TDF Stage 15: Tallard - Nimes ***spoiler***

Comments

• tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/bauer ... by-metres/

“I thought I had it,” he said. “I realised in the last 50 metres that I didn’t.”
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    It's cruel. And for what; another sprinter's win.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Miss. This.
    tdf09st03-ouch.jpg

Is that from the 2009 TdF where they split the Peloton? That was all kinds of awesome :)
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    It's cruel. And for what; another sprinter's win.

He gave 100%. He is a winner IMHO.
  • frenchfighter
    ^Yep. They look so cool!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    OPQS wrote:
    Miss. This.
    tdf09st03-ouch.jpg

Is that from the 2009 TdF where they split the Peloton? That was all kinds of awesome :)

Great photo. Shows that white shorts can look cool
  • cyclingsheep
    cyclingsheep Posts: 640
    I reckon if it'd been a little wetter in the last 5kms Bauer would've had that win. Gutted for him
  • frenchfighter
    Lots and lots of people on here mentioning Bauer not Elminger which is odd. Both did enormous work and if I had to choose I would definitely say Elminger did the most. Maybe it is because Bauer speaks English.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    Going through my photos now and I came across this one of Peraud. Worth remembering that he is by far the strongest French TT rider in paper and Bardet, Pinot and others are going to lose time to him.

peraud_clm_dauhpine.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cyclingsheep
    Lots and lots of people on here mentioning Bauer not Elminger which is odd. Both did enormous work and if I had to choose I would definitely say Elminger did the most. Maybe it is because Bauer speaks English.

Looked like they both worked together but when push came to shove Bauer had more in the tank and was already ahead of Elminger....that's why people are talking about him. If you could share the combativity award I'd give it to both of them though
  • frenchfighter
    In the final few km he had more, probably because Elminger left more on the road before then to get them within striking distance of the win ; )
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cyclingsheep
    Was Bauer's team not screaming in his ear when he started playing silly buggers in the last 5km?
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    What a finish that was: even better the second time. Amazing rides in the break. Great interview with Bauer on the highlights. Philosophically heartbroken, he was.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    mfin wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    20140720199__D4D6238.jpg
    (Contador has over 800k, Froome has less than 400k)
    Justin Bieber has 53 million, Bob Dylan just 250,000

All Spanish, except one, I would guess. The Spanish seem not to care how there own win. :lol:

Well, a hell of a lot of people would also have been following to see what he had to say from his doping. People don't always follow people just because they like them.

We all know what he said about his doping. "Wasnt me mate, a friend bought me a steak and I was forced to eat it or he would have been very upset". Ha ha ha. I am still laughing at that one. :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Was Bauer's team not screaming in his ear when he started playing silly buggers in the last 5km?
    rc61j9.jpg

I bet he never gets tired of these sort of jokes
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Race went through Rocher de la Baume again today:
    20140720259_JEP_3906.jpg

Surely the setting for a Bond villain's secret lair
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    BtAlCYcIUAAdPNK.jpg

Neal Rogers ‏@nealrogers · 25m
    How tough is @jakob_fuglsang? Recovering from crash, he needed help getting on his bike today http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/07/ ... ers_337432
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Macaloon
    RichN95 wrote:
    rc61j9.jpg

I bet he never gets tired of these sort of jokes

:lol: Every stage in this Tour has had something great in it. Last year the GC was wrapped-up early too, and there were a couple of dramatic stages. But I'm finding this a much more interesting race.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Macaloon wrote:

:lol: Every stage in this Tour has had something great in it. Last year the GC was wrapped-up early too, and there were a couple of dramatic stages. But I'm finding this a much more interesting race.

Get out

get-out.jpg
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

True that. It's pretty much only Bauers photo in the press. Mainly due to the fact that it really seemed like he was going to get it until the last second , rather than Elminger.
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    Miss. This.
    tdf09st03-ouch.jpg

How that team couldn't get sponsorship beggars belief ... I'm sure even Teejay could have made something of himself in that environment.
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    type:epyt wrote:
    Miss. This.
    tdf09st03-ouch.jpg

How that team couldn't get sponsorship beggars belief ... I'm sure even Teejay could have made something of himself in that environment.

It really is amazing that they couldn't get sponsorship and I miss it too.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Miss. This.
    tdf09st03-ouch.jpg

It really is amazing that they couldn't get sponsorship and I miss it too.
    inseine wrote:
    Great photo. Shows that white shorts can look cool

Steady now.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    Eliminger:
    “It was a great stage for all of IAM Cycling. Heino finished a magnificent 2nd place. As for my day, I had hoped that we would have a few more riders to help power this escape. That didn’t happen, but I am not disappointed because I actually did not have the best legs today.

"In the finale, my opponent and I were playing a little poker. Being caught by the pack is not so bad when you are convinced you have given everything. As I have already said three times this Tour after breaks have failed, one of these days the wheels will turn in my favor.

“This is the Tour de France, the biggest race in the world, that's where we have to give everything we have. But none of the two of us really wanted to ride flat out. I didn't have very good legs. It's probably normal. At the end of the second week, everyone is getting tired. But I can be happy with myself because I fought all day long.

"I didn't think we'd make it to the finish because of the wind that made it difficult. The roundabouts made it technical at the end too. However, Heinrich Haussler's second place is a super result for the team as we haven't been very lucky at the Tour de France so far.”

Sagan:
    "I was behind Kittel and Greipel was just in front of him… and they haven't sprinted! I don't know why. Then it was too late for me to catch the other sprinters. But I take some more points."
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    iainf72 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Get out

I've been in therapy since Quintana was sent to the Giro instead of the Tour. I do think there's a case that Stages 2 and 5 are a match for any drama last year. But I'm struggling to defend the lack of meaningful mountain spectacle. I can't handle the truth.
  • frenchfighter
    201407201253464191579_zps1e308dce.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    iainf72 wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

Get out

get-out.jpg

It's a bad sign when the battle between the French becomes the most interesting story on the Tour.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    First week was phenomenal with the abroad stages and stage 5 in particular. Second week has been, let's be honest, as weak as it gets and the GC situation obviously has its part for that. It's not often I'm actually underwhelmed when the commentator says we still have biggest mountain stages coming..
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,170
    Miss. This.
    tdf09st03-ouch.jpg

It beggared belief then - and 3 years later it still does. The No1 team folding because of no sponsor... Would it happen in another sport?
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."