Froome - physically or mentally broken?

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Yeah, he even had to ask someone to close the car door when he got in.

Who does he think he is? Sir Bradley Wiggins.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    tim000 wrote:
    shame for kennaugh though. wasn`t he going to be the GC rider ?

So unlucky. He's got a great case to be protected plan B.

Porte's getting a Tour leader's ride with the minimum of pressure. Looked like he enjoyed it today. He'll likely have to attack with Contador to challenge. Interesting dynamic.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes I think the commentators/pundits are underestimating Porte when they say Sky will have to ride for stages - if he's on form he has a decent chance of the podium.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Yes I think the commentators/pundits are underestimating Porte when they say Sky will have to ride for stages - if he's on form he has a decent chance of the podium.

I suspect an aspect of clever tactics from the press on this one. If Porte is to make a decent tilt at the GC, he's going to have to take time somewhere - so if he goes for it and doesn't get anywhere the press congratulate themselves on cleverly predicting that Sky will be concentrating on stages at the expense of the overall, and if he does get close on GC it'll merely be a happy side effect of Sky doing what they al suggested. If he just potters about and achieves bugger all, presumably they'll spend the next fortnight telling us that he's keeping his powder dry for the big Sky push to win a stage...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Just got announced he had already broken his left wrist in the first crash and broke his right hand in the second.

So not really a question of being weak and more being very injured.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Just got announced he had already broken his left wrist in the first crash and broke his right hand in the second.

It does rather knock the whole debate on the head, doesn't it?
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460

I wondered at the time if he had a broken bone at the start stage and the crash made it worse.

Just bad luck really and took guts to even start the stage
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    He looked pretty battered the previous day, it was hard to tell if the marks on his thigh were old bruising or fresh or a mix of the two.
  • rick_chasey

I suspect an aspect of clever tactics from the press on this one. If Porte is to make a decent tilt at the GC, he's going to have to take time somewhere - so if he goes for it and doesn't get anywhere the press congratulate themselves on cleverly predicting that Sky will be concentrating on stages at the expense of the overall, and if he does get close on GC it'll merely be a happy side effect of Sky doing what they al suggested. If he just potters about and achieves bugger all, presumably they'll spend the next fortnight telling us that he's keeping his powder dry for the big Sky push to win a stage...

Grand Tour 2010 2011 2012 2013
    Giro 7 81 — —
    Tour – 72 89 19
    Vuelta — — 68 —

Not great. That Giro he also got 12 mins in a lucky break.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Reckon he can do top 10 definitely, and probably top 5 in this one. Don't think he'll take time back on Nibali but probably not lose too much. Certainly not to the likes of Talansky.
  • rick_chasey
    http://m.bbc.com/sport/cycling/28273523

Apologies for the mobile site.

Lesson kids - don't stick your hand out when you crash
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Grand Tour 2010 2011 2012 2013
    Giro 7 81 — —
    Tour – 72 89 19
    Vuelta — — 68 —

Not great. That Giro he also got 12 mins in a lucky break.
    Yeah, but for that 19th last year he lost nearly half an hour from being on the wrong side of big splits (twice).

In the key stages he was always up there:
    2nd at Ax 3
    4th in first TT
    15th on Ventoux
    6th on Alpe d'Huez
    5th at Semnoz

On that form he's top 5. He was one of the best 5 last year. How close is he to that now?
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    He always has a day or two where he loses a packet
  • RichN95.
    He always has a day or two where he loses a packet
    But when has he even been leader at a GT? I don't have to tell you that's a different dynamic. He's pretty consistent in one week races - top ten in six of his last seven finishes.
    On form he's really good, but is he on form?
  • rick_chasey
    I'd say he's looking ok form wise, but that's about as accurate as sticking my finger in the air.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    I'd be surprised if he wasn't top 5, I don't think Sky would be riding for him if they didn't believe he could do that.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    RichN95 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Can't believe that Froome couldn't carry on with a broken left wrist and a broken right hand. In my day, riders were racers and they'd fight through that pain and only get off if they were forced off...
    But to what end? So he can be nursed around the course by his team in the hope it might get better? Better to draw a line under it, regroup and everyone move on. Carrying on just for the sake of it is stupid.
    Come on Rich - you're better than that... :lol:
  • RichN95.
    mroli wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    mroli wrote:
    Can't believe that Froome couldn't carry on with a broken left wrist and a broken right hand. In my day, riders were racers and they'd fight through that pain and only get off if they were forced off...
    But to what end? So he can be nursed around the course by his team in the hope it might get better? Better to draw a line under it, regroup and everyone move on. Carrying on just for the sake of it is stupid.
    Come on Rich - you're better than that... :lol:
    To be honest, it was far from the dumbest opinion on this thread, so I took it at face value.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    If it was a 10 day race from here, I reckon most of us would have Porte as one of the top 2 or 3 favourites, especially with a 54km time trial. Whether he's in that sort of form or not is still a question, but the signs are very promising for him.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    You should try reading some of the comments on the Cycling News articles. I hope all the people who post there are 14 years old, or I despair!
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106

Yeah, should've just taken it on the chin. He'd have been fine to ride on with a broken jaw.
  • rick_chasey
    thegibdog wrote:

Yeah, should've just taken it on the chin. He'd have been fine to ride on with a broken jaw.

;)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    mroli wrote:
    You should try reading some of the comments on the Cycling News articles. I hope all the people who post there are 14 years old, or I despair!

That really is a site where the adage "never read the comments" really does apply. It's like the Daily Mail of cycling.

As for Toblerone Boy, we shall see. I'm not sure the team would put that much faith in him if he wasn't there on form or that he would be talking about wanting to get into the mountains if he was going to be shooting out the back at the first sign of an incline.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mooro
    mooro Posts: 483
    thegibdog wrote:

;)

Nice snot on the main bbc pic. Put me off my porridge this morning!
  • mooro
    mroli wrote:

That really is a site where the adage "never read the comments" really does apply. It's like the Daily Mail of cycling.

As for Toblerone Boy, we shall see. I'm not sure the team would put that much faith in him if he wasn't there on form or that he would be talking about wanting to get into the mountains if he was going to be shooting out the back at the first sign of an incline.

It's a bit early and I have missed a few days but is toblerone boy porte ? If so why?
  • above_the_cows
    Mooro wrote:
    mroli wrote:

It's a bit early and I have missed a few days but is toblerone boy porte ? If so why?

He really really likes Toblerone.
  • mooro
    [slightly deflated]

Oh, thanks.
  • above_the_cows
    Mooro wrote:
    [slightly deflated]

Oh, thanks.

Yeah it's not so interesting really, although if loving low lit instagram shots of Toblerone resting seductively on a duvet is your thing than Titchy Richie's instagram is the place to go.
  • mooro
    Mooro wrote:
    [slightly deflated]

Oh, thanks.

Yeah it's not so interesting really, although if loving low lit instagram shots of Toblerone resting seductively on a duvet is your thing than Titchy Richie's instagram is the place to go.

Thanks for the context. Just been there. Probably not go back there.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    All this Toblerone talk and now I can't stop thinking of the lovely Marianne Faithfull.