Newbie building an xc bike

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Colour scheme?! It's like a blind person threw a paint palette at it!

Black forks will be infinitely better!
  • Qui3tman
    Qui3tman Posts: 94
    rainbowVomit.png
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    I'd get better forks. You've got a very high spec build there, and to ruin it with the cheapest rock shox fork out there seems like a bit of a waste...
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    Is that a 29er fork on a 26" wheel? Those frames look a bargain!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Not surprised the steerer is short, that headtube looks about 10 miles long.

Interesting colour scheme, not my cuppa tea.
  • Jeffchiz
    Jeffchiz Posts: 64
    the head tube is very long, and the yes they are 29" forks - read back ;)

regards to the colours... its a good thing its my bike then lol

and ive said they are being replaced by black ones soooooo thats an end to that

I am still buying the black versions, cheap they may be but they are what i want for the short term, 100mm with a lockout perfectly fine for me, and as said they are cheap enough to replace in the future when i feel the need
  • Jeffchiz
    new forks arrived today so chucked them on in my lunch break, i fitted about 30mm of spacers so i can adjust it to suit later on, if i end up keeping them then ill get some nicer looking ones
    then after work i chucked my brakes on along with my shifter got them set at a comfortable angle but then i could only find one grip! god knows where my other one is :S Tomorrow you never know i might get around to fitting some gearing!
    20140812_135638_zps04055231.jpg
    20140812_173115_zpse21b4386.jpg
    20140812_173124_zps179e2e84.jpg
    20140812_173136_zps4a627b73.jpg
    20140812_173144_zps19a4a211.jpg
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    For what its worth the black fork looks considerably less horrific! But I imagine you will find its limits on the trail pretty quick.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • njee20
    Yep, sorry, daft choice of fork. You've gone for a relative tough, burly rim and combined it with the cheapest XC fork they make?

The black looks infinitely better though, if you just stick to a few blue accents this could still work.
  • *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    That fork looks so wrong on that bike with the rest of the quality parts!

I'm pretty sure it'll ruin the ride too! such a shame.
  • Lewis A
    It's looking good, but trust me, those forks are dire. The complete lack of small bump response will have your hands screaming...
  • Jeffchiz
    The forks are there merely to bolt the bike together and get it useable safely, thats it... I dont know how many more times i can say this. they cost £56 ffs im not expecting anything good to come out of them lol its either that or have a pile of parts lying around because i cant afford better forks at the moment, ive jsut spent £700 on this, also got 2 car projects on the go with bills to pay the forks are as good as its gonna get for the short term

I put all the gearing on today and dropped it off at one of our shops so they can set it all up properly for me sorry i forgot to take pics!
  • njee20
    I'd have a pile of bits and wait until you could afford something worthwhile. As long as you're happy though.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For £56 you can get some pretty handy used forks, we have 2 sets of Manitous and a set of RS revs that all cost less than £60 and some Maguras that were £102 (all including delivery).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Jeffchiz
    The Rookie wrote:
    For £56 you can get some pretty handy used forks, we have 2 sets of Manitous and a set of RS revs that all cost less than £60 and some Maguras that were £102 (all including delivery).

Just sold my orange xc28's so the total cost of me buying the black xc28's is now a measly £32, i wanted the forks asap, i ordered them one day next day they were on my desk at work, no delivery charge, only wanted to build the bike up with new parts, didnt have to worry about the steer tube being too short for £32 im very happy :D

A pair of the silver DMR VAULT pedals came over for a web order from one of our shops with no packaging or spare studs or allan key basically nothing bar the pedals so we decided to not send them out in that state lol So this left them open for me to buy, it would've been too much hassle to list them on ebay or even transfer them back to a shop so I offered £50 and finally they said yea, rrp is £100, we sell them for £75 and my discounted price is £68-9 for them and in the end because of the missing items i got them for less than cost price of £53, very nice pair of pedals! unfortunately i cant afford them until pay day
    20140820_173312_zpshmxguy8i.jpg
    20140820_173322_zpsvsjzzmzk.jpg
  • Jeffchiz
    My bike was brought back to me today via the van driver on his rounds, its complete now bar that pesky missing grip, its payday tomorrow so ill pay for the pedals and forks and ill try and find some suitable grips so i can finally bring her home.

I weighed it today and it came in at 11.75kg or 26lbs. and should go down with the purchase of better forks. Think ive decided i want the shimano zee brakes mainly for shallow stupid reasons, like the idea of 4 pots, they look nice and they will match my gearing lol also i read the calipers are exactly the same as the saint calipers its just the levers that are different and i will have to sort out some better headset spacers probably get a hope space doctor in red, or just wait until i get better forks.

