Buying a new bike - red rims

Comments

• IDave - I may be able to increase to £450 but that's it. You can get good looking bikes for this price.

welshkev - At the time of buying (many years a go), it was a good looking bike and I liked it. Looking for something much nicer now though.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I once had a white Raleigh Burner with red Skyway wheels. Thats the bike you want.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    I once had a white Raleigh Burner with red Skyway wheels. Thats the bike you want.

That bike was actually awesome. I had the blue one with yellow wheels.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    I've always taken care over the way my bikes look and I always will. I will not settle for anything that looks cheap and tacky.

Your budget will only buy you something cheap, then with red rims it will look tacky, I don't think you have thought this through very well.
    Is your priority how it looks or how it rides? If it is how it looks then just go and buy some price of crap from Argos or Sportsdirect and chuck some equally cheap crap red rimmed wheels off ebay and you have ticked all the boxes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Personally for what he wants I'd get his current frame stripped and powder coated - £100 max and a set of superstar wheels -£130

Job done for £230 as I reckon he doesn't actually ride off road
  • Why is everyone being so patronising? If you don't have any genuine help to give then go elsewhere

WindyG - I understand that £400 in the mountain bike world isn't a lot but it's all I can spend at the moment. I wouldn't quite categorise it as 'cheap' though. £90 would be cheap. I'm looking for the best I can get for the price I mentioned, while still having something that looks good.

welshkev - I ride both on-road and off-road. I prefer off road as it is more fun and there are many forests round here that are great for mountain biking off-road. Also, I'm after a new bike. I don't want my current bike stripped.
  • IDave
    IDave Posts: 223
    Why is everyone being so patronising?

Well you have basically come on here and said you don't want to listen to any advice and you want a white bike with red wheels regardless of spec and you want it cheap.

People on the forum are friendly, but if you arrive with an attitude like that you will get nowhere.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I think it is safe to say that there are very few "off the peg" bikes that come with a white frame and red rims and even fewer in the £400 price bracket. Getting specific with colour schemes and so on falls into the same categories as getting specific with the spec of components which puts you in the custom build category and hence, generally speaking a higher price bracket.

You may be able to buy second hand or bargain components to build a custom spec that fits your form but the function may not be good.

You could look for an On One Inbred frame Like This, take components from your old bike and/or buy other inexpensive parts to build it up and locate a set of red wheels that suit. You get to build the bike so get to learn about bikes and bike maintenance, plus there is satisfaction in selecting components and searching for those bargains.

That is all I got for you. Go to it.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Have a look at used Specialized Hardrocks. I think it was 2011 they had a white and red frame with red wheels. Not a bike I would normally recommend but it's the only one I can think of to almost meet your very specific requirements.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8yRpQDM4qIc-At_MHfS7MdkypLfvQcNMPPbnzSEaZ9gEHlsEH
  • IDave - At what point have I not taken advice? And what's this 'attitude' you speak of? If you read through this thread you will see I have been nothing but calm and polite. I appreciate all the information given to me.

paul.skibum - Thanks for that information. I shall look more into custom building.

RockmonkeySC - Looking at Specialized Hardrocks now. Thanks.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Like I said, the Hardrock isn't very good (I had one) the only thing it has going for it is the colour.
    You can get a much better bike for the same money.
  • I think I'm going to look at rims separately. Finding a bike that comes with the sort of rims I am looking for is very difficult, especially at this price range.

For now I am going to concentrate on getting just the bike. One that looks good and performs well (for the price).
  • rockmonkeysc
    At your budget your best off looking at Carrera & Voodoo at Halfords or the Rockrider at Decathlon.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Red rims look shite
  • RockmonkeySC - I've already looked at Carrera at Halfords. They're certainly on the list for a possible purchase. The Rockrider looks nice. I shall look into them more. I've been looking at the Cannondale Trail 6 too, which is £450 - £500

Chunkers1980 - Thanks for your opinion. I've been looking at blue rims as well. I think these look nice.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Forget the big brands (Cannondale, Trek, Specialized, Scott, Giant) etc at below a grand, Halfords and Decathlon can offer so much more for your money.
  • Okay, thanks. I shall continue to look at Halfords and Decathlon.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Check Pauls Cycles - they often have decent discounts on last years models for some bigger brands.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • phippski
    phippski Posts: 17
    get this then add red wheels, job done.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-aggressor-3- ... 5360611291
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    welshkev wrote:

I had one of those as well, thanks to the BMX bandits film. Mine was gold with black padding, normal wheels though. Loved that bike.
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    I think I'm going to look at rims separately. Finding a bike that comes with the sort of rims I am looking for is very difficult, especially at this price range.

For now I am going to concentrate on getting just the bike. One that looks good and performs well (for the price).

ta daaaa.....

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/m ... in-bike-18
  • rockmonkeysc
    Oh Marone wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I had one of those as well, thanks to the BMX bandits film. Mine was gold with black padding, normal wheels though. Loved that bike.

Did you get bullied for not having Skyways on your Burner? Round here you would have been beaten like a ginger kid for that.
    Of course, the really cool kids (with rich parents) had a Curtis BMX, particularly popular because Brian Curtis built them in our town.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Red rims look shite

I disagree, I love my red-wheeled bike so much I even gave it a plank of wood to lean on in the garden:

pic_08.JPG

OP, Have you considered black with red wheels?
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Red rims look shite

I disagree, I love my red-wheeled bike so much I even gave it a plank of wood to lean on in the garden:

pic_08.JPG

OP, Have you considered black with red wheels?
    Obviously needs a crutch, being old and from an era before suspension was invented.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the links to bikes and bike websites everyone. I've been checking them out. Still undecided as to what to get though.

Giraffoto - Yes, I have considered black with red rims. I have also considered black with blue rims and white with blue rims. Got my eye on a few bikes at the moment (both black and white).
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Wheels, stems, bars etc and finishing kit should be black. If it's not the law it should be.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • chrisw333
    chrisw333 Posts: 695
    Do yourself a favour at your budget get the best bike for the money not the best looking bike for your money.

There is a MASSIVE difference in spec and functionality at this price point. At best you can get a really decent and acceptably light bike that will ride well on varied terrain - perfectly good enough for UK trail centres and ripe for upgrading in the future should you really get the bug (see the Bantu I linked to earlier - btw this model is better than their 2014 model if you do consider this bike).

At worst you can get a heavy piece of junk with terrible parts and most importantly an inadequate un-damped fork which could make riding a chore, particularly if you venture off road.

It's your money and you pays your money and takes your choice. But picking aesthetics over function at this budget really is inadvisable.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Giraffoto wrote:
    I love my red-wheeled bike

pic_08.JPG
    Have you got a picture of the bike with the red wheels fitted and not the pink ones in the photo then?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Oh Marone
    Oh Marone Posts: 261
    Oh Marone wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

Did you get bullied for not having Skyways on your Burner? Round here you would have been beaten like a ginger kid for that.
    Of course, the really cool kids (with rich parents) had a Curtis BMX, particularly popular because Brian Curtis built them in our town.

No my bike was cool as it had spokey dokeys :lol: . I was always jealous of my mates blinged out Mongoose (rich parents) as it had the plastic race number dodah on the bars and weighed about half the weight of my Burner, loads of chrome/polished bits. Was living in South Africa at the time and the Mongoose was the bmx to have.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I remember when Mongoose were cool. Things have changed a lot. I guess they went the same way as Raleigh.