Injured now with pics! - Back racing!

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    cheers.

Got the Dr on monday where hopefully i'll get good news. but knowing my luck i wont get it.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    spasypaddy wrote:
    cheers.

Got the Dr on monday where hopefully i'll get good news. but knowing my luck i wont get it.

Oh dear, that's not a good place to be in. What has happened is cr@p. You're probably bored, can't get around to do the things you need to do, the novelty of a hot pink cast is wearing off, (in my case as soon as I realised I couldn't even peel a potato), you have to rely on people to do things for you, AND you won't be able to ride your bike for ages.

Sitting around feeling sorry for yourself isn't going to do you any good and could even give you a set back. Try to keep to a routine, use the time to do something new, read all the books by Emile Zola, or learn something, research things to ask your doctor how to speed things up a bit, like diet, and physio, and mental well-being, and then do them. You have to think positively although it is hard. And remember that 1) it could have been much, much worse, and 2) you'll be back on your bike in the spring, and it'll be ace.

Chin up :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • vermin
    vermin Posts: 1,739
    Just realised that, despite reading it daily to see how you're getting on, I haven't actually posted in this thread yet.

As Ms Manc says, keep your chin up, don't spend all your money in the rapha sale, stay away from castelli cafe and concentrate on other positive stuff rather than beating yourself up about being off the bike. You'll fix soon enough and will be back on two wheels before you know it.

GWS
  • spasypaddy
    im just being realistic.

im in a routine, im working from home. i have the cricket on which is good as it keeps me entertained all day. ive started a new tv series (the shield). but i dont tend to get luck so if i go in expecting bad news on monday and i dont get it then i'll be even happier, but im preparing myself for 2 more weeks in a new cast.

i cant even get things in and out of the fridge or make a cup of tea nevertheless contemplate peeling a potato.

im staying positive, my friend came over with her 11 month old this morning which was nice and tonight im going to my gfs mums for dinner and tomorrow im going to watch Barnet play.
  • vermin
    Good man. But, Barnet? sheesh.
  • vermin
    spasypaddy wrote:
    season ticket holder 8)

Good man. I live 5 mins walk from Altrincham FC, who will be at your place in 5 weeks. Now we're a long way from the Den we have forgone our season tickets, so intend to get along to Alty a bit. Let me know if you're coming up for the return game on 28 Feb.
  • spasypaddy
    i can tell you now i wont be coming to altrincham!

i go to the away days that are near to london but not manchester.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    spasypaddy wrote:
    im just being realistic.

im in a routine, im working from home. i have the cricket on which is good as it keeps me entertained all day. ive started a new tv series (the shield). but i dont tend to get luck so if i go in expecting bad news on monday and i dont get it then i'll be even happier, but im preparing myself for 2 more weeks in a new cast.

i cant even get things in and out of the fridge or make a cup of tea nevertheless contemplate peeling a potato.

im staying positive, my friend came over with her 11 month old this morning which was nice and tonight im going to my gfs mums for dinner and tomorrow im going to watch Barnet play.

Mate, in the past few months my colleagues have had to deal with deaths in road races, a death at a track, and only a couple of weeks ago a guy rode into the back of a steamroller trying to get back to the main bunch in a road race and he ended up in an induced coma. We get calls every day that are a lot worse. You ARE lucky. You just need to think about it in a different way. Take some time to count your blessings and you'll see you have so much to be thankful for.

And Barnet? Well, can't help with that one! :D
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • spasypaddy
    i never said i wasn't lucky in the fact that im still alive however for there to be a car on the road where i had the accident was unlucky. for there to have been mud on the corner of the road was unlucky. for the original hospital to not be able to operate on me for 3 days was unlucky, for them to then not be able to provide me with an ambulance to transport me to another hospital was unlucky. to spend 6 hours in recovery as no ward in the hospital wanted to take me was unlucky.

however yes im lucky to be alive. now i need some more luck in getting my recovery properly under way next week with this cast coming off and getting into a splint and starting physio.
  • iwantblue
    iwantblue Posts: 134
    I thought you must have been a Lampre fan? nice blue fade with a spray gun, but have to agree Rapha stencil would probably look better..

