Energy drinks, gels and bars

TinyMac
TinyMac Posts: 19
edited July 2014 in Road general
What brand do you use, and for what distance rides?

I heard some very convincing spiel from a Torq rep at a recent event but obviously from a very biased standpoint.

I'm new to this and my longest ride so far is just over 25miles, I just take one 600ml bottle of water. My partner cycles a lot more and tends to go for whatever is on offer but I'd rather know if there's an actual difference between them, other than the packaging.

I did taste some of the Torq gels and they were lovely, however they need to actually do something as well as that! Any personal recommendations?

I understand the basics that obviously a liquid is into your system almost immediately, a gel within a few minutes and a solid/bar will obviously be longer. Even in the heat I often struggle to drink a full 600ml of water in 25 miles and obviously there's no need for me to still be drinking an energy drink when I get home!

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Those sorts of products would be a waste of money for you. When you start doing longer rides just take some "normal" food like a banana, cereal bar, flapjack, malt loaf etc.
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • TinyMac wrote:

I heard some very convincing spiel from a Torq rep at a recent event but obviously from a very biased standpoint.

ORLY-183.jpg
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Agree with the above from discoboy

For the vast majority of people, riding non-competitively, using specific energy products just isn't required.

Even as someone riding 200+ miles a day on a regular basis, I don't use them and prefer to keep my food real. I have used gels as a small part of a feeding plan in very long time trials, but again, preferred to keep it real.

They have their place in competitive riding, but really that is it. I do, however, carry an emergency gel in my bag, and maybe once a year,screw up my eating and feel the knock coming and that gel can help.

The only non real thing I do use heavily are mineral replacement tablets (I use NUUN in one bottle) as I find they do help with keeping me drinking and avoiding stomach cramps. They can be useful, particularly in hot conditions. Equally, stopping at a pub for a pint of orange juice and lemonade and a packet of crisps can be very helpful in getting salt back in.

For most people, things like bananas, flapjacks, soreen, naked bars etc. work well. But, more important, is making sure you have a good breakfast before you set off.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I use them and I don't ride competitively. But, I use them on long rides and don't think of them as sweets as some seem to do by necking them every 5 minutes. They're more easily stashed in your pockets and easier to get at without needing to stop. I don't do cafe stops on rides or any kind of stop other than mechanical, so a protein bar, a couple of gels and electrolytes are enough for me during a hard ride of several hours.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ultimately DiscoBoy is right but I think mentioning money spoils his point.

+1 on the good breakfast too :-)

I would say try some at some point and see what you think.

For me they are more of a convenient (real bananas are huge!) treat than a direct performance boost over 'normal' food.
    Have tried loads and have found some favourites.
    That said I went out last night and bought loads of 'normal' food for cycling in Asda. It wasn't that cheap though.

I like to keep cycling food and non cycling food separate, so even 'natural' stuff that I like is for cycling only.
    That way I do not randomly eat a flapjack or Clif bar and put on weight.

One thing I would recommend is electrolyte drinks on hot days.
    Other than that just try different things and see what works for you. It can be both, does not have to be either/or.
    Some energy stuff is a lot more 'natural' than others too. Torq I believe is one of the more natural.

'Natural' stuff I like = Soreen individual bars (banana ones best) and Urban fruit bags (mango one best)

Dark side for energy would be = Clif bars, Torq stuff, Gu gels and SIS banana bars
    Dark side for recovery would be = For Goodness Shakes and SIS banana/vanilla (they have thin chocolate coating too, which is oddly not mentioned on the packet) protein bar.

What good any of this stuff does is difficult to say, but if its part of a regime that gets you doing 100 miles instead of 25 then its better than watching football eating a pizza ;-)
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    For rides up to 1.5 hours I take one bottle of water and a banana which I eat about half way round. Don't really need the banana but it helps psychologically.

If my ride is over that time, I calculate the feeding requirement based on ride time in hours, times two, minus one.
    So, for a four hour ride I need six feeds (every half hour starting one hour into the ride).

