New Names for Children

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited September 2015 in The cake stop
Over the last 2-3 decades many traditional boys and girls names have become 'extinct', only to be replaced by some of the most daft monikers one can imagine. Many of which can be found on the interweb. My wife has the privilege of seeing some of these newly introduced sprogs into modern Britain and some names leave me speechless. Therefore without looking up on web, what is the worst, most stupid, absurd or downright strange childrens' name you have heard.
Here are a some I know of:

Aston-Martin (Girl) - One for VTech. I knew her dad quite well. He loved Astons and even managed to get the owners club to attend the christening.

Neo (Boy) - This was the name of the first born a courier driver at an old place of work. Obvioulsy from The Matrix films and no doubt there are many poor teenage boys hanging around street corners with this one. But it was the reasoning behind the name that was more hilarious. The father and mother genuinely thought that it was a beautiful name.

Harley-Quinn (Girl) - Obviously a play on words with the Harlequin clown or the parents are ardent Rugby Union followers. Perhaps they have a son called London-Welsh.

Cafetiere (Girl) - Heard about this from a mate of mine in the North West. His wife came across whilst at work. God only knows.
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    At a friends school in Cornwall they said they have a Jupe and her brother DKNY pronounced Dickney - taking brand loyalty a bit far :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Isn't Harley-Qinn a villain from Batman
  • Nairnster
    Nairnster Posts: 602
    My mate is going to call his first born son

De Niro

I actually like that
  • mr_goo
    Our local Tesco in the summer is pretty busy with happy campers holidaying in the forest. Last year, one evening whilst enjoying the delights of trawling the aisles there was a 'grockle' family with a few kids running amok, as is their want.
    I was stood right next to the father, when he shouted at one of his sprogs.

"River!!, River!!, stop running!!".

I had to make a quick run for it to the next aisle for want of bursting out with laughter.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,025
    I'm surprised dkny was allowed. Neo seems ok though, not my taste but presumably from the Greek for new?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Girlfriend taught a kid called Sambuca. FFS
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Mr Goo wrote:

Maybe that's where the child was conceived :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Mark_P
    Mark_P Posts: 51
    God'Smercy. Precious. Summer. Jesus wept...
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Thank Christ the Germans won't let you do this. You can't christen a child with a non recognised name. So no Peaches, Brooklyns or Apples FFS
  • metronome
    metronome Posts: 670
    My mother taught a Minnie Cooper.
    tick - tick - tick
  • mr_goo
    arran77 wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Maybe that's where the child was conceived :wink:

Think if named after conception it would have been called Gutter or Bus Shelter.

Also know of a Diesel-Levi. Why not go the full hog and call the poor sod Two Stroke-Straus.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 60,589
    I heard that Brooklyn Beckham was named after where he was conceived. Just as well for him it wasn't Peckham.

Anyhow, in the interests of balance we mustn't forget the middle classes:

The+Modern+Parents.jpg
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,658
    Easily - EASILY the dumbest I've seen lately is the daughter of Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie: Shiloh Pitt.

Best. Spoonerism. Ever.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    'The name Khaleesi has become more popular than Imogen, Susannah and Betsy, according to new data from the Social Security Administration.

The moniker, which shot to prominence thanks to the character played by actress Emilia Clarke in the hit HBO series Game of Thrones, was given to 146 baby girls in 2012.

In contrast, just 111 were named Imogen, 137 were named Betsy and 138 were named Nadine.
    '

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... Betsy.html

I wonder if those 146 sets of parents have realised that 'Khaleesi' isn't even the name of the character, it's her title...
  • A number of years ago I heard a midwife, who had just come out of a delivery suite, 'So who won the sweepstake? We've now got our first Pokahontas'!

Apparently staff had a list of 'unusual' names they thought may come up and put their name against dates in a diary as to when the first baby to be named that would be born.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    While waiting for my first-born to turn up, I overheard some other parents saying "We went for Bradley, after that Bradley Walsh." The name Bradley became popular after WW2, in honour of General Omar Bradley - Omar presumably being a step too far back then. I find it hard to hold a bit part in an evening soap in the same esteem as a field marshal, but that's just me . . .
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    Where do you draw the line with kid's names. Calling your child Cafetiere is clearly idiotic and I'm all for stopping this kind of thing but why is Flower a problem when Iris or Rosemary is fine? Why is Moon slightly laughable but Selina (from the Greek for Moon) OK? A lot of names are derived from natural phenomena or objects it's just that there the Latin, Greek, Hebrew versions of those things. And a lot of now acceptable names were just made up: Vanessa for example is an invention of the author Jonathan Swift - is that any worse than Khaleesi?
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Paulie W wrote:
    Where do you draw the line with kid's names.

When I asked the registrar about ridiculous names, she told me that she makes her own own judgements and will require both parents to come in and vouch for anything outstandingly preposterous. Although I always liked the old fashioned standard of "imagine yourself calling it out in a crowded street"
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    I believe that the most popular boys names now are Ronnie, Reggie and Charlie. They appear to be all the craze.

Badum tish
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    North West?
  • mr_goo
    The UK Top 100 names of Boys and Girls is published on line at Mumsnet. In the boys top 100 there are 3 iterations of Mohammed (perhaps as one may expect I suppose). When looking at the girls list, surely there should be some correlation to this statistic.I would expect to see at least 2 girls names of Arab or Islamic origin. There are none. Strange.
  • jibberjim
    jibberjim Posts: 2,810
    Mr Goo wrote:
    The UK Top 100 names of Boys and Girls is published on line at Mumsnet. In the boys top 100 there are 3 iterations of Mohammed (perhaps as one may expect I suppose). When looking at the girls list, surely there should be some correlation to this statistic.I would expect to see at least 2 girls names of Arab or Islamic origin. There are none. Strange.

Why? There's a strong cultural practice in naming boys Mohammed, there is not as much of the cultural pressure on female, and people tend to be more varied on girls names in any case. Of course Aisha (for example) is in the top 100, even without the other spellings. The full lists for all names above 3 uses are on the ONS site, so you don't need to just look at the top 100.

Neo had 57 back in 2012 so hardly completely rare.

Mind you, I should probably dodge this subject a bit more, surprised we'd not already appeared on the thread given how many people know us and our daughter.
    Jibbering Sports Stuff: http://jibbering.com/sports/
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    jibberjim wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:

Why? There's a strong cultural practice in naming boys Mohammed, there is not as much of the cultural pressure on female, and people tend to be more varied on girls names in any case. Of course Aisha (for example) is in the top 100, even without the other spellings. The full lists for all names above 3 uses are on the ONS site, so you don't need to just look at the top 100.

Neo had 57 back in 2012 so hardly completely rare.

Mind you, I should probably dodge this subject a bit more, surprised we'd not already appeared on the thread given how many people know us and our daughter.

Can you provide a link to that ONS site please? I can't find it.
  • nathancom
    jibberjim wrote:
    What's your daughter's name, if you don't mind answering?
  • nathancom
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Wow that is remarkable that 3 spellings of Mohammed appear in the top 100 names. That suggests to me that we have people of Islamic backgrounds living in UK.
  • metronome wrote:
    My mother taught a Minnie Cooper.
    One of my great-grandmothers was called Minnie Cooper. Born in 1902, I think.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • finchy
    finchy Posts: 6,686
    As my son is half-Hungarian, I was very tempted to go with Atilla (a normal, everyday name over there), but seeing as we ended up living in the UK, it's probably a good job we chose Adam instead.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    It not just the first name, but the combination of first and last name.

I have a friend called Adam Munt, and he has a sister called Mary. Honest!

My children have fairly normal names, although they're Welsh names, but I did want to carry on a convention:
    My Dad is Stanley Robert, hence Mr S Lodge looks like Mrs Lodge
    I'm David Robert hence the Dr Lodge
    So my son is Morgan Robert, so plain old Mr Lodge ;-)
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,135
    nathancom wrote:
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Wow that is remarkable that 3 spellings of Mohammed appear in the top 100 names. That suggests to me that we have people of Islamic backgrounds living in UK.

Did you deliberately choose to omit the next little bit "(perhaps as one may expect I suppose)" in an attempt to maybe make something out of the comment that wasn't intended? My reading was that he is surprised at the lack of an obviously Islamic name on the female list, not that he is surprised there is one on the male list.