Good luck with the next appt. and on your recovery as a whole, a guy at work snapped both of his at the same time in a weightlifting incident, so I know its a long job, but as long as you have the same attitude he did you can definitely aim at the lower end of the scale, but he had exactly the appt's. you have next and got some 'another two weeks' setbacks etc... but still didn't take too much longer, and obviously without a good leg at all recovery physio was even harder in his case.you'll have the graduated limited movement braces to look forward to too :)

I also noticed the Giro's appeared unmarked ;)

Fast Recovery..
  • spasypaddy
    Dr went well!

now in a leg brace which allows movement from 10 degrees to 30 degrees. and can start physio!

im pretty happy right now :)
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    Dr went well!

now in a leg brace which allows movement from 10 degrees to 30 degrees. and can start physio!

I've found Physio's to be great.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Dr went well!

Especially if they're hot. In which case can I make the obligatory request for pictures. :-)
    Glad the appointment went well, now you can start working towards your recovery.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    spasypaddy wrote:
    now in a leg brace which allows movement from 10 degrees to 30 degrees.
    This means that with short enough cranks you can get back on the bike (maybe wiser to start with a turbo).

Back of the envelope calculation suggests that 1" cranks should do it :roll:
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    TGOTB wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    now in a leg brace which allows movement from 10 degrees to 30 degrees.
    This means that with short enough cranks you can get back on the bike (maybe wiser to start with a turbo).

Back of the envelope calculation suggests that 1" cranks should do it :roll:

But only on the injured side, right?

GWS, spasypaddy.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I'm just a bit puzzled, what were you doing going down Tanhurst Lane, since its only the ascent that's on the route (near the end)?
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • spasypaddy
    both mine and my mates garmins were playing up so we were kind of blagging the route via the mapping page rather than on screen directions. and that looked like the right way to go.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    spasypaddy wrote:
    both mine and my mates garmins were playing up so we were kind of blagging the route via the mapping page rather than on screen directions. and that looked like the right way to go.

In that case I think you have a claim against Garmin! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Nice one , as veronese will be alog to say in a minute, listen to the physio and do what they tell you to do.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spasypaddy
    believe me i will be doing everything i am told to.

ive been doing the excercises i was given on monday every hour if not more often
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    spasypaddy wrote:
    believe me i will be doing everything i am told to.

ive been doing the excercises i was given on monday every hour if not more often
    But don't over do it either!
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • spasypaddy
    that im also wary of! at the moment my exercises involve basically getting some basic movement back in my leg. i can only bend it 30 degrees. thats almost nothing. so every time i get up and move i flex it a few times.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,329
    rubertoe wrote:
    Nice one , as veronese will be alog to say in a minute, listen to the physio and do what they tell you to do.
    Am I that predictable? :oops:
    Mind you after the injection for my frozen shoulder I did all the exercises I was told to, by the time I saw the physio I practically had full movement and she signed me off there and then. Sounds like you have the right attitude Spasy, heal fast.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    spasypaddy wrote:
    Dr went well!

Especially if they're hot. In which case can I make the obligatory request for pictures. :-)
    Glad the appointment went well, now you can start working towards your recovery.

well I got various young students pushing me about early on, I get the feeling I was quite a interesting and difficult case, in some ways, though the difference has been simply staggering. or rather no longer staggering!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    This physio is she fit?

Pics? You know the rules
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • spasypaddy
    i'll report back after my first session which is at 3.30 today
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I remember the first time I had physio after breaking my arm, I had to walk through this long room (a bit like a school gym) full of people receiving physio and, I tell no lie, every single PT was really hot. I turn up to my physio and lets just say she wasn't. She was like Big Daddy in a permed wig. Very, very disappointing.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • spasypaddy
    physio was good however ive been told i cant go to visit her again as she isnt covered by my insurance so today cost me money that it shouldnt do.

she was also not attractive before anyone asks.

first set back as now when i see another physio im a minimum of a week behind schedule depending on when i can get a recommendation elsewhere and then when they can see me.