Wiggins interview

Comments

• No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    Ok chaps, I see you have your Wiggo Warriors hats on today.

Not me. Ive got my Shoot Down The Troll hat on. You made an identical comment on the other thread, and had to do the same backtracking about medal winning not being easy, but you decided to run with the same provocational tone and material again here. I'd be embarrassed if I were you.

I am not a troll for giving my opinion. Think before you bandy about words incorrectly.

I am not back tracking on anything - the interview reinforces what I wrote on the other thread. Re-read that thread. Track medal is hard sure - I dont care about track, I was not and am not talking about track. I care about Road and expect a rider on a Road team to ride on the Road or else get off the team and give your spot to a promising Road rider.

What you care about is entirely irrelevant in the context of Sky and wiggins negotiating a contract. Your personal preferences just aren't taken into account when they write a job description for him, or work out his performance bonuses. Likewise your expectations. You said he was given an easy ride, as if he's being paid to coast along doing f all. You're welcome to argue that teams shouldn't pay riders to focus on the track (I actually have some sympathy with the argument) there are plenty of arguments to be made there, but your factual statement isn't backed up by any actual evidence. As everyone else has pointed out, winning track medals isn't easy. What we're left with from your posts is something that reads like a character assassination, based on your own private sliding scale of moral worth. Tbh, that seems par for the course from you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Macaloon wrote:
    A nation rejoices. The State broadcaster winks. The Reality TV Olympics unveils its star for the new cycle.

No-doubt it makes perfect sense commercially, but it's perhaps a little confusing to other members of the team. What happened to the single-minded pursuit of team objectives? Are sacrifice, numbers, and results really the key to success at Sky?

Meanwhile Geraint Thomas gets to slog his guts out for under-performing teammates, is adored by cycling fans for his efforts, but gets a fraction of the attention. That can't be healthy.

I think they still are - they would have had him in the team otherwise...

It probably is a tough position for the likes of Geraint Thomas etc... but worth considering he hasn't got Wiggins palmares. Even if he were to surpass, there's plenty of examples of individuals outshining others on more than their specific performances... look how much more coverage someone like James Cracknell gets in comparison to say Pete Reed - both have the same number of golds
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Meanwhile Geraint Thomas gets to slog his guts out for under-performing teammates, is adored by cycling fans for his efforts, but gets a fraction of the attention.

True - but he's not got anywhere near winning the Tour and hasn't won three individual Olympic gold medals.

Wiggo didn't get there by accident. He got there by riding with the top guys in the 2009 Tour when essentially there just to support Van de Velde. I've got a huge amount of time for Thomas, but notwithstanding the work he's done for others in this year's Tour, since Sky went for "every man for himself" he's not grabbed the situation by the scruff of the neck, hung with the top guys and demanded top billing from Sky by dint of performance level.

If Thomas was winning the Tour he'd be a national treasure, being a genuine home grown Brit and Olympic gold medalist.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    dsoutar wrote:
    If that's the deal he's negotiated then well done to him. We'd all like to be able to dictate terms that suit us like that.

The impact he's had on British cycling has been immeasurable IMHO and I guess this is why Sky are humouring him. I can see FFs argument but I don't believe it's as black and white as that.

In fact we don't know what he's being paid currently so it's a pretty moot point unless BW has actually said "my salary for 2014, 2015 and 2016 is £nnn". For all we know Sky and Wiggins may have renegotiated his contract to allow him this sort of latitude (which would certainly makes sense and suit both parties) and if they had then I guess it would be confidential unless agreed otherwise

Absolutely priceless. Anyone riding on Britain's roads owes Cav, Wiggo, and Sky a huge debt for raising the profile of a fringe hobby to a fast-growing sport.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon wrote:
    Meanwhile Geraint Thomas gets to slog his guts out for under-performing teammates, is adored by cycling fans for his efforts, but gets a fraction of the attention.

True - but he's not got anywhere near winning the Tour and hasn't won three individual Olympic gold medals.

Wiggo didn't get there by accident. He got there by riding with the top guys in the 2009 Tour when essentially there just to support Van de Velde. I've got a huge amount of time for Thomas, but notwithstanding the work he's done for others in this year's Tour, since Sky went for "every man for himself" he's not grabbed the situation by the scruff of the neck, hung with the top guys and demanded top billing from Sky by dint of performance level.

If Thomas was winning the Tour he'd be a national treasure, being a genuine home grown Brit and Olympic gold medalist.

I agree. I didn't mean media attention so much as focus from the team. I have no idea if Thomas is disgruntled at the performances around him or not. But any rider who was might bristle at Team Sky bathing in publicity for a rider not even in the team. I thought that was a key to Brailsford's method. Everybody needs to be unified around team objectives.

As for the Giggs analogy, if Wiggins puts in the shifts on the training field with the first team and rides the odd cameo, I will agree. He has more in common with Roy Kean than Ryan at the moment.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    I have no idea if Thomas is disgruntled at the performances around him or not. But any rider who was might bristle at Team Sky bathing in publicity for a rider not even in the team.

Thomas has just extended his contract for Sky, so he's either not bothered or reconciled to the situation in exchange for a tidy wedge. I wouldn't blame him for taking the slightly easier option of taking the Sky money rather than taking a risk with another team. After all, failed dreams don't pay the mortgage.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    Macaloon wrote:
    dsoutar wrote:
    If that's the deal he's negotiated then well done to him. We'd all like to be able to dictate terms that suit us like that.

The impact he's had on British cycling has been immeasurable IMHO and I guess this is why Sky are humouring him. I can see FFs argument but I don't believe it's as black and white as that.

