Injured now with pics! - Back racing!

Comments

• spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    so some pics. Having seen the Dr today i had my stitches taken out, and a new cast fitted. Fingers crossed if i heal as well as i have done these past two weeks then I can possibly start physio in 2 weeks!!!!

I've linked them rather than post them as they are big images and some of them are gory!

At the scene of the accident
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... hyqjlw.jpg

In the hospital
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... gssbdc.jpg

First cast/brace
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... s0ay2w.jpg

Stitches out, it appears i've been zoro'd
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... mepztj.jpg

My new cast 8)
    http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd24 ... kojidz.jpg
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Ouch. Good work having someone else hold your leg up so you can get a good pic though. A lesser man would have been unconcerned with providing snaps for the interwebs :D
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    It's just a flesh wound....
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • spasypaddy
    leg had to be held up and straight to try and stop the bleeding and because i knew i'd done some real damage. ive done this before on the other knee (well the gash anyway, not the ruptured tendon part) so i kind of knew what to do!
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Tis but a scratch.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Yikes - I didn't realise it would be *quite* that bad. Sending you a virtual bottle of Vimto (it cures all known ills) and a Mancunian Get Well Soon :)
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • Reminds me of a pal who thought she'd just nicked her pinkie finger until she realised she couldn't bend it. Yup - sliced tendon, similar zig-zag stitching and a monster cast for a while.

Hope it heals well - and that the physio works for you afterwards. It's taken her a good 6-8 months to get more or less full motion back in the finger.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    At least you're going to get a decent scar out of it! :D
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    Ouch indeed. Good luck with the physio, make sure you do everything asked of you to speed up the healing process.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Good work from keeping the claret away from the white giro's.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Ouch.

Pics of the bike and car?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Lovely rapha pink cast - get someone good with calligraphy to sign that bad boy with the right text :)

I guess your shaved pins helped a little too. Heal quickly - for such a seemingly small wound it's a doozy - though I went through the pics of the surgery itself and the carnage is quite impressive due to what they have to do.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Why is there an arrow drawn on your shin?

"This is the one that needs repairing, just in case you didn't see the giant gash."?

"Remove stitches from here. As opposed to the knee with no stitches in it"?

"This way up"?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    PBo wrote:
    Why is there an arrow drawn on your shin?

"This is the one that needs repairing, just in case you didn't see the giant gash."?

"Remove stitches from here. As opposed to the knee with no stitches in it"?

"This way up"?
    When I broke my arm I had to have pins and wires inserted. When I in hospital to have the metal removed, they gave me the anaesthetic and as they were wheeling me to theatre and I was starting to go under, one of the doctors asked me "just as a last check, it is the left arm isn't it?". No, it's the right!!! All the paperwork said left arm, so they hurriedly scribbled over the paperwork and then got a big, black marker and wrote "THIS ONE" on my right arm.

True story.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • rubertoe
    Isnt the NHS the best health service in the world....
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    I had 3 operations on my broken leg and each time when they consented me, they got out the big black permanent marker and drew a big arrow to the injury. It is meant to reduce errors.
  • rubertoe wrote:

They in my experince rock if it's serious, it's the niggling stuff and orgnsation that they are pants at
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Only good things to say about the NHS
    left the forum March 2023
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    rubertoe wrote:

Yeah, they're pretty damn good. I'd rather they drew stupid-looking patterns on you with a big marker than say get the wrong knee/elbow/eye/liver.

(you get drawn on if you go private too, but they use more expensive pens)
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    rubertoe wrote:

They in my experince rock if it's serious, it's the niggling stuff and orgnsation that they are pants at
    This, all the major stuff they are absolutely brilliant at. Can't fault them for that. Little and non urgent stuff can be frustrating. But, obviously I far prefer them to prioritise the important stuff.
  • spasypaddy
    for A&E the NHS are fantastic.

for appointments with drs/physio/check ups not so much
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Not here, had loads of physio and other appointments and i was never more than 5 minutes after my stated time
  • spasypaddy wrote:
    for A&E the NHS are fantastic.

for appointments with drs/physio/check ups not so much

My GP referred me to the wrong group, who essentially said no your not our sort of thing, but who referred me to a place where I was their sort of thing.

GP was good, though the physo has been fantastic, my walk and balance has improved increadably. I clearly am a intresting case so have a number of student physo helping/following.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I had the same with my knee recently all the paperwork said right knee yet all of the eight people i saw in A&E knew it was the left, eventually the surgeon took a marker circling the wound and drawing a masshoof black arrow
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    I said that with toungue firmly in cheek, every one knows that yhe nhs is amazing, its the bs bureaucracy that sucks.

• PBo
    I understand arrows as a failsafe for internal stuff that any be seen...it just seems OTT for he visible stuff...
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I understand arrows as a failsafe for internal stuff that any be seen...it just seems OTT for he visible stuff...

You come off your bike, your right knee hits the chainring/sharp bit of car/roadsign etc and gets a big gash. Meanwhile your left knee gets wrenched around and does a load of tendon/ligament damage without any external wound.

The theatre team then prep and operate on your right knee because it's 'obvious' which one you've hurt.... :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • PBo
    bails87 wrote:

You come off your bike, your right knee hits the chainring/sharp bit of car/roadsign etc and gets a big gash. Meanwhile your left knee gets wrenched around and does a load of tendon/ligament damage without any external wound.

The theatre team then prep and operate on your right knee because it's 'obvious' which one you've hurt.... :wink:

Good point, well made!!
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Yikes Spasypaddy! Nasty crash. Good to hear you're in one piece.