Froome - physically or mentally broken?

12346»

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dougzz wrote:
    All this Toblerone talk and now I can't stop thinking of the lovely Marianne Faithfull.
    That was a Mars Bar wasn't it?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    RichN95 wrote:
    dougzz wrote:
    All this Toblerone talk and now I can't stop thinking of the lovely Marianne Faithfull.
    That was a Mars Bar wasn't it?

Yes allegedly. A Toblerone? Ouch!
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    @chrisfroome: MRIs done, confirmed fractures to the left wrist & right hand. Time for some R&R...

No no. There's nothing wrong with him physically. And he didn't get hurt in the crashes

Mentally and physically broken then, the poor guy had no chance of carrying on.
    Yes, both mentally and physically, but almost entirely physically.

Wonder what injuries were pre stage 5 and what was further damage

well I think the left wrist break (and remember a break doesnt have to be like a total horror fest bone break it could just be one bone in the wrist/hand thats broken) happened pre stage 5, as he was already wearing a wrist cast (though they called it heavy strapping) for stage 5, Xrays dont always immediately show up breaks in bones like that,

but I had to wear one of those casts when I broke just a tiny bone in my hand and that would have limited his ability to hold that side of the handlebars anyway as they are designed to restrict movement, even before ignoring the pain lack of mobility youd have from the injury, I mean I couldnt even grip a mug of tea properly for weeks afterwards, let alone try and hold a handlebar,or do anything useful like use the brakes or change gear with it. and Id suspect that probably contributed in part to the falls on stage 5, because then hes favouring his right side more, and Id be disinclined to rely on predominantly front braking in the wet, and then he knows after the second crash he just cant hold the bike or grip it properly and hes just risking more injuries/falls carrying on, whilst already in alot of pain.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    That'll be Michelle wiping his bum for him for the next few weeks... Adding her insults to his injuries.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Hinault (yes what does he know) said he thought Froome had spent too much time riding in the middle of the bunch this year and didn't think he looked great at the start of the tour. I must say he looked good to me on the climb out of Manchester etc but I've only caught snippets of the race this year.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    TheBigBean wrote:
    Now I'm not saying I would have ridden on with one hand and one wrist fractured, nor that Froome should have done, but fractures that only show up on MRIs (as opposed to x-rays) are not exactly the most serious type of fracture. Anyone other than a pro sportsman would have been told "you're lucky you didn't break it, it's just a bruise, take some ibuprofen and go home and rest."

That doesn't change the fact that it probably hurt and riding cobbles was tricky.
    Rubbish, very painful scaphoid fractures are often diagnosed with MRI.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Scaphoid fractures are not actually that painful ( I have had one ) . The feeling is more like a dull ache as your bones are knitting together.

The pain may have been ligament related tbh.

Catch 22 really. A scaphoid fracture needs support but the support would have massively hindered his ability to grip the hoods comfortably.

Cycling is quite a unique sport where your whole body needs to be 100% for optimum performance.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    He dropped out of the Tour, he was reigning champion, enough said. No one, not least the champ, drops out of the Tour unless its absolutely unavoidable.

We can debate the minutia of bone fractures all day but only he knows how much pain he was in and how much control he had over the bike. :(
  • tom3 wrote:
    Cycling is quite a unique sport where your whole body needs to be 100% for optimum performance.

Not sure this is true. I'd say you can get away with a lot more in cycling than you can in running (weight supporting) or rowing (uses pretty much every part of your body).

That said, at the top level of any sport, if you're even slightly crocked, you're going to underperform.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    tom3 wrote:
    I reckon you would win a long flat TT with a broken wrist.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I seem to recall that Casey Stoner managed to race a MotoGP bike on several occasions with a broken scaphoid. :shock:

Each injury is unique though.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    I guess AC is rubbish bike handler and a pussy also now he has withdrawn?
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    awavey wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    RonB wrote:
    @chrisfroome: MRIs done, confirmed fractures to the left wrist & right hand. Time for some R&R...

No no. There's nothing wrong with him physically. And he didn't get hurt in the crashes

Mentally and physically broken then, the poor guy had no chance of carrying on.
    Yes, both mentally and physically, but almost entirely physically.

Wonder what injuries were pre stage 5 and what was further damage

well I think the left wrist break (and remember a break doesnt have to be like a total horror fest bone break it could just be one bone in the wrist/hand thats broken) happened pre stage 5, as he was already wearing a wrist cast (though they called it heavy strapping) for stage 5, Xrays dont always immediately show up breaks in bones like that,

but I had to wear one of those casts when I broke just a tiny bone in my hand and that would have limited his ability to hold that side of the handlebars anyway as they are designed to restrict movement, even before ignoring the pain lack of mobility youd have from the injury, I mean I couldnt even grip a mug of tea properly for weeks afterwards, let alone try and hold a handlebar,or do anything useful like use the brakes or change gear with it. and Id suspect that probably contributed in part to the falls on stage 5, because then hes favouring his right side more, and Id be disinclined to rely on predominantly front braking in the wet, and then he knows after the second crash he just cant hold the bike or grip it properly and hes just risking more injuries/falls carrying on, whilst already in alot of pain.

Would he have to have held his tea as well as ride his bike?

Some liquid in a bottle would have been easier. :(