2015 Gear

Comments

• FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Ber Nard wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see electric gears have one shifter soon, crossovers trapped out with the front derailleur changing automatically. Reliability would have to be spot on though with some kind of fail safe.

Already done. Shimano XTR Di2 Syncro shift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZGuwhSLcJU

Rob

Cheers, lots of possibilities with electric. Ummmmmm...
  • SCR Pedro
    SCR Pedro Posts: 912
    Those new Look frames are ugly to me. I hope the style doesn't catch on. Those Argons are very nice, however.
    Giant TCR Advanced II - Reviewed on my homepage
    Giant TCR Alliance Zero
    BMC teammachineSLR03
    The Departed
    Giant SCR2
    Canyon Roadlite
    Specialized Allez
    Some other junk...
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I'd like to see the Look with the stem dropped to horizontal. I reckon it would look (excuse the pun) a lot better. I still want one.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I'd like to see the Look with the stem dropped to horizontal. I reckon it would look (excuse the pun) a lot better. I still want one.

Nope. Still looks fugly: LOOK-795-AEROLIGHT-PREMIUM-PROTEAM.jpg
  • Pokerface wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

I'm not so sure - but the seat tube looks out of balance all black - if they coloured it differently there -
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

I'm not so sure - but the seat tube looks out of balance all black - if they coloured it differently there -

It looks like a giraffe!
  • Ber Nard
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

I like it!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Pokerface wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

What's that saying about silk purses and sows ears (or polishing turds)?
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    And to think they used to make bikes like this :(

1-Look_fullDS.jpg

For shame.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • FocusZing
    deleted.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's a shame. The Look is bordering on being a really great aero road bike. If the head tube wasn't so tall, then it would do it for me. I suppose this would negate some f the aero effect though. It's similar in starter to the Cervelo S5
  • benmac75
    benmac75 Posts: 53
    Argon 18 Nitrogen
    _Argon18_Nitrogen_2015_frameset_01.jpg
    _Argon18_Nitrogen_2015_frameset_02.jpg

oooh - I'm looking for a new bike for next year (already - as I 'made do this year') - that is definitely in the line up
    I find I'm going more for functionality than flair - Argon is Canadian? - I always think Swiss/Austrian for some reason.
    what are those brakes?

They look like TRP TTVs. I have them on my Argon E116 and I was somewhat surprised at how well they worked the first time I really hammered them.
  • Crozza
    Crozza Posts: 991
    I think if they simply joined the top tube to the seat tube higher and made the head tube shorter it would look totes amazeballs. The integrated stem thingy alone is brilliant and looks incredible, just the rest of the frame doesn't!

I cannot fathom why they didn't do just this
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    If I didn't know better I'd say I was reading and looking at a fashion magazine. Lovely this, lovely that, smooth flowing lines, impeccable presentation, etc. So all this is not about new things in cycling but a simple fashion statement? :? Once cycling becomes fashionable I'm gonna have to quit riding. No way will I spend money on something simply because it looks good. I want function, not pretty / showoff/ bling. :wink:
  • Ber Nard
    I don't think the effective head tube length is that long compared to most other road bikes, it's just that the design of the frame makes the stem appear to be part of the head tube. Much lower at the front and it would probably be as low as a TT frame (and put off the mamils who have the money to buy one). Similarly, if the top tube met the seat tube much higher, I think the stand over height for a given size might be a bit extreme.

I suppose the top tube design is an unfortunate trade off for integrating the stem and maintaining a decent riding position.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Imagining a Look with a horizontal top tube. That's doing it for me.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    dennisn wrote:
    Once cycling becomes fashionable I'm gonna have to quit riding.

So you have quit, then?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • dennisn
    DiscoBoy wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    Once cycling becomes fashionable I'm gonna have to quit riding.

So you have quit, then?

I guess I've always thought that people ride bikes because they like to, because they get them from point to point, because they like racing / competition, because they need the exercise, etc. Call me weird if you will but I've never thought of cycling becoming something that people do to look cool, showoff, act like something they're not, etc. However it's starting to appear that I'm really, really, wrong in more ways than one. Everybody seems to be talking about how "fashionable" this or that bike component or piece of clothing looks. Almost as if they cruised the same boulevarde everyday showing off and hoping to be noticed. :oops:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    bikes have to look good as well as go well, you wouldn't want to spend all that money on something that looked awful. (I like the LOOKs by the way, they're a bit different)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,162
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I don't think the effective head tube length is that long compared to most other road bikes, it's just that the design of the frame makes the stem appear to be part of the head tube. Much lower at the front and it would probably be as low as a TT frame (and put off the mamils who have the money to buy one). Similarly, if the top tube met the seat tube much higher, I think the stand over height for a given size might be a bit extreme.

I suppose the top tube design is an unfortunate trade off for integrating the stem and maintaining a decent riding position.

Yep, that was my thought. It would be too extreme a drop for the vast majority of buyers. The head tube needs to compensate for the lack of visible steerer and stack. It's not really a viable bike for the vast majority of potential buyers in any case.
  • dennisn wrote:
    Call me weird....

You're weird!

:D
  • dennisn
    Pross wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:

Yep, that was my thought. It would be too extreme a drop for the vast majority of buyers. The head tube needs to compensate for the lack of visible steerer and stack. It's not really a viable bike for the vast majority of potential buyers in any case.

Just to play devils advocate. I think it IS a "viable bike for the vast......". If you look at it from the point of view of pretentious buyers(and there are bunches) well this is THE bike that will make them faster, look good doing it, show the rest of the cycling world that they know what it's all about, etc., even if they don't have a clue.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Trek Domane Koppenberg
    Domane_Koppenberg_2_web.jpg
    Frameset = $4,199.99
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Ber Nard
    That makes a lot of sense to me, more so than the current crop of aero bikes. A shame that, judging by the price and limited sizes, it seems Trek have only released it to stay within the UCI's rules.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Trek Domane Koppenberg
    Domane_Koppenberg_2_web.jpg
    Frameset = $4,199.99
    Where's that lottery ticket, I NEED this :-)
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Gear from the Tour TT:
    http://velonews.competitor.com/2014/08/ ... nce_339211

Team Sky need a printout on how to warm-up:
    518.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dennisn
    Gear from the Tour TT:

518.jpg

Maybe it was posted more as a sort of restraint to remind riders not to overdo the warm up.
    Just because they are pro's doesn't mean they don't need a bit of direction. :?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,660
    FocusZing wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    I wouldn't be surprised to see electric gears have one shifter soon, crossovers trapped out with the front derailleur changing automatically. Reliability would have to be spot on though with some kind of fail safe.

Rob

SRAM talking about having just 2 buttons, one on each side of the bars for Up and Down too...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • FocusZing
    ddraver wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:
    Ber Nard wrote:
    FocusZing wrote:

Rob

SRAM talking about having just 2 buttons, one on each side of the bars for Up and Down too...

That sounds good, flexible solar cells built into bike frames soon to charge batteries powering all the tech.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    dennisn wrote:
    Gear from the Tour TT:

518.jpg

Maybe it was posted more as a sort of restraint to remind riders not to overdo the warm up.
    Just because they are pro's doesn't mean they don't need a bit of direction. :?

Makes you wonder why Real Madrid bother paying Carlo Ancelotti and his staff all that money, or Usain Bolt has a coach doesn't it. Surely they should just rock up and perform.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris