote:
    If you call a child Colin then he's going to grow up as a, well, you know.....but if you named him Bear he's already off to a far better start in life 8)

I occasionally wonder if the name causes problems at school - go with something weird and you immediately raise a threat warning on the teachers' radar, and they're predisposed to just stick them at the back with some colouring when the going gets tough. The random collection of syllables, the word that isn't really a name, the brand name or the grape variety could all do this.

Another naming peculiarity is giving the poor kid a famous surname. There was some celeb couple who wanted to name the sprog after John Lennon, so rather than the perfectly serviceable name John, they called him Lennon. Which will lead to a lifetime of spelling it out and explaining that his parents weren't a pair of lefties.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • I once went out with a girl called Coral Reeve.........
  • arran77
    I once went out with a girl called Coral Reeve.........

Did she stink of fish?

seanoconn
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    arran77 wrote:

Did she stink of fish?

Well you could go down on her.
  • Ballysmate wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

Did she stink of fish?

Well you could go down on her.

She wasn't like that atoll!
  • CHRISNOIR
    CHRISNOIR Posts: 1,400
    My missus is on various forums for new mothers and swears there's one woman who has named her kid Gucci.

In fact just the other week we were congratulated by the local registrar for choosing a 'proper name' for our kid.*

(*Belstaff Noir)
  • big_p
    big_p Posts: 565
    When I was a kid, I knew a guy who had a mate called "Irvin Grimbaldeston"

And if further proof were needed https://www.facebook.com/irvin.grimbaldeston
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Our boys were at school with a girl called Donna Kabab.

And my wife used to administer a Youth Training Scheme, and one year had a new starter called Richard Head. I'm sure his parents were unfamiliar with the term dickhead when they christened him, but that's what he was called from day one in the workplace...
  • joenobody
    joenobody Posts: 563
    I went to school with a lad called James James. It was rumored that his middle name was also James, but I suspect this was probably not the case...
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Heard of an Andrew Peacock, whose parents called him "Drew"...

My daughter went to a school holiday gym thing today where there were brothers called Pele and Zico - lots to live up to in those names.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    My surname is bad enough, heard just about every gag. Anyhow, i see loads of great names from all over the world:

Eimar Darlek
    Gabrielle Pantilica
    Titty Bang
    Dick Hardman
    Victor Ray
    Daniel Danielson
    Harry Aas (pronounced Arse)
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I have a friend called Adam, last name Munt and his sister is called Mary..honest. :lol:
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Coming late to this thread, but working overseas is a goldmine for this sort of nonsense. I currently know people called Ocean, Boyle, Janessa and Winky Wong....I also went to school with a lad called Michael Jackson......
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    In a previous job I worked with a Turkisk bloke in our Istanbul office called Fatih Berk. Very hard to keep a straight face when I phoned up and asked to speak to him.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Most unfortunate name............
    Company down in West Sussex, Bognor or Littlehampton can't remember which.
    Wayne Kerr

Wouldn't you just refuse to answer any incoming calls.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    There was (maybe is) a pub landlord in Derby called Roger Myring
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • alan_sherman
    alan_sherman Posts: 1,157
    Wife used to work for an Indian guy called pr1ksh1t. I can't remember his surname as you just don't ever register it. Turns out there are a few of them on LinkedIn so it must be a fairly common name.

Poor bloke.