124»

Comments

• Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    mike6 wrote:
    Coachb wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Coachb wrote:
    Back on topic....Mike you seriously think Contador is " yesterdays man" with the kind of performances he has put in this year. Last year I would have agreed with you. He has looked awesome this year at times as good as he ever was and it would have been great to see Bertie ,Froome and Nibs trying to win the tour. I just hope he can fully recover from his injury and we get to see the race we have been waiting for all season. I think the Vuelta will be to soon for Bertie to get back into his best shape.

You forget how far behind the leader he was on GC when he sadly crashed out. A battle would have been good but I did not see anything from Contador in this Tour to suggest he was "In the form of his life". That was media speak from Riis to paper over the dissapointment of losing the team leader.
    I think he peaked earlier in the year and was on a downward slope form wise.

Fair comment Mike.
    Contador lost his time on the Cobbles has he has done in a previous tour and he won that.
    He did have an issue with his gears.
    I do think that when Bertie gained those few seconds on Nibs it looked to me that Nibs could not follow. They were nearly at the finish, it made no sense at that late point in not trying to hang on. I would have, just like Bertie did staying with Froome at the Dauphine,,,racing instinct. No one likes to lose. I do think though seeing the tempo of some of the races and the heat that Contador would have had his hands full.
    Nibs is looking awesome. Best I have seen him.

Using your argument, If Bertie was feeling as good and as easy as he said he was why did he then let Froome win that one then? He still lost it. Because he was breathing through his a**e trying to hang on.

I agree. You could see Bertie could not get past but there was no gap Bertie does tend to get better as the race goes on as he showed and I think he was a bit surprised by that attack so early on in the race.
    I don't think Froome going all out Balls to the wall so early to make a statement of intent did himself any favours. It seemed to give the advantage to Bertie. I think when Contador got the gap against Nibs it looked like there was more to come.
    Alas we will never know for this tour. But I am enjoying it and the podium battle is quite exciting.
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    adr82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    Nibs said he didn't change down a gear when Contador did...

He can say what he likes if you have ever raced a bike you must know that one gear change doesn't lead to a 3 second gap and in reply to the other post there is no way he sits up because he doesn't think 3 seconds is worth bothering about !
    And you know all this how exactly?

That early in a 3 week tour a rider just doesn't sit up 50 metres from the line and gives 3 seconds to his main rival when for a minimal extra effort he could match them preventing a time loss and potentially denting the confidence of the opponent.
    Doubtless the 2.5 minutes he had over Contador by that point didn't figure at all in any decision to let him go in the last 50m?

I was also referring to the blanket statement that a gear change is never worth a 3 second gap.
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    His chain may have jumped a sprocket and he didn't fancy smearing his balls on the frame, so he just eased up.

Pro power level ball smearage is going to put our efforts to shame.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes riders always sit up with 50 metres to go when all the main mountain stages are to come and they hold a reasonable lead but one which many people expected Contador to claw back over the coming weeks. Makes you wonder why he's gone to such effort to extend his lead as much as possible over weaker opponents since then doesn't it.

I can understand someone that doesn't ride a road bike much maybe thinking a missed gear change could have cost the time - even though it couldn't - but you don't even need to be a cycling fan to realise nobody sits up and voluntarily concedes time having just slogged their guts out up a mountain to avoid doing exactly that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    People have to have one hell of an emotional investment in a rider to even bother talking about 3 seconds on one early stage being any sort of indicator of what might have unfolded over the coming weeks. What a load of sh1t. Also, Contador WAS NOT on the form of his life, it's not possible to compare with his previous doped up performances that have got him his GT wins.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    davidof wrote:
    Without derailling this thread a French man I'm reading is saying Froome will be a one hit tour wonder like Ullrich. The article was written in May so well before the current debacle.

Sort of an odd thing to say. As if a "one hit wonder" is not a worthy winner of the TDF. How many people try for years and years to win even a single stage of this race, let alone the whole thing? Take todays stage. !0 years riding and finally a stage win. Seems a little sad that journalist's feel the need to criticise someone simply because they don't win enough to suit them.
  • DeVlaeminck
    mfin wrote:
    People have to have one hell of an emotional investment in a rider to even bother talking about 3 seconds on one early stage being any sort of indicator of what might have unfolded over the coming weeks. What a load of sh1t. Also, Contador WAS NOT on the form of his life, it's not possible to compare with his previous doped up performances that have got him his GT wins.

What a load of sh1t indeed - if you want to rant address what people have said and the facts not your own straw man.

Nobody is trying to say those 3 seconds mean Contador would have won the Tour but given that people have been raving over the form Nibali has shown, rightly so, it's worth pointing out that the only time Contador and him went head to head in this race on a mountain top finish Contador beat him. He may not have been on the form of his life but he was on good form this year and there was no evidence that he'd peaked earlier in the year and was on the slide - that was the point.

As for "emotional investment" in Contador - my favourite rider of the three is Nibali !
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Disaster for cycling fans globally:

@albertocontador · 38m
    Bad day,the wound healing gets complicated,I've no date to take the bike.Goodbye to the Vuelta.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    Bad news for him the Vuelta and cycling fans.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Shame for him and the Vuelta, but I did think it was being overly-optimistic to say he would make it...
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    Bad news for him but not a disaster.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

@albertocontador · 38m
    Bad day,the wound healing gets complicated,I've no date to take the bike.Goodbye to the Vuelta.
    I always thought it seemed wildly optimistic. There was no way he could have been in form anyway.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    RichN95 wrote:

@albertocontador · 38m
    I always thought it seemed wildly optimistic. There was no way he could have been in form anyway.

His GT days are done. I think he has to have a real go at Roubaix next year, then switch to the track to get some weight on to challenge for the Rio Pursuit.

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:

@albertocontador · 38m

Yes, I suppose there was always hope. I also assumed that he could use the first week or so to ride into some reasonable form then start firing for stage wins in the latter part.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • adr82
    Yes riders always sit up with 50 metres to go when all the main mountain stages are to come and they hold a reasonable lead but one which many people expected Contador to claw back over the coming weeks. Makes you wonder why he's gone to such effort to extend his lead as much as possible over weaker opponents since then doesn't it.

I can understand someone that doesn't ride a road bike much maybe thinking a missed gear change could have cost the time - even though it couldn't - but you don't even need to be a cycling fan to realise nobody sits up and voluntarily concedes time having just slogged their guts out up a mountain to avoid doing exactly that.
    Well, you're certainly very sure of your own personal opinions, I'll say that for you. "Even though it couldn't"? Seriously? I don't know where you get this absolute assurance that you're right about everything, but I won't bother saying anything else if this is how you like to respond.

Shame about Contador but like others have said it always seemed optimistic to be talking about the Vuelta almost from the moment he climbed off.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    dennisn wrote:
    davidof wrote:
    Without derailling this thread a French man I'm reading is saying Froome will be a one hit tour wonder like Ullrich. The article was written in May so well before the current debacle.

Sort of an odd thing to say. As if a "one hit wonder" is not a worthy winner of the TDF. How many people try for years and years to win even a single stage of this race, let alone the whole thing? Take todays stage. !0 years riding and finally a stage win. Seems a little sad that journalist's feel the need to criticise someone simply because they don't win enough to suit them.

So...who is the Frenchman, and can he also tell me the winner of next years Gold Cup race so I can get my house on it??? :roll:
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    mike6 wrote:
    So...who is the Frenchman, and can he also tell me the winner of next years Gold Cup race so I can get my house on it??? :roll:

Only gamble what you can afford to lose! </sensible hat on>
  • RichN95.
    mike6 wrote:
    O'Faolain's Boy.
  • Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    I still think we should wait and see. If he can get on his bike he will race even if he's not back to his best.
    Bertie loves to race win or lose....top man.
  • DeVlaeminck
    adr82 wrote:

Well, you're certainly very sure of your own personal opinions, I'll say that for you. "Even though it couldn't"? Seriously? I don't know where you get this absolute assurance that you're right about everything, but I won't bother saying anything else if this is how you like to respond.

You are funny - yes I am sure of those two things because they are bleeding obvious to anyone that rides a bike or follows the sport. You take issue with my tone but it's no different to yours.
  • adr82
    adr82 wrote:

You are funny - yes I am sure of those two things because they are bleeding obvious to anyone that rides a bike or follows the sport. You take issue with my tone but it's no different to yours.
    The difference is I'm not stating my opinions as though they are self-evident facts that anyone with a functioning brain would know. You're not discussing anything here, you're just saying "I'm right, you're wrong. Why? Because I say so.".
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    calvjones wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

@albertocontador · 38m

His GT days are done. I think he has to have a real go at Roubaix next year, then switch to the track to get some weight on to challenge for the Rio Pursuit.

:lol::lol::lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • **mischievous bump**

Hehe
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • If AC wins this Vuelta it sets us up for a real decider next July. A lot of things can happen between now and then of course but right now it looks like a proper 4 way fight. Wonder if Nibali might look at the Giro next year as he'd be a strong favourite and probably 3rd favourite at best for the TdF
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,095
    AC hasn't won the Vuelta yet but I really hope he does because it will pi$$ a hell of a lot of people off. Valverde is going quite well too. I reckon he'll be 2nd :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    AC hasn't won the Vuelta yet but I really hope he does because it will pi$$ a hell of a lot of people off. Valverde is going quite well too. I reckon he'll be 2nd :D

2nd to who ?
  • RichN95.
    AC hasn't won the Vuelta yet but I really hope he does because it will pi$$ a hell of a lot of people off.
    It won't be Contador winning itself that will pi$$ people off, more the overreaction of his one man fan club.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    RichN95 wrote:
    AC hasn't won the Vuelta yet but I really hope he does because it will pi$$ a hell of a lot of people off.
    It won't be Contador winning itself that will pi$$ people off, more the overreaction of his one man fan club.

It'll be when he holds up 8 fingers that will pi$$ me off.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,095
    dsoutar wrote:

2nd to who ?

It's immaterial.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!