TDF Stage 11 - Besançon to Oyonnax *Spoilers*

Comments

• OPQS
    OPQS Posts: 187
    Nick Bull ‏@nickbull21 · 16m
    Garmin-Sharp DS Robbie Hunter was fined twice (2x200CHF) and Andrew Talansky once (50CHF + 20sec pen) for "abri prolongé" today.

Is that too 'sticky' a 'sticky bottle'?
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Nick Bull ‏@nickbull21 · 16m
    Garmin-Sharp DS Robbie Hunter was fined twice (2x200CHF) and Andrew Talansky once (50CHF + 20sec pen) for "abri prolongé" today.

It's not as if Talansky benefitted from his extended rest. It did not alter the race standings.

50 swiss francs? I would not be too upset about that. I've received bigger car parking fines.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    What's the point of the fine when he already finished more than half an hour back... Seems like a pointless exercise.

Them's the RULES!

Yeah, as you say pointless.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    proxy.jpg?t=HBheaHR0cDovLzMzLm1lZGlhLnR1bWJsci5jb20vOGJmOWFmMmI2NWUzNWVmZjkyNDY2YjRiOTMxNmJhMWUvdHVtYmxyX244dGg2NkNwNGExcm9wcmV5bzFfNTAwLmpwZxToBxSaBQAWABIA&s=70-HB6dmoQvtp_ZeDCCDPwyvN2VbgPIY3JhdvKBf0wg
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I’m pleased that Sagan at least didn’t chase this time. He should almost never chase. Chasing is like paying a ransom to hostage takers – it sets a precedent you don’t want to live with.

Anyone got some tips for Sagan for the next time?

Take your point but I think he should have chased - well having got himself in a position where the 4 of them were out in front with 2k to go and Gallopin attacks I don't see what option he had. If you are by far the fastest finisher of the three then close down the attacks and if you can't then attack first.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    Does Degenkolb always sprint like that or was he in the wrong gear?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Sagan has almost double the points of second place (Coquard). Over 300. Very impressive given only stage 11 and the average points to win the jersey in the last 30 odd years cant be much different to that. He may be on track for an all time podium. Sean Kelly is the reference - over 400 each time.

Credit again to Gallopin. Super win. Would like to hear his fiancee commentating on that if she did.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    So is Tony Martin going to wear his skinsuit every day?
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Would like to hear his fiancee commentating on that if she did.

oooh... ahhh.... ooh la la (continues for another 5 minutes in a very nasal high pitched voice)
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Sagan has almost double the points of second place (Coquard). Over 300. Very impressive given only stage 11 and the average points to win the jersey in the last 30 odd years cant be much different to that. He may be on track for an all time podium. Sean Kelly is the reference - over 400 each time.

Credit again to Gallopin. Super win. Would like to hear his fiancee commentating on that if she did.

Haven't they changed the points distribution since Kelly's day? Direct comparisons may be (excuse the pun) pointless.
  • tailwindhome
    I'm giving Cillian one last chance with the stats

Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton · 12m
    If Peter Sagan is worried, maybe he should be. Sean Kelly had won five stages by 1982. But despite three more green jersey wins after that..

Cillian Kelly ‏@irishpeloton · 12m
    ...and despite riding the Tour for another 10 years, he never won another stage.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    So Sagan approaches the last 5 km of a hilly stage that has seen the big sprinters shelled, there's the remnants of a break ahead

*No one chases the breakaway because "Sagan will win anyway" - Sagan loses

*Rider X breaks jumps out of the peloton - No one chases because "Sagan will win anyway" - Sagan loses

*Sagan Breaks away, but cannot hold on because he's not a Cancellara or Martin, and no one thinks he is - Sagan loses

*The break is captured but as they do so the bunch slows down, none of the normal chasing domestiques have made it over the hills, everyone sits up and waits, conserving their energy with allowing the first point to happen - Sagan loses

The reality is at the moment that Sagan is fighting against almost impossible circumstances to win stages. The fact that he has repeatedly tried to do so anyway and missed out on many by tyre widths should be applauded. The only way Sagan can win is if he has a team to keep the pace high at the end of hilly stages which his team is not able to do at the moment. However, it does seem like he's realised this and is doing something about it for 2015
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • tailwindhome
    When's Tommeke retiring?

Sagan + OPQS would be unstoppable.
  • OPQS
    When's Tommeke retiring?

That's not a bad shout actually. OPQS are over-flowing with talent and power.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    OPQS wrote:
    When's Tommeke retiring?

That's not a bad shout actually. OPQS are over-flowing with talent and power.

OPQS burnt that bridge when they didn't want to hire him when he turned pro.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • OPQS
    iainf72 wrote:

Times change. People change. Bridges can be rebuilt.
  • iainf72
    OPQS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yep - But then, OPQS have a new Boonen and he's a Belgie.
  • tailwindhome
    OPQS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Piles of Euro notes stacked neatly would make a fabulous bridge.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,450
    Garmin's best finisher today was Slagter in 99th, nearly 15 minutes down.

I'd love to know what their tactical master plan was for the day.
  • frenchfighter
    edited July 2014
    andyp wrote:

Bravado. They played a stupid card and a few riders mentioned about the tough pace they set earlier than expected. 100% they made it harder for Talansky to finish within the time cut. I mentioned Slagter as a potential winner but was annoyed to see him go 30km too soon which wasnt very clever.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:
    OPQS wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Yep - But then, OPQS have a new Boonen and he's a Belgie.

Kwiatek? He may have been there a few years but he is a proud Polish man.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    andyp wrote:

Throw a few hand grenades and see what's left when the chaos settles down, probably - that's generally how they race. We tend to notice the unlikely successes rather than the failed attempts, because when it does work it tends to spark off some terrific racing.
  • iainf72

Nah, Van Keirsbulck
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    andyp wrote:

Throw a few hand grenades and see what's left when the chaos settles down, probably - that's generally how they race. We tend to notice the unlikely successes rather than the failed attempts, because when it does work it tends to spark off some terrific racing.

This was my immediate thought watching this evening. They seemed to go to the front immediately that Talansky climbed off. Reckon there just thought "fuck it, let's see what happens".
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • frenchfighter
    iainf72 wrote:

Nah, Van Keirsbulck

Really?! Been a pro since 2011...I had to google him. His palmares is non existant. What am I missing? Has he been riding the shadows and is going to suddenly be a domineering figure?
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I must admit I had to google him
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Does Degenkolb always sprint like that or was he in the wrong gear?
    I was wondering the same. Looked like he was sprinting in the small ring from the way he was bobbing all over the place. Bizarre!
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    iainf72 wrote:

Nah, Van Keirsbulck

Really?! Been a pro since 2011...I had to google him. His palmares is non existant. What am I missing? Has he been riding the shadows and is going to suddenly be a domineering figure?

I agree with Iain, he's very good it's just a matter of a very big pecking order at OPQS.In the same way Little Pete is very good at Sky but you have to wait your turn (which is a bit of a shame for both riders)
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    They go big on apprenticeships in that team. Bartoli taught Bettini who brought Paolini and Pippo along.

Boonen kind of fell in their lap, but they signed Museeuw and later Van Petegem to help him along.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    Backed Gallopin at 80-1. Was pretty excited when he attacked yesterday :-)