H plus son Archetype rims

13»

Comments

• If you wanted superlight handbuilts for £500, I'm sure something in the 1300-1400g range is perfectly possible. However...

Dura-Ace on Archetypes isn't necessarily the lightest £500 handbuilt, but that's not really the target it's aiming at. It's light enough, and it's going to eat most factory wheels in it's bracket for stiffness and reliability, along with being easy to service and repair. The big money here is on the hubs, but they will last until the sun blinks out with a little care. Higher end Shimano hubs are worth every gram. They wee freely over any opposition below silly money.
  • apreading wrote:
    Not like for like - the fulcrums have 20/24 spokes for a start. Plus weight is not everything - you could build a really light hub that wouldnt last or roll as well and a thin rim that wouldnt be as strong.

You say that you are looking to upgrade but I ask you "why?", because you dont seem to know. Are you upgrading to get something lighter or something more reliable/better performing? Your post reads as though you are looking to upgrade just because someone told you that you should. What do your current wheels lack that you want?

Good question. I have bought a bike minus wheels to be used during winter, the plan was to move the fulcrum 5s onto the winter bike then get a "better" set for the summer bike which is used for training and road racing.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Maybe I'm backwards, I prefer handbuilt wheels for Winter with good hubs and 28 spoke counts for a reliable but not overly heavy ride. If you pack in the miles rim swaps can be frequent.

For racing in the summer, being reliable can be less important, especially if circuit racing.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Handbuilt with wide medium depth rims are often stiffer than factory wheels dangerous dave.

For £500 you could get a set of archetype rims laced to DA9000 hubs with sapim laser/race spokes, or something similar. The hubs are something you keep and lace up again to rim when then original ones wear out. You won't do that with fulcrum hubs as new parts are too expensive or unavailable. They will also be stiffer than almost anything factory on the market. Wheelset weight can be as low as 1600g depending on spoke and nipple choices.

It is a shame I use Campagnolo 10/11 speed drivetrains as I would be running these hubs myself.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • patrickf
    patrickf Posts: 536
    Keezx wrote:
    Interesting indeed.
    The calculaters I use take middle-middle.....someting to remember when calculating.
    Roger Musson seems to think it doesn't make much difference:
    I always measure to the inside faces of the hub flange because it’s easier to do, if you measure to the centre of the flange then it won’t make much difference.[/quot]