Wiggins interview

Comments

• Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    If I get all that I asked for, but you don't get everything that you asked for, I haven't got any more than if we both got what we wanted. Similarly, if I talk down your man, that doesn't make my man better.

Confucius/Coriander - easily confused, maybe.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    It has nothing to do with it. I ask because we are always told Sky and Wiggins have done wonders for cycling but I have yet to read or talk to someone who started cycling because of it.

I have no problem with more people taking up the sport apart from the fact the prices have more than doubled.

I came back to it partly because of British Olympic success in 2008.

Which is odd, as being Irish, British Olympic success isn't something we generally get enthused by

(It was also partly inspired by the documentary following Marc Beaumont's round the world ride)
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    EPC06 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:
    Curious if anyone on here started riding a bike because of Wiggins?

Probably not on here, but there has been a huge increase in the number of Sky Full Kit W@nkers on my local roads in last 3 years

Have you ever been overtaken by one?

Ha..certainly not

Same. Ditto Rapha riders.

I'll happily destroy you in Surrey in rapha kit mate ;).
  • tailwindhome
    Not sure why Wiggins doing PR and the Olympics needs to impact the rest of the squad adversely.
    Plenty of other races for Thomas to crash out of.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I started cycling, because of watching Team GB (Sky involved) and then started watching Team Sky races. It was Cav winning the WC that hooked me fully.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642

Sounds like a challenge to be take up this year :D
    Contador is the Greatest
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    dsoutar wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:

Probably not on here, but there has been a huge increase in the number of Sky Full Kit W@nkers on my local roads in last 3 years

What an astonishingly pejorative statement. You must obviously engage with these people a lot to be able to make what to everyone else would seem an incredibly sweeping judgement.

By the way I'm not a Sky fan nor have I ever owned any of their kit.

Lighten up...i didnt invent the phrase, its been around for some time and doesnt just encompass cycling. Although it might seem a little deragatory its just a joke

Fact remains since Team Sky have come onto the scene, and following Wiggins's success I have noticed a marked increase in number of cyclists out at the weekend many clearly inspired by their/his exploits in the TDF....and proud to wear the kit. just an observation
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It has nothing to do with it. I ask because we are always told Sky and Wiggins have done wonders for cycling but I have yet to read or talk to someone who started cycling because of it.

I have no problem with more people taking up the sport apart from the fact the prices have more than doubled.

I've had several conversations with London cabbies (while waiting patiently at the lights 8)) about Wiggo and the team. In my experience sharing the road became easier and more pleasant with all the exposure. It was a huge turnaround in a very grim year.

Brailsford and Rupert Murdoch have done more for public health in this country than any number of anti-obesity awareness agendas. They should get a slice of the savings to the NHS as an incentive to other driven people to come up with more creative schemes.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • epc06
    When was the last time a rider won the TDF and never got the chance to defend it or ever ride it again?
  • tailwindhome
    EPC06 wrote:
    When was the last time a rider won the TDF and never got the chance to defend it or ever ride it again?

This was discussed in the previous Wiggins thread or maybe the one before that.

Coppi was the last - didn't race it again after his 2nd win

There were a couple of others - interrupted by the war IIRC.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    EPC06 wrote:
    I think we worked out it was Fausto Coppi in 1952 (although it was very nearly LeMond)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Macaloon wrote:

I've had several conversations with London cabbies (while waiting patiently at the lights 8)) about Wiggo and the team. In my experience sharing the road became easier and more pleasant with all the exposure. It was a huge turnaround in a very grim year.

Brailsford and Rupert Murdoch have done more for public health in this country than any number of anti-obesity awareness agendas. They should get a slice of the savings to the NHS as an incentive to other driven people to come up with more creative schemes.

Rupert Murdoch has done more for public health in this country etc :lol::lol::lol:
  • epc06
    RichN95 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:
    I think we worked out it was Fausto Coppi in 1952 (although it was very nearly LeMond)

ah ok...thanks both

I wonder if any other teams have sounded him out about riding for them as #1 on a big massive contract?
  • smokey_bacon
    smokey_bacon Posts: 1,639

That would be me. Having watched Cav get the red jersey in the Giro & Wiggins win the Tour it inspired me to get on a bike and ride.

