Tour de France Stage 6: Arras - Reims ***Spoilers***

RideOnTime
RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
edited July 2014 in Pro race
Gone early so I can work on the first page today; :)

Route Map

iyeb2o.jpg

Arras

Arras is the capital 'chef-lieu' of the Pas-de-Calais department. It is part of the Nord-Pas-de-Calais region, France’s fourth most populous region. It is located in Northern France on the Scarpe river. The Arras plain lies on a large chalk plateau bordered on the north by the Marqueffles fault, on the southwest by the Artois and Ternois hills, and on the south by the slopes of Beaufort-Blavincourt. On the east it is connected to the Scarpe valley.

Established during the Iron Age by the Gauls, the city of Arras was first known as Nemetocenna, which is believed to have originated from the Celtic word nemeton, meaning 'sacred space'. The first mention of the name Arras appeared in the 12th century.

The city has 45,000 residents while the Arras metropolitan area has a population of 124,200. It is located 182 kilometers (113 miles) north of Paris and can be reached in 2 hours by car and 45 minutes by train/TGV. It is the historic center of the former Artois province. Its local speech is characterized as a patois. The city of Arras is well known for its architecture, culture and history. It was once part of the Spanish Netherlands, a portion of the Low Countries controlled by Spain from 1556 to 1714.

Each year Arras attracts thousands of visitors, who can explore the city's architecture and historic buildings. The most famous attractions include: the visit of the Town Hall, the ascent of the Belfry (listed as an UNESCO World Heritage Site since 15 July 2005), The "Boves" (a maze 10 meters beneath the city), the Squares (La Place des Héros and La Grand'Place), the Art District (the Theatre of Arras and the Hôtel de Guînes), the Abbey District (The Saint-Vaast Abbey and the Cathedral of Arras), the Vauban Citadel, and the Nemetacum site (the ancient town founded by the Romans 2,000 years ago).[5]

Unlike many French words, the final s in the name Arras should be pronounced.

Reims

Reims also spelt Rheims is a city in the Champagne-Ardenne region of France, lies 129 km (80 mi) east-northeast of Paris. Founded by the Gauls, it became a major city during the period of the Roman Empire.

Reims played a prominent ceremonial role in French monarchical history as the traditional site of the crowning of the kings of France. The Cathedral of Reims (damaged by the Germans during the First World War but restored since) played the same role in France as Westminster Abbey has in the United Kingdom. It housed the Holy Ampulla (Sainte Ampoule) containing the Saint Chrême (chrism), allegedly brought by a white dove (the Holy Spirit) at the baptism of Clovis in 496. It was used for the anointing, the most important part of the coronation of French kings.

Some regard Reims as the de facto capital of the province of Champagne because it is the most populous city in the region.

Cheese (Pate instead)

2cq1dm1.jpg

Horses (in yellow jersey)

e7i7x3.jpg

Let's not Forget Wiggo (questionable relevance)

b4dt7a.jpg

Californian Wine - T J Van Lady Garden not that relevant!

2hxrec7.jpg

Froome Le Departe Poor Froomey :cry::cry::cry:

2v2xf82.jpg

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Tdf14_stage6_profile.png
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I would highly recommend the tour of the boves in Arras, as well as the WW1 museum.

Took the kids on a school trip there when I lived in Lens and I had tears in my eyes at the end, so emotional it was
  • RideOnTime
    2rpeh3r.jpg

I can see there's a danger of this thread slipping down the (r)ankings and hence all my pate finding lost. So to keep it up, so to speak, here for those who may not yet have seen it is the Lotto Belisol bus :) .
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RideOnTime wrote:
    2rpeh3r.jpg

I can see there's a danger of this thread slipping down the (r)ankings and hence all my pate finding lost. So to keep it up, so to speak, here for those who may not yet have seen it is the Lotto Belisol bus :) .

Wow there's some nice bikes in front of the Lotto Belisol bus. I wonder who they belong to?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • RideOnTime wrote:
    2rpeh3r.jpg

Wow there's some nice bikes in front of the Lotto Belisol bus. I wonder who they belong to?

Probably someone really fast and handsome and dead clever I guess :D
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime wrote:
    2rpeh3r.jpg

Probably someone really fast and handsome and dead clever I guess :D

Well one's a MTB. Queer aren't they these Yorkshire folk. You can imagine an 18-stone Yorkshireman just cruising up the side of Froomey on his MTB :)

Anyway we digress this thread is of course strictly for Stage 6 matters.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I think I read that the Somme is a predominantly chalk area in a WWI book (they were discussing how the infamous churned up mud was bad but that basically it was far better than the clay around Ypres). So that's the geology done.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Weather forecast similar to yesterday - reasonable chance of rain and a tailwind from the NNW. Temperatures in the balmy mid-teens....
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • RideOnTime
    Pross wrote:
    I think I read that the Somme is a predominantly chalk area in a WWI book (they were discussing how the infamous churned up mud was bad but that basically it was far better than the clay around Ypres). So that's the geology done.

