Gabba vs other

Comments

• elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    So the Gabba and the Rapha Rain Jacket have both arrived within minutes of each other and, crucially, they both fit! Huzzah.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • My rain jacket arrived also and fits but I wonder if I could've sized down...doh I should've ordered both!

But then again I might wear more layers in winter
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    Initial reaction of the Rain Jacket is that it may be more waterproof than the Gabba, it is packable but not as warm.
    This suits me as I consider the Gabba to be a Winter jacket that can also be used in Spring and Autumn, whereas I was looking for a Spring and Autumn jacket that can be used in Summer.
    A nice and snug fit and the arms are obviously to suit an on bike position but still a bit long for me.

My main fear is that it will be as poor at breathing as the Gore. Time will tell but fingers crossed......
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    can you imagine if you'd recently bought a gabba then sent it back because its too warm atm .... :roll:

you know who you are :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • PBlakeney wrote:
    My main fear is that it will be as poor at breathing as the Gore. Time will tell but fingers crossed......

This is my main fear...and though I've only tried it on indoors in a hot and humid house it didnt seem any different to the Gore :):(

Popped in to condor today to see if they had a large in stock to compare. They were sold out despite their website saying they had 3 sizes in stock...sort of knew that would be the case.

The sales guy said they weren't the best quality jacket out there, that the best material for waterproofness and breathability was goretex like that made by Gore, and goretex gets a rating of 30 out of 30 for waterproofness and breathability while the Rapha jacket gets a mere 15. Pointed me to a £200 Gore jacket (the sporty looking one that dont pack up) and the non goretex sportful no rain £120 one for a packable alternative. I didnt point out my current Gore goretex jacket was sh*t for breathability nor that the zip packed up after a year of light use.

I know the rapha one's RRP is overpriced but thats the first proper negative 'review' I've heard about the jacket. Time will tell if he was just trying to sell me something else or if he's a damn good and trustworthy salesperson.

Condor your reputation with me depends on this! ;)

My expectations have been lowered however...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I hope this helps with your expectations levels. One way or the other.

(When I say Gabba, I mean the long sleeved yellow version).

I took my Rapha Rain Jacket out for a test ride this morning. 22.7 miles at 18.2 mph average with 2 climbs.
    Conditions - Dry, 12 degrees at departure, 18 degrees on return. Normal wear would have been thin s/s base layer, s/s jersey and arm warmers. I left the arm warmers behind and added the Rain Jacket. In normal conditions I will remove the jacket once warmed up but I decided to test the jacket and pretend it was raining so the jacket stayed on and zipped up.
    Initial conclusions - Not as breathable as the l/s Gabba but slightly better than the Gore, and a better fit.
    The Gabba is the jacket of choice, the Rapha is the more versatile as it can be put in a pocket and the Gore is relegated to the bottom of the commuting bag for days when it is dry going in but wet going home.

Uses:-
    Dark - Gabba.
    Cold - Gabba.
    Mild & wet - Gabba.
    Mild & changeable - Rapha Rain Jacket.
    Warm & changeable - Rapha Rain Jacket.
    Warm & wet - Rapha wind jacket. (The wind jacket is in no way water proof but it is much more breathable).
    Hot & changeable or wet - Rapha wind jacket.

I hope this helps.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • PBlakeney wrote:

I took my Rapha Rain Jacket out for a test ride this morning. 22.7 miles at 18.2 mph average with 2 climbs.
    Conditions - Dry, 12 degrees at departure, 18 degrees on return. Normal wear would have been thin s/s base layer, s/s jersey and arm warmers. I left the arm warmers behind and added the Rain Jacket. In normal conditions I will remove the jacket once warmed up but I decided to test the jacket and pretend it was raining so the jacket stayed on and zipped up.
    Initial conclusions - Not as breathable as the l/s Gabba but slightly better than the Gore, and a better fit.
    The Gabba is the jacket of choice, the Rapha is the more versatile as it can be put in a pocket and the Gore is relegated to the bottom of the commuting bag for days when it is dry going in but wet going home.

Dark - Gabba.
    Cold - Gabba.
    Mild & wet - Gabba.
    Warm & wet - Rapha wind jacket. (The wind jacket is in no way water proof but it is much more breathable).

I hope this helps.

Cheers, I'm not intending to use it above 12 degrees initally anyway and I'll be very happy if it's useable up to 10 degrees if I'm honest.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    The Gabba does have a wetsuit feel about it!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • elbowloh wrote:
    The Gabba does have a wetsuit feel about it!

Gabba wearers take note - I want to see you in diving masks next time there's heavy rain. And a snorkel, maybe.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    the rapha rain jacket is immense, its as good as my old gore jacket.
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    spasypaddy wrote:
    the rapha rain jacket is immense

Perhaps you bought the wrong size? ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    PBlakeney wrote:

Dark - Gabba.
    Cold - Gabba.
    Mild & wet - Gabba.

I hope this helps.

An excellent post. And spot on IMO.

Arguably mind, you could cover all bases with a convertible Gabba and Rapha Wind. If you're warm then the Rain Jacket will make you that bit warmer. In some ways so will the wind jacket.

To be honest, unless I'm going out in rain in the summer, I just get wet now. Perhaps add a gilet.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • itboffin
    i wore my sportful hot pack 5 this evening in the pissing rain, my arms were totally soaked which is weird but the rest of my torso completely dry over a slow 1 hr 20 min hilly ride home.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • f*ck it I bought the Gabba as well for £84.99 with discount code 'ECWC5C' from Evans. Size bigger than I wanted but hopefully will be ok.

Evans have a 90 day returns policy and it will sit in the packet for a little while until I get a chance to test out the breathability of the Rapha rain jacket. Will make a decision on whether to keep both or return/sell one then...F*cking f*ck how much money have I spent lately?!?! And why am I hoping for the end to good weather ffs!!!!!!
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Can anyone recommend some nice yellow waterproof overshoes to compliment my yellow gabba?

#tarting up for winter.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    iPete wrote:
    Can anyone recommend some nice yellow waterproof overshoes to compliment my yellow gabba?

#tarting up for winter.
    Wont they clash with the tarty pink bike?
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    dhope wrote:
    iPete wrote:

#tarting up for winter.
    Wont they clash with the tarty pink bike?

The frame will get switched to the less tarty red Trek T1 come winter :( and I can paint that yellow so it all matches...
  • itboffin
    You'd be annoyed if you'd returned your gabba a few weeks ago wouldn't you.

:roll:
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    spasypaddy wrote:
    the new gabba has a completely new look.

care to elaborate?
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    vermin wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    the new gabba has a completely new look.

care to elaborate?
    Castelli-Gabba-2-Jersey-Short-Sleeve-Jerseys-Black-AW14-CS145110102-0.jpg
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Much more subtle - not sure it's an improvement.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bendertherobot
    Zip covers a great addition
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Much nicer. Was always put off by the advertising hoarding styling. Is that what one might receive were one to order from evans today?
  • bendertherobot
    vermin wrote:
    Much nicer. Was always put off by the advertising hoarding styling. Is that what one might receive were one to order from evans today?
    No. Not released for a few weeks and will retail at "normal" rrp
  • meanredspider
    Wore my LS Gabba today for the first time in anger. I'm a bit surprised how flappy the arms are. Whilst I'm no Mr Universe, I also don't have "cyclist's" arms. The SS arms are quite tight.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • bendertherobot
    I'm hoping they sort that on the new LS version. The old one also has rouched wrists but the new one looks like it will have something a bit more high tech.
  • meanredspider
    Yup - needs sorting really. Descending at about 60kmh the flapping was pretty noticeable - felt like it might be adding drag (that's my excuse for only coming 5th fastest on the long descent near me - the fact that the other top 33 places are held by the stage race participants from the 19th July is no excuse :wink: )