Each feed for me about 25g to 30g of carb, so a banana, half an energy bar, a gel, small flapjack etc or whatever takes your fancy (or whatever you can get hold of).

Works for me. The problem is carrying it. Spoils the sleek look of your expensive cycling jersey. :D

And one bottle of liquid every hour. I normally start a long ride with one carrying water and the other water with mineral replacement stuff. During the ride I will then fill up. Sometimes with sports drink, sometimes something like fruit juice and just add water to make it weak.

Some science in all that, but it works for me.
  • poppit
    poppit Posts: 926
    On longer rides usually two bottles of High 5 energy source and a clif bar, plus tea and cake if we stop somewhere. Within an hour of getting home a sachet of High 5 protein/carb shake made with skimmed milk.
    Eddy Merckx EMX-3
    Dolan L'Etape
    Cougar Zero Uno
    Genesis Core 50
    Planet X TOR
  • TheHound
    TheHound Posts: 284
    Anything less than 2hours: 1/2 bottle with High5 tablets.

Less than 3hrs: 1 bottle High5 energy source and 1 bottle High5 tablet.

Anything over that: 1 bottle Energy Source, 1 Tablet, and a few High5 gels.

I really struggle to eat proper food on a ride. Even after a ride I'm not at all hungry for a couple hours.
    Bianchi Intenso Athena
    Handbuilt Wheels by dcrwheels.co.uk
    Fizik Cyrano R3 Handlebars
    Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow saddle
    Deda Superleggero seatpost
  • Dominos pizza (large) with garlic bread & wedges the night before then take any leftovers with you. Also, make sure you take on board a few glasses of Belgium's finest in an established drinking house halfway through the ride and then recover with a curry afterwards.

That is sports science in action.
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    for longer rides: Torq energy drink in one bottle, plain water the other, and if needed stop to buy more water. Eat Natural and/or Frusli bars. Often carry a gel (Torq), but do not consume them routinely, more of a last resort if needed.

I did do 45 miles of the Amstel Gold route one afternoon after having missed lunch in the drive across Belgium. Gels and bars consumed to get around, but never again - proper food before setting out is much better.

A lot depends on the routes taken, often I ride where there is no where to buy anything, so the compactness of bars and gels means it is easy to stuff enough into a pocket.
  • Tjgoodhew
    Tjgoodhew Posts: 628
    For anything under 2 hours i would take one bottle of either Gatorade or a High 5 tablet. Im a big fan of the citrus tablets at the moment.

In terms of food i do struggle to eat real food so i do use gels. The High5 Iso gels are actually quite nice - almost like a yoghurt drink. Usually take one or two on a ride of three hours plus. Altho i have recently started taking a couple of brioche rolls and they seem to be quite easy to eat.

Most of the stuff i use tends to be High 5 as i know it agrees with me and like the flavours.
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I tend to use 'Sports' bars because if I buy normal food, flapjacks etc, I just eat them at home when watching TV - so double bad: 1) I eat when I shouldnt and 2) there are none left when I go cycling! It is psychologically easier to avoid eating 'sports' bars when not doing sport.

30 - 90 mins just take water
    1.5 - 2.5 hours take water, a snack bar and gel but usually only have one or the other at halfway break
    over 2.5 hours, sometimes take High5 powder in one drink bottle and if all day water in another and snacks/gels but dont always use them

I like:

High5 4:1 powder
    High5 Gels - especially Summer Fruit or Apple but all flavours good
    Clif Bars - all flavours, especially the peanut one
    Mule bars - Liquorice is fab, not so keen on the others although the kids love cinnamon and apple
    Zipvit bars - especially uncoated choc, yoghurt & blueberry, choc orange
    Clif Shot Bloks

The Torq rhubarb gel is absolutely delicious but I have so much High5 free from sportives that I have never bought these - have been given a few though and they would be my ultimate choice.

Also good and cheaper/more normal are Kellogs Nutrigrain
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,848
    Eat something decent before you leave - muesli or porridge.

I keep a couple of gels and an energy bar in my back pocket for "emergencies". I can't remember the last time I had a gel. I had an energy bar a couple of months ago.

I've also been carrying to packs of Shot Bloks for the last 3 months and have eaten about one third of the total (one pack is caffeinated) and would eat the shot bloks before the gels.

I use hydration tablets although am about to buy some pwder stuff from My Protein as it is much cheaper.

On Saturday I did 145km and drank 3 - 4 750ml bottles (diluting juice). At about 80km we stopped for coffee and a piece of cake. At about 110km I had two shot bloks and then stopped for soup and a sandwich.

I much prefer savoury top ups to sweet. So I'd rather have a stop for coffee/bacon roll than have another belly full of sweet carbs.
  • thegreatdivide
    thegreatdivide Posts: 5,804
    If you want to eat solid food eat solid food. If you want to consume gels consume gels. If you want to pretend you’re some hard man Audaxing legend who only drinks the sweat off your top lip on a 48hr non-stop pannier fest across wherever then that’s fine too.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,530
    :lol:
  • Nick Cod
    Nick Cod Posts: 321
    It's a difficult one to summarise as everyone is different and we all ride different distances and gradients. My Dad lives in Suffolk so most of his riding is pretty flat and he'll normally take a snack of some kind and one 750ml water bottle. I'm slowly introducing him to electrolytes as he did his first century ride back in May. However out on a regular 35 mile loop he often stops for a coffee part way round if he feels like it

For me I have the option of a few more hills where I live. I'm all for Torq products as they taste good, but don't normally use a gel if I'm doing less than 50 miles. I generally have two bottles one with water and the other has either High 5 or Torq formula. For food I make my own flapjacks so know what goes in them, but also banana is handy to have. And for longer distances peanut butter kitkats are a welcome treat

I can't remember where I read it, may have even been here somewhere. but I think it was a cycling coach said view long rides as a rolling buffet, try to eat every hour little and often as by the time you're hungry it's too late. But if you're five minutes from home and hunger kicks in you'll probably be fine

There's a lot of discussion as to what works but I've found it's largely down to trail and error, just find what works for you. The one suggestion I would standby as recommended above is a good breakfast if you're going out in the morning, porridge + fruit is a winner :D
    2016 Cube Agree C:62 SLT DISC
    2013 Cayo Evo 3
    2013 Zesty 414
    2002 Avalanche 0.0
    2018 Vitus Substance v2 105 Gravel
  • joedxb
    joedxb Posts: 15
    My rides tend to average about 50km's, I use High5 tablets mixed with water to keep me hydrated. I go through about 2 litres on a 50k ride, mainly down to the temperature and humidity at this time of year

I've tried a few different things on the food front, gels do work for me,personally the high5 ones taste the best, but something equally as good are fresh dates
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    An important consideration is how long it has been since you last ate.
    Starting a ride many hours after having eaten will require more on-bike fueling.
    If you've eaten recently prior to riding, then less on-bike fuel is needed - at least for rides under about 2 hours.

ALSO - drinking a carb energy drink on completion of a ride can be beneficial - it will help to restore your body's energy supplies that were depleted on the ride.

My typical ride is about 35 miles in the morning. I eat several commercial cookie-type 'fig bars' about an hour beforehand, and drink a 650 ml water bottle of Gatorade while riding. On completion I drink and eat more to restore carbs and protein.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,280
    Fuente lost the Giro d'Italia for not eating enough... keep munching and hydrating... you don't want to ride on a low.

With a good breakfast I can go for 3 hours with no food and one 600 ml bottle of tap water... but I am not Fuente... :wink:
    left the forum March 2023
  • Dippydog2
    Dippydog2 Posts: 291
    Fuente lost the Giro d'Italia for not eating enough... keep munching and hydrating... you don't want to ride on a low.

With a good breakfast I can go for 3 hours with no food and one 600 ml bottle of tap water... but I am not Fuente... :wink:

And I bet your pee looks like Sauternes afterwards.

My favourite drink. (I am referring to the French bottled variety of course. :D )
  • dilatory
    dilatory Posts: 565
    Dominos pizza (large) with garlic bread & wedges the night before then take any leftovers with you. Also, make sure you take on board a few glasses of Belgium's finest in an established drinking house halfway through the ride and then recover with a curry afterwards.

Do you offer coaching?
  • Roadie74
    Roadie74 Posts: 18
    bowl of porridge with fruit before I head off then just use my own homemade gels + homemade electrolyte drink and water. Have tried various gel brands, they're ok as a back up but they all seem to have a lot of crap in them. I've found making my own to be healthier and cheaper and just as effective in fueling me on short or long rides
  • But whichever gel/ bar has the prettiest packaging and looks the cooooolest as you toss it into the hedgerows a la le profesionales....
  • ugo.santalucia
    Dippydog2 wrote:
    ee looks like Sauternes afterwards.

My favourite drink. (I am referring to the French bottled variety of course. :D )

Unfortunately the drink industry has instilled the "fear of yellow pee" in many... mild dehydration has never been a serious issue until Gatorade came on the market in the 1980s... people couldn't drink enough of the stuff...

It always strike me how PROs throw away the bottle for the final climb of the day, after 4 hours on the saddle in the heat
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

It always strike me how PROs throw away the bottle for the final climb of the day, after 4 hours on the saddle in the heat

Because they usually get given another one when they get to the top. Copying the pros is not always a good idea...
  • dilatory wrote:
    Dominos pizza (large) with garlic bread & wedges the night before then take any leftovers with you. Also, make sure you take on board a few glasses of Belgium's finest in an established drinking house halfway through the ride and then recover with a curry afterwards.

Do you offer coaching?

Yes, yes I do. Where/what would you like to improve?
  • ugo.santalucia
    To promote an industry that didn't exist, they even "invented" the word dehydration, which previously only belonged to the medical gergon. Before we used to say "I am thirsty"... but now everybody says "I am dehydrated", from a desire it has become an acute condition, that you can cure by spending 1.50 for a bottle of water or a bit more for "hydrating fluids" (read water + sugar and flavourings).
    My family used to drink tap water until the bottle water industry in Italy made such a campaign that it became almost a sin to drink tap water. Nobody drinks tap water enymore.... even if they live close to the spring the bottled water comes from. If you take a walk in the bottled water aisle in an Italian supermarket, you are likely to count between 50 and 100 different brands and types of bottled water, with various degrees of carbonation... then there is another aisle for the flavoured water.

Bring on hydration, the latest trick of the trade! :lol:
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I used to know someone who worked in the water industry. I forget the exact numbers but he used to say that tap water in the UK has to go through something like 50 different processes to be allowed for consumption whereas bottled water only goes through 15 - so tap water should in theory be cleaner.

I am less sure when I go overseas but that may be out of date superstition, but for a week or two I usually think it prudent to drink bottled water as a) I wouldnt want to be ill on holiday and b) its easy to sustain for a week or two but would be more hassle to do as a routine.

When I was in Italy recently, the tour leaders said that if the accomodation provides bottle water in the rooms, dont trust the tap water but if they dont that means the tap water should be OK to drink. Is that true?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure what point you are trying to make there Ugo - exercise and hydration have always been inextricably linked for well-understood and long established physiological reasons.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Roadie74 wrote:
    bowl of porridge with fruit before I head off then just use my own homemade gels + homemade electrolyte drink and water. Have tried various gel brands, they're ok as a back up but they all seem to have a lot of crap in them. I've found making my own to be healthier and cheaper and just as effective in fueling me on short or long rides

Do you mind sharing your homemade gel recipe? And how you package them? I'm intrigued.