You know and I know that you're not going to get away with that brevity :shock: :? :shock:
  • RideOnTime
    After an epic Stage 5 this old Tour is really hotting up...
    The stage 5 thread is quite difficult to digest. Have we said everything that needs to be said about Le Premature Departe of Froomey? Poor guy looked wrecked. :cry:
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    RideOnTime wrote:
    After an epic Stage 5 this old Tour is really hotting up...
    The stage 5 thread is quite difficult to digest. Have we said everything that needs to be said about Le Premature Departe of Froomey? Poor guy looked wrecked. :cry:

LEAVE IT!!!!
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Normally you'd reckon this to be a day for a break after yesterday's epicness, but since Kittel, Greipel and Degenkolb all knocked off early yesterday... it'll be a sprint stage
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • tailwindhome
    SuzeCY ‏@festinagirl · 9m
    As today's publicity caravan travels down the Chemin des Dames, it will hand out nothing but cornflowers

SuzeCY ‏@festinagirl · 9m
    Cornflowers - or bleuet - are the French flower of remembrance, 'for those who never reached 20'

SuzeCY ‏@festinagirl · 8m
    Today's podium jerseys will feature the bleuet and the winners will be handed bouquets of cornflowers

SuzeCY ‏@festinagirl · 58s
    15 riders from the 1914 peloton died in World War One - that's 10% of the riders who set out from Paris that year
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Who can tell me how to pronounce Reims?

I once tried to get directions there and no-one could understand where I was asking for. Eventually I was told it was said as 'Rrance'. Helpful.
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,810
    I always though it rhymed with dance (the northern way of saying it) rather than beams
  • mrpowly
    mrpowly Posts: 16
    nic_77 wrote:

I once tried to get directions there and no-one could understand where I was asking for. Eventually I was told it was said as 'Rrance'. Helpful.

I have had exactly the same experience.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    Todays drinking game - Take a swig every time someone pronounces Reims incorrectly, or maybe a tally between ITV and Eurosport.

Rrance is about right for the sounding
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • lucan2
    lucan2 Posts: 293
    I've just been out on the course at Bapaume. Crowds already gathering and all the side roads closed (much to my inconvenience because I needed to get to the shops).

Weather - drizzle
    Roads - wet

Back home now - I'll watch it from the sofa.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    I thought it was pronounced Rem in a sort of throaty growl like a dog bark.

Came across an amazing son et lumiere presentation on the catherdral frontage when we passed through Rem a few years ago.

Anyway, I drove from Arras to Reims down the motorway just to the east of the tour route ...much safer and quicker, and they need to be able to ride on all types of surfaces.
    Half man, Half bike
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Rrance it is! I've always known it as Reems or Ree-em's. Tut tut.

Anyway, more cultural fodder:

Rrance was also the host to the French Grand Prix way back when
    1966_reims_start.jpg
  • kleinstroker
    kleinstroker Posts: 2,133
    Reims pronunciation is nasty!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Saul_XBJaLA
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,852
    Rem!
    Half man, Half bike
  • fleshtuxedo
    Ooh la la, Kittel encore. Deja vu.
  • tailwindhome
    BsK5aRNCMAAK7cB.png:large
    BsK5YkZCAAA6AxN.png:large

Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 · 1h
    Big potential for cross winds after the sprint today. Here's the wind forecast, and how open the road is
  • RideOnTime
    nic_77 wrote:

Re eme x ams (phonetically with a silent x) :D

Cobbles are awesome.... leave it !!!
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    BsK5aRNCMAAK7cB.png:large
    BsK5YkZCAAA6AxN.png:large

Daniel Lloyd ‏@daniellloyd1 · 1h
    Big potential for cross winds after the sprint today. Here's the wind forecast, and how open the road is

Balls. I've backed demare again on the grounds that he's bound to get one eventually but he always spears to be in the wrong place when the peloton splits.

I'm sure I some echelon action will salve my disappointment though.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Phil and Paul going to mention Echelons at least 20 bazillion times.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • fleshtuxedo
    Yeah it looks open, but it's not THAT windy is it? 12mph gusting to 19mph is hardly a hurricane.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Yeah it looks open, but it's not THAT windy is it? 12mph gusting to 19mph is hardly a hurricane.
    That won't stop them.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Evening All,

40km gone and 4 riders up the road with a 4'15" gap. Pinaeu, Leezer, Mate and Gerard are the escapees.
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs