Contador - The future

Comments

• Coachb
    Coachb Posts: 68
    What is “ignition” meant to be in English? Inflamation?

I think it refers to the amount of Compression.
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099

It's how I read it.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Collateral damage I imagine.
  • Coachb
    There is no question as to if I will do the Vuelta a España, the question is if I can be in form. I love to compete, I want to compete and I want to enjoy this race in my country and to be there. I have to see if I can be at a good level, but it is not easy,” said Contador. “I am really motivated for the future, I just hope that the recuperation goes well and if I can’t be there this year then I will prepare just as well or better for next year’s Tour.”
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    It matters not, he is yesterdays man, tainted by his past, and past it, we need the new exciting riders to keep performing and reminding us that bike racing is beautifull and beleivable. :D
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    mike6 wrote:
    It matters not, he is yesterdays man, tainted by his past, and past it, we need the new exciting riders to keep performing and reminding us that bike racing is beautifull and beleivable. :D

Speak for yourself. I enjoy watching him race, regardless of his past. Contador out of the saddle on a climb is the epitome of beautiful. If you can't appreciate that, then perhaps cycling isn't the sport for you.
  • mike6
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Speak for yourself. I enjoy watching him race, regardless of his past. Contador out of the saddle on a climb is the epitome of beautiful. If you can't appreciate that, then perhaps cycling isn't the sport for you.

What a joke. An un repentant doper who uses far too much upper body movement when climbing. He can no longer sustain his attacks and has to sit down to recover. Dont try and tell me what sport is for me, you dont know me and hopefully never will.

Cycling has moved on, move with it or move over.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    He'd need an easier route where a Riis style ambush would carry more weight.

But yes, I can totally see the logic that this is his last big chance.
  • Coachb
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Spot on.
    How the fu%% does cycling move on...
    Hey mike why don't I mention Leinders at sky ?
    You see we can all do it.

I loved Froomes attack on the Ventoux , it was awesome.
    Big picture.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Coachb wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Spot on.

Big picture.

[mod hat on]If you can't see past Contador's doping past when looking at where he'll be in the next few years with regard to form, then why comment on the thread? Seriously. Go post on a thread that deals with that and stop polluting other threads. This isn't up for discussion. Stop it. Understand that doping is not an all pervasive topic that can be brought up anywhere. This goes for everyone. [/mod hat off]
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    The_Boy wrote:

It's how I read it.

It's the remix to ignition
    Hot and fresh out the kitchen
    Mama rollin that body
    got every man in here wishin
    Sippin on coke and rum
    I'm like so what I'm drunk
    It's the freakin weekend baby
    I'm about to have me some fun
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mike6
    Coachb wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Spot on.

Big picture.

Up to you who you mention, but I fail to see what Leinders has to do with a discussion about Contador????
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    ddraver wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

It's how I read it.

Mama rollin that body
    Sippin on coke and rum

Are you rapping on a cycling forum ... geddoutta here :)
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • josame
    josame Posts: 1,162
    mike6 wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

What a joke. An un repentant doper who uses far too much upper body movement when climbing. He can no longer sustain his attacks and has to sit down to recover. Dont try and tell me what sport is for me, you dont know me and hopefully never will.

Just so I get this straight, you don't want us to tell you what to think but you sure as hell want to tell us what to think... zzzzzz
    'Do not compare your bike to others, for always there will be greater and lesser bikes'
  • OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    josame wrote:
    ddraver wrote:
    The_Boy wrote:

It's how I read it.

Mama rollin that body
    Sippin on coke and rum

Are you rapping on a cycling forum ... geddoutta here :)

It's not rapping really. That's the chorus, so it's sung. Not that I am in any way 'street', just so you know! :wink:
  • mike6
    josame wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Just so I get this straight, you don't want us to tell you what to think but you sure as hell want to tell us what to think... zzzzzz

Not at all, simply responding to a reply in the same manner as the poster. Also I was not telling "Us" what to think, as I say I was responding to another post. Sheesh. :roll:
  • Coachb
    Back on topic....Mike you seriously think Contador is " yesterdays man" with the kind of performances he has put in this year. Last year I would have agreed with you. He has looked awesome this year at times as good as he ever was and it would have been great to see Bertie ,Froome and Nibs trying to win the tour. I just hope he can fully recover from his injury and we get to see the race we have been waiting for all season. I think the Vuelta will be to soon for Bertie to get back into his best shape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    edited July 2014
    OPQS wrote:
    mike6 wrote:

Yes he can climb. As for style - I've always thought he bounced about a bit too much - like a demented rabbit at times.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mike6
    Coachb wrote:
    Back on topic....Mike you seriously think Contador is " yesterdays man" with the kind of performances he has put in this year. Last year I would have agreed with you. He has looked awesome this year at times as good as he ever was and it would have been great to see Bertie ,Froome and Nibs trying to win the tour. I just hope he can fully recover from his injury and we get to see the race we have been waiting for all season. I think the Vuelta will be to soon for Bertie to get back into his best shape.

You forget how far behind the leader he was on GC when he sadly crashed out. A battle would have been good but I did not see anything from Contador in this Tour to suggest he was "In the form of his life". That was media speak from Riis to paper over the dissapointment of losing the team leader.
    I think he peaked earlier in the year and was on a downward slope form wise.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Well he did drop Nibali on the only uphill finish they competed on, only for 3 seconds but it wasn't a very long one and when you look at what Nibali has done to everyone else those 3 seconds start to look more impressive.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Maybe Nibali simply didn't think it was worth expending the energy to stick with him to the line once it became clear that all Contador was going to get was a few seconds at best...? I don't think you can read too much into that finish.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Nibs said he didn't change down a gear when Contador did...
  • Coachb
    mike6 wrote:
    Coachb wrote:

You forget how far behind the leader he was on GC when he sadly crashed out. A battle would have been good but I did not see anything from Contador in this Tour to suggest he was "In the form of his life". That was media speak from Riis to paper over the dissapointment of losing the team leader.

Fair comment Mike.
    Contador lost his time on the Cobbles has he has done in a previous tour and he won that.
    He did have an issue with his gears.
    I do think that when Bertie gained those few seconds on Nibs it looked to me that Nibs could not follow. They were nearly at the finish, it made no sense at that late point in not trying to hang on. I would have, just like Bertie did staying with Froome at the Dauphine,,,racing instinct. No one likes to lose.
    I do think though seeing the tempo of some of the races and the heat that Contador would have had his hands full.
    Nibs is looking awesome. Best I have seen him.
  • DeVlaeminck
    dish_dash wrote:

He can say what he likes if you have ever raced a bike you must know that one gear change doesn't lead to a 3 second gap and in reply to the other post there is no way he sits up because he doesn't think 3 seconds is worth bothering about !
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    dish_dash wrote:

He can say what he likes if you have ever raced a bike you must know that one gear change doesn't lead to a 3 second gap and in reply to the other post there is no way he sits up because he doesn't think 3 seconds is worth bothering about !
    And you know all this how exactly?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    If my auntie had balls, she'd be my uncle.
  • mike6
    Coachb wrote:
    mike6 wrote:
    Coachb wrote:

Fair comment Mike.
    Contador lost his time on the Cobbles has he has done in a previous tour and he won that.
    He did have an issue with his gears.
    I do think that when Bertie gained those few seconds on Nibs it looked to me that Nibs could not follow. They were nearly at the finish, it made no sense at that late point in not trying to hang on. I would have, just like Bertie did staying with Froome at the Dauphine,,,racing instinct. No one likes to lose. I do think though seeing the tempo of some of the races and the heat that Contador would have had his hands full.
    Nibs is looking awesome. Best I have seen him.

Using your argument, If Bertie was feeling as good and as easy as he said he was why did he then let Froome win that one then? He still lost it. Because he was breathing through his a**e trying to hang on.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    610x-12-3.jpg

Nibali I like a ton. He is my second favourite rider. The stats speak for themselves though. Head to head on mountain stages, Contador is 25 to Nibali's 5.

2-1.jpg

a4-portrait-on-departure-ramp.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • DeVlaeminck
    adr82 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:

And you know all this how exactly?

That early in a 3 week tour a rider just doesn't sit up 50 metres from the line and gives 3 seconds to his main rival when for a minimal extra effort he could match them preventing a time loss and potentially denting the confidence of the opponent.