In fact we don't know what he's being paid currently so it's a pretty moot point unless BW has actually said "my salary for 2014, 2015 and 2016 is £nnn". For all we know Sky and Wiggins may have renegotiated his contract to allow him this sort of latitude (which would certainly makes sense and suit both parties) and if they had then I guess it would be confidential unless agreed otherwise

Absolutely priceless. Anyone riding on Britain's roads owes Cav, Wiggo, and Sky a huge debt for raising the profile of a fringe hobby to a fast-growing sport.

.They have nothing to do with with me riding my bike on British roads. I got into riding a road bike watching the Armstrong years after working as a cycle courier.
    So speak for yourself, not me. I owe them nothing, Infact all they have done is clog up the roads with fat blokes in lycra who should be playing golf. Armstrong had more impact in getting people on their bikes more than Wiggo and co ever did or could, he took the sport's popularity to a new level.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Curious if anyone on here started riding a bike because of Wiggins?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Oh God, I've just reminded myself why I've tried to avoid this forum lately - Macaloon still gushing out anti-Wiggins bullsh1t like some demented oil well.

Might be time to hand back my password, I think...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • Macaloon
    Thomas has just extended his contract for Sky, so he's either not bothered or reconciled to the situation in exchange for a tidy wedge. I wouldn't blame him for taking the slightly easier option of taking the Sky money rather than taking a risk with another team. After all, failed dreams don't pay the mortgage.

There's a marginal chasm between paying the mortgage, and being 100% motivated whatever the setbacks. I doubt very much this is an issue for Thomas who obviously motivates himself. Not everyone is as gifted.

It's a minor point anyway. He's earned the right to do whatever he wants.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Wiggins is certainly less annoying than the fans he attracts. I'll let you make of that what you will.

Anyway, I can tell this is not the thread for me, so enjoy folks.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins is to Sky and British Cycling what Ryan Giggs is to Manchester United. He's so much part of the furniture and brand that they'll keep him around as long as he wants to be and can make some sort of contribution. If he gets indulged then it's because he's earned it.
    Absolutely and with good reason.

He won the Tour and that gives you privilege.

If his riding the track and targeting the spring classics gets people interested then more power to him.
  • [/quote] I dont care about track, I was not and am not talking about track. I care about Road and expect a rider on a Road team to ride on the Road or else get off the team and give your spot to a promising Road rider.[/quote]

Fact is Sky couldn't care less what any attention seeking contrary keyboard warriors expect. End of the day they do what makes commercial sense. Cycling as a sport depends on sponsorship. The sponsor calls the shots within reason.
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216

Probably not on here, but there has been a huge increase in the number of Sky Full Kit W@nkers on my local roads in last 3 years
  • frenchfighter
    EPC06 wrote:

Probably not on here, but there has been a huge increase in the number of Sky Full Kit W@nkers on my local roads in last 3 years

Have you ever been overtaken by one?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    RichN95 wrote:
    Bradley Wiggins is to Sky and British Cycling what Ryan Giggs is to Manchester United. He's so much part of the furniture and brand that they'll keep him around as long as he wants to be and can make some sort of contribution. If he gets indulged then it's because he's earned it.

If his riding the track and targeting the spring classics gets people interested then more power to him.

Contador has won three Tours, two Giros and Two Vueltas.

Following on from your reasoning I wonder what privileges he should be entitled to?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • epc06
    epc06 Posts: 216
    EPC06 wrote:

Ha..certainly not
  • frenchfighter
    EPC06 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:

Ha..certainly not

Same. Ditto Rapha riders.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Coriander
    Coriander Posts: 1,326
    RichN95 wrote:

Following on from your reasoning I wonder what privileges he should be entitled to?

What on earth does that have to do with anything in this thread?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

A bonus Tour and Giro by the looks of it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    Wiggins lovers, I hope you have been following your man. Eng just finished their turn on the 4k pursuit.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Wiggins lovers, I hope you have been following your man. Eng just finished their turn on the 4k pursuit.

Sure have. Sir Brad slipped in some epic lap and a half turns. Not even Contador on two legs could come close to that. :)
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396

That's not what any of the record books show, as you well know, Mr Troll.
    No matter how many times you try to say it, Contador hasn't won 7 GTs, and probably should have a whole load more stripped from him for being doped to the eyeballs.

Anyway, why do you have to bring Dirty Bertie into a thread that has naff all to do with him?
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    EPC06 wrote:

What an astonishingly pejorative statement. You must obviously engage with these people a lot to be able to make what to everyone else would seem an incredibly sweeping judgement.

By the way I'm not a Sky fan nor have I ever owned any of their kit.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    EPC06 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:

Ha..certainly not

Same. Ditto Rapha riders.

Oh no, not new people enjoying your sport. Do make sure to point out to them that you liked cycling before it was fashionable, and are therefore better people.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • frenchfighter
    It has nothing to do with it. I ask because we are always told Sky and Wiggins have done wonders for cycling but I have yet to read or talk to someone who started cycling because of it.

I have no problem with more people taking up the sport apart from the fact the prices have more than doubled.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    edited July 2014

Ongoing support from his team and fans in the middle of a 2 year absence from Grand Tour podium success?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    RichN95 wrote:

Stabilisers? :D:D
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Think about it this way:

If Wiggins rides the road to target PR, and rides the track for Rio. Say he then wins PR and a gold in Rio, Sky have finally won a classic and the publicity that goes with that, and now have the publicity of another gold medal. Win win for them.

FF you have no idea what his contract is, what he's getting paid etc.
  • Macaloon
    greeny12 wrote:
    Oh God, I've just reminded myself why I've tried to avoid this forum lately - Macaloon still gushing out anti-Wiggins bullsh1t like some demented oil well.

Might be time to hand back my password, I think...

Don't worry. I was just having my ego stroked by one of the Azkaban guards. It's all yours. Take it away.