The Lanterne Rouge Thread

Comments

• dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    They don't think Cheng will make it over the mountains, so they're burning everything he's got now and sparing their other riders. Sorry to say it, but I don't think the lad is going to make it to Paris.

FWIW he rode the Vuelta in 2012, his only other GT. Finished it.... dead last!
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve Posts: 4,069
    Cheng!
    Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538
    dish_dash wrote:
    They don't think Cheng will make it over the mountains, so they're burning everything he's got now and sparing their other riders. Sorry to say it, but I don't think the lad is going to make it to Paris.

FWIW he rode the Vuelta in 2012, his only other GT. Finished it.... dead last!

Blimey. I stand corrected.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    Wow. Just wow. In all this Cheng fever you lot all seem to have missed that my man King Edward just took him for a whopping 5 minutes to take the Lanterne lead! Spectacular 17 minute drop. Awesome racing. Come on spud!
  • pottssteve
    Wow. Just wow. In all this Cheng fever you lot all seem to have missed that my man King Edward just took him for a whopping 5 minutes to take the Lanterne lead! Spectacular 17 minute drop. Awesome racing. Come on spud!

Ted King's efforts have been noted and applauded in the ChengWatch thread.. :)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406

Wey hey King Edward, I wonder if this 5 minutes is the result of the prune cake Toblerone Boy shared with him?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    pottssteve wrote:

But but but... That doesn't even have spoiler in the title!
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:

Nor does this

xx
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    pottssteve wrote:

Nor does this

xx
    Yes, but this is THE Lanterne Rouge thread. Everyone knows it's got spoilers.
    Xx
  • pottssteve
    pottssteve wrote:

Nor does this

xx
    Xx

Happy now?! :)
  • above_the_cows
    pottssteve wrote:

Nor does this

xx
    Xx

Good point.
    xx
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    pottssteve wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:

Nor does this

xx
    Xx

Happy now?! :)
    Ecstatic :-) xx.

And a last xx to all you Lanterne rouge threaders before I head to the beach xx
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    The Lanterne aint over till its over.Just saying.
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    The people who storm into first place are often burning too brightly / too fast and will end up retiring.

It's the consistent gaining 2 mins here and there that wins it.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    The people who storm into first place are often burning too brightly / too fast and will end up retiring.

I think King Edward may well be concentrating on the prize though, rather than being a show pony who goes home as soon as the real time bonuses are up for grabs. Cannondale are clearly taking it seriously - I see from today's results that the spud-named nipper had not one but two riders to protect him at the important end of the peloton, eventually snapping the elastic and taking nearly four minutes off anyone else.

I'm particularly impressed by the strategy of putting Sagan as far up the road as possible so that every other team feels obliged to chase, thereby stretching the gap out further. Far from being tactically naive, Sagan is riding the perfect race in the service of the LR - it's good to see teams giving the position the respect it deserves.
  • nevman
    *Agree.Contrary to other `so-called` commentators,he didnt go early enough.

*Ive been at a cider festival.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • No_Ta_Doctor

I think King Edward may well be concentrating on the prize though, rather than being a show pony who goes home as soon as the real time bonuses are up for grabs. Cannondale are clearly taking it seriously - I see from today's results that the spud-named nipper had not one but two riders to protect him at the important end of the peloton, eventually snapping the elastic and taking nearly four minutes off anyone else.

I'm particularly impressed by the strategy of putting Sagan as far up the road as possible so that every other team feels obliged to chase, thereby stretching the gap out further. Far from being tactically naive, Sagan is riding the perfect race in the service of the LR - it's good to see teams giving the position the respect it deserves.

Here's consisteny, Mr Potato's finishing positions:
    184 114 195 193 182 159 184
  • pottssteve
    Ted King still leads, but now only by 7 seconds over Cheng Ji as Cheng finished 4 minutes down today.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    pottssteve wrote:
    Ted King still leads, but now only by 7 seconds over Cheng Ji as Cheng finished 4 minutes down today.

Cheng only took a minute and half out of Spud.

It's a close one.
  • *wrong thread, deleted.
  • pottssteve
    Ben King came in with the peloton at 7'46", so assuming he makes the cut Cheng will be back in red this evening.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    pottssteve wrote:
    Ben King came in with the peloton at 7'46", so assuming he makes the cut Cheng will be back in red this evening.
    Ted King is last, not Ben
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Is Cheng a celebrity in China for doing the tour, would they get the irony of the lanterne rouge? It may be bike radar are his biggest fan club
  • pottssteve
    RichN95 wrote:
    pottssteve wrote:
    Ted King is last, not Ben

My mistake - it's late in HK!
  • pottssteve
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Is Cheng a celebrity in China for doing the tour, would they get the irony of the lanterne rouge? It may be bike radar are his biggest fan club

The race is shown on Eurosport in HK with Chinese commentary. There are highlights shown on the MTR (train system) each day. I don't know about the mainland.

However, out of the billion or so people in China I would be surprised if more than a couple of hundred of them have any idea that the lantern rouge even exists. There are more people riding here, and there is a vast market to tap into for cycling...
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Certainly is a big market. Cheng still not Lanterne Rouge unfortunately, despite a good effort he's still 7 seconds off.
  • nevman
    Canny move to avoid the burden of the red shirt.

Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.
  • above_the_cows
    King Edward is cooked, roasted, steamed, fried and any other cooking related adjectives you care to mention as he climbs into the car in the rain soaked Vosges on stage 10.

This means that the mighty CHENG is virtual lantern on the road.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,643
    King Edward is cooked, roasted, steamed, fried and any other cooking related adjectives you care to mention as he climbs into the car in the rain soaked Vosges on stage 10.

This means that the mighty CHENG is virtual lantern on the road.

Whoop Whoop for Cheng...

Sorry for Ted. He's not had a very happy race. Did mention his battle with Cheng here: http://www.iamtedking.com/2014/07/echo- ... echo-echo/
  • above_the_cows
    Oh bless the maple syrup loving potato. That was a fun read. Poor Ted. :(