Gabba vs other

cookeeemonster
cookeeemonster Posts: 1,991
edited September 2014 in Commuting chat
Ok, sales are on, want a better waterproof than my Gore Path...which was 100% waterproof, warm, not usable above 5 degrees due to breathability issues and the zip broke after just over a year of light use. Didnt pack up small either.

Anyway...I run hot, breathability is an issue. Will be used for my commute of 50 minutes+

So the much praised gabba...it's a jersey, and not one of those 'doesn't smell after you use it' merino etc ones I think...might be wrong.

And I'm thinking there are weeks when rain is forecast pretty much everyday, regardless of whether it does or not.

What do you gabba wearers do?? Wash it after every ride or couple of rides? I'm just thinking I may be better off getting a proper packable and decent rain jacket i.e. Rapha rain jacket if it's in the summer sale or Castelli Muur (£138 from bike inn). Not as breathable but better than what I got, and I can wear other tops with it.

I dunno, what you lot think? I was thinking that maybe I could use the long sleeve gabba as a sort of jacket- would that work or no point?

Comments

• smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639
    FWIW everyone I know with a rapha jacket raves about it. Have you considered a gillet/arm warmer combo? Personally I use this with a jersey and have just pulled the trigger on a castelli upgrade that uses gabba tech on it. Its cheaper and more flexible than a full on rain jacket.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I'm just going to back quietly away from this thread before I end up buying something expensive...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • the_fuggler
    the_fuggler Posts: 1,228
    Gabba is very good (I also run hot - and I do get pretty warm in it), but I tend to treat it as a jersey rather than a jacket. Wash after each day. I'd probably go for an out-and-out jacket in your situation.
    FCN 3 / 4
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    I use my Gabba in temperatures lower than 10 degrees so it can be used extensively from Autumn to Spring but I wouldn't dream of using it in the Summer. In the winter I use a combination of the Gabba and alternate between lightweight s/s merino base layers and thicker l/s merino base layers (no jersey) depending on temperature and that works perfectly.
    I now go along with the thinking of just get wet in the Summer, or use a wind jacket to keep the chill and light showers off.
    Any rain proof jacket will have breathability problems when it is warm in my opinion but I look to be proven wrong on that point.
    I treat mine as a jacket and wash it every week or two, or when it gets dirty from spray etc.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    dhope wrote:
    I'm just going to back quietly away from this thread before I end up buying something expensive...
    Indeed. But then...
  • cookeeemonster
    cheers for the replies so far everyone. Looks like the rapha jacket or LS gabba used as a jacket in winter are my best options. I would never use them in the summer anyway, but it'd be nice to have the option on the cooler spring/autumn days when its raining.

Smokey bacon I hadn't considered the gilet option, not sure I'd like that on a colder winter day when its heavy rain, but it's an interesting thought nevertheless. Possibly an ideal situation would have me buy a load of stuff for different temperatures but no, dHope was right to back away, this could get expensive...:)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I am tempted by the L/S Gabba, especially as the amount of raving it gets. Think I need a gilet for the warm, but wet days to keep the core warm and dry....

how cold will the gabba go down to with, say, L/S baa baa merino underneath?
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I treat mine as a jersey and rinse the pits after each ride. You want to be careful with washing it as the waterproofing i actually only a treatment which wears over time and has to be retreated.

I run hot too so can only wear it on its own which is fine due to its wind proofing properties but it can get wet.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • dhope
    Veronese68 wrote:
    dhope wrote:
    Indeed. But then...
    But then what? It's not like I've already come back to the thread, 20mins later or anything

I did get paid yesterday...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 26,969
    coriordan wrote:
    I am tempted by the L/S Gabba, especially as the amount of raving it gets. Think I need a gilet for the warm, but wet days to keep the core warm and dry....

how cold will the gabba go down to with, say, L/S baa baa merino underneath?
    I have ridden comfortably in similar gear at -5. Ice than becomes the over riding factor.
    And good gloves.
    At -5 it can feel chilly until you warm up but then it is comfortable. Anything comfortable before warming up will get too hot.
    FYI - My earlier post refers to the long sleeve version.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    Sod it. Bought it.

I hate you all
  • dhope
    Anyone else have the Mortirolo?
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-mortir ... -jacket-1/

Got it last year and wondering if it serves a similar purpose to the Gabba...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Craft offer an alternative
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • cookeeemonster
    coriordan wrote:
    Sod it. Bought it.

I hate you all

GRRRRRRRR IF YOU'VE TAKEN MY SIZE....

:P
  • cookeeemonster
    Actually I'm leaning towards waiting for the rapha sale...which means it wont happen/they wont have my size then I'll look back at the gabba only to find they've also sold out etc etc etc
  • Anonymous
    Looked at the Pro Team Jacket but didn't have all sizes and still another 30 quid not including postage.
  • rubertoe
    I wonder if Eddie had a gabba, or if he just had a dose of MTFU for breakfast and got on with it....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I have the Mortirolo - much thicker and warmer than the Gabba.
    I have the Fawesome, which is f'ing awesome - a Gabba gilet with a more breathable back.

Then I got the Gabba converible - long sleeve but sleeves zip off to short sleeve. Only got a few rides in early spring before it was too warm to wear really. I was fantastic both with/without the sleeves attached and the ability to swap mid-ride was really useful. I think it would go pretty gold before being too cold for it if you layer properly - need to make sure you get a size which allows for some layering underneath to do that though. I tried not to wash it any more than I had to, so because I didnt use it for long yet, its only been washed once. Always had a base layer underneath but one of the things I liked about Gabba is that it is comfy on the skin - so many waterproofs or even soft shells feel uncomfortable on the arms unless you have a long sleeve base layer on underneath.

They say that the ideal choice is the short sleeve Gabba with Nanoflex armwarmers. Trouble is that very few armwarmers fit me - they are either too tight round the elbow for me to flex my arm or they fall down because they dont grip at the top.
  • dhope
    Actually I'm leaning towards waiting for the rapha sale...which means it wont happen/they wont have my size then I'll look back at the gabba only to find they've also sold out etc etc etc

Buy both, return the one you don't like.

Net result, keep both.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • cookeeemonster
    dhope wrote:

Buy both, return the one you don't like.

Net result, keep both.

f**king genius ;)
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I lost my Fawesome gilet a while back but ordered a new one from PBK today. £46. In Neon.

Fawesome.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • cookeeemonster
    coriordan wrote:
    Looked at the Pro Team Jacket but didn't have all sizes and still another 30 quid not including postage.

I've got that (leaving present from my previous work), it's currently in their clearance for £130 so shame they dont have your size.

According to a review I read (road.cc) the guy said he got cold at 8 degrees or something...I literally overheat wearing it at that temperature, it's my ideal jacket for around the freezing mark or below, and thats just wearing a SS baselayer so context is everything in these reviews. It's a really good bit of kit actually, and I'll happily wear it in light rain in spring/autumn...does soak through but you'll be warm...unless you're standing around in the cold and wet maybe
  • cookeeemonster
    rubertoe wrote:
    I wonder if Eddie had a gabba, or if he just had a dose of MTFU for breakfast and got on with it....

Nah Eddie generally wore ski jackets and those stupid glasses
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    I lost my Fawesome gilet a while back but ordered a new one from PBK today. £46. In Neon.

Fawesome.
    thats really cheap but i want it in black. and i have no need as i cant even walk nevertheless ride...
  • Anonymous
    I am good around freezing with my Baa baa l/s base layer with an old Assos Airblock so the Gabba will mean I am warm if caught out in the rain, as all I have at present is a £10 quid mac from Aldi (which works excellently, just not very race fit!

I am looking at gilets as I think I need something when it's raining and I don't want a raincoat - just enough to keep the body warm and dry. Notably for Saturday!
  • rubertoe
    spasypaddy wrote:

Fawesome.
    thats really cheap but i want it in black. and i have no need as i cant even walk nevertheless ride...

Cant you get one for your plaster... you dont want to get that wet.

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Question: "what do 90% of the pro-peloton wear when it is wet and cold"

Answer: "the Gabba"

Wouldn't bother with Rapha. Sky riders always look F*cking miserable when it's wet. IMHO their 'technical' kit isn't a patch on the likes of Castelli.

Also for whoever it was worrying about smell and washing, the Gabba works best clean and care instructions suggest regular washing....
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Shame you cant get the 'pro' version anymore http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-40575/
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    apreading wrote:
    Shame you cant get the 'pro' version anymore http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/arti ... ook-40575/

Gabba Jerseys and black Sharpies are still both available - unless you particularly like the box...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    rubertoe wrote:
    Craft offer an alternative

So do Capo...
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875