I also have some Rapha stuff and will be on lead out duties for Rick :D
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    EPC06 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:

ah ok...thanks both

I wonder if any other teams have sounded him out about riding for them as #1 on a big massive contract?

I think Coppi's dead!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins is to Sky and British Cycling what Ryan Giggs is to Manchester United. He's so much part of the furniture and brand that they'll keep him around as long as he wants to be and can make some sort of contribution. If he gets indulged then it's because he's earned it.
    Absolutely and with good reason.

He won the Tour and that gives you privilege.

If his riding the track and targeting the spring classics gets people interested then more power to him.

Contador has won three Tours, two Giros and Two Vueltas.

Following on from your reasoning I wonder what privileges he should be entitled to?
    Drug cheats need only to count themselves lucky to be in the sport at all.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    Do we really need a new thread everytime Wiggins does an interview? The pattern is always the same:

- a few posts commenting on what little of substance has been said;
    - wind-up merchants pass comment on stuff that wasn't said;
    - everyone else reacts.

Perhaps a dedicated Wiggins thread might stop the nonsense?
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    To be fair Wiggin's is following the tried and tested British formula for sport, win one big thing then bask in the glory and money, while slightly putting in a half hearted effort to continue doing it, until you retire. If he were German, Aussie, Yank or else he'd have to Froome to f**k off and gone for the 2nd TDF win and generally dominating the sport.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    Jez mon wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:

Have you ever been overtaken by one?

Ha..certainly not

Same. Ditto Rapha riders.

Oh no, not new people enjoying your sport. Do make sure to point out to them that you liked cycling before it was fashionable, and are therefore better people.

Nail on head. That is obviously what gets up the nose of some on here. Hey....I have been riding for years, my support and comments are worth much more than yours. Go away I liked it more as a minority passtime. Whinge. :lol:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    mike6 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

Oh no, not new people enjoying your sport. Do make sure to point out to them that you liked cycling before it was fashionable, and are therefore better people.

Nail on head. That is obviously what gets up the nose of some on here. Hey....I have been riding for years, my support and comments are worth much more than yours. Go away I liked it more as a minority passtime. Whinge. :lol:
    If you watch this sport long enough you have to start liking all the uncool stuff that the noobs like so that you distinguish yourself from those people who are desparate to distinguish themselves from the noobs. (But you also have to mention the 80s a lot as well). And even then you get trumped by someone like Deejay telling you about the time he raced Alfredo Binda.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    Think you lot all take ff a little too seriously...
  • rick_chasey

Make it happen. I'm there every Sunday.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Go on Rick, give him a good kicking. Those that talk the talk rarely walk the walk.
  • Daz555
    eh wrote:
    To be fair Wiggin's is following the tried and tested British formula for sport, win one big thing then bask in the glory and money, while slightly putting in a half hearted effort to continue doing it, until you retire. If he were German, Aussie, Yank or else he'd have to Froome to f**k off and gone for the 2nd TDF win and generally dominating the sport.
    Did you discover sport in 2012? Wiggo has been doing nothing but winning since he took his first Rainbow Jersey at the Junior World's in 1998. Have you looked at his palmares?
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    He has hardly been dominating in road racing since 1998.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    RichN95 wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Jez mon wrote:

If you watch this sport long enough you have to start liking all the uncool stuff that the noobs like so that you distinguish yourself from those people who are desparate to distinguish themselves from the noobs. (But you also have to mention the 80s a lot as well). And even then you get trumped by someone like Deejay telling you about the time he raced Alfredo Binda.

Even if you manage to top Deejay then you've still got Dave and the man with the vineyard to worry about. And if you really put it out there and reckon you've got a tale that will compare with theirs, gotthetshirt will pop in and drop you like a sack of spuds.... Might as well just buy the xxxxl Sky kit with the Roundel on and be done with it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    eh wrote:

And he's done sod all in BMX.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Macaloon wrote:

All the endurance sports are booming, running clubs are huge now, triathlon is massive. I'm not saying that Wiggins, Cav, Brailsford, Hoy etc haven't had an impact on bringing people into cycling but for the most part it would have happened anyway.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746

Why don't you two find a real hill :)
  • Daz555
    eh wrote:

And he's done sod all in BMX.
    ..and in tiddly winks.