The green is so much more vibrant in real life the pics make it looked washed out

20140828_173121_zpsybivkcai.jpg
    20140828_173153_zpsgae7jhfb.jpg
    20140828_173207_zps5xrwflha.jpg
    20140828_173226_zpsnstvihxx.jpg
    20140828_173243_zps7ricaq9q.jpg
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Hope, Chris King and Thomson kit but XC28 forks - why?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Jeffchiz
    declan1 wrote:

have you read the thread or even my last post?
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Jeffchiz wrote:
    declan1 wrote:

have you read the thread or even my last post?

I hadn't, but why didn't you get some second hand forks as suggested above? They would be considerably better (as I have found out myself).

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Jeffchiz
    again i explained why i bought these forks, i didnt want second hand parts or have the trouble of a steer tube that was too short again considering how large the head tube is on this bike, i wanted them asap i ordered them direct form rockshox and they were on my desk the next working day without a delivery charge, it was just the easiest, cheapest least time consuming way of getting a set of forks and to top it off from selling my old ones and buying these they cost me a grand total of about £34

The forks will be the first thing i purchase then upgrade the brakes (if i do feel that these aren't up to the job), i wanted the bike built so i can get out and about asap and not have a pile of parts lying around were only talking a matter of a couple months, then ill probably still sell them on for more than i paid for them so im not loosing out
  • Lewis A
    Moving on from the forks thing, I really don't think you'll need zee brakes for a 100mm xc hardtail, unless your rather portly. They're designed for downhill. Bikes looking pretty nice though!
  • njee20
    The brakes you've got will be more than adequate, but Shimanos are just nicer to use than Avids IMO. I'd get XT or XTR rather than Zee myself on that bike. YMMV.
  • dirkpitt74
    dirkpitt74 Posts: 518
    That looks really nice.
    How much did it cost you in the end?
  • the bike has cost me £698.64 iirc however im going to have to purchase new grips as i still cant find my lost one, ive got a set of black and green cube lock on grips set aside at work for me along with a black cage and transparent/green camelbak podium chill bottle
  • Finally bought my lock on grips, cage and bottle i also got helmet which i think looks pretty awesome :) took it for its first ride around the block, i love it! so smooth, rear hub sounds awesome, pedals are nice and gripy, hopefully get out on it at the weekend for its first proper ride
    20140911_181100_zpsa4440e8f.jpg
    20140911_181106_zps43da40d2.jpg
    20140911_181114_zpsd507575f.jpg
    20140911_181130_zps13f2bf29.jpg
    20140911_181139_zps412af1e9.jpg
    20140911_181151_zps4999e00e.jpg
    20140911_181156_zpsf1caddcb.jpg

next purchases will be a lock and some lights
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    Jeffchiz wrote:
    the bike has cost me £698.64 iirc however im going to have to purchase new grips as i still cant find my lost one, ive got a set of black and green cube lock on grips set aside at work for me along with a black cage and transparent/green camelbak podium chill bottle
    that's an outrageous price!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I quite like that, the colours work nicely although I liked the brightness of the orange forks it has to be said. It was so hideous it looked good.

Couple of things though. There is no way you need Zee's on that bike. I'm no lightweight at over 100kg and I used Deore's with a 140mm rotor on the back and a 160mm on the front on my Kinesis (pretty similar bike to yours) and they were more than enough. I never once wished for more power and the smaller rotors gave great modulation, especially with the less grippy tyres. If you want flashy then get yourself some XTR's, the Trail's are a work of art in my eyes and have the best feeling lever blade I have ever used. They're not really any more powerful than the Deore's though and the newest Deore's are actually fairly light, there's less than 50g a brake between the XTR and Deore IIRC.

I wouldn't have put up the prices you paid. Some people can get pretty pissed at seeing cost prices and then go into bike shops and cause issues because of it. Fair enough say it's cheaper than cost or trade or whatever but don't put the actual prices. It's severely frowned upon on some other forums. You've got some proper bargains though.

I completely understand why you've got the cheap forks but if it was me I'd have bought some rigids for the same price. They're far lighter and riding rigid forks is damn good fun so even when you buy yourself a nice suspension fork you can still keep it and swap it on from time to time.
  • njee20
    If he wants to post what he paid of course he can. He could post up copies of trade price lists too if he wants, they're not secret. As is he has indeed paid far less than trade so it is completely irrelevant
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    njee20 wrote:
    If he wants to post what he paid of course he can. He could post up copies of trade price lists too if he wants, they're not secret. As is he has indeed paid far less than trade so it is completely irrelevant
    This, it's perks of the trade, everyone knows this, and anyone can go onto the distributer's website and find out what he paid anyway, it's not rocket science.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Typical mark ups are 25% at wholesale and 33% retail (all readily findable info), the fact that most shops operate an overall profit margin of circa 5-8% tells you that they are not exactly profiteering!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.