Why go commando in shorts?

124»

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I wear a pair of poly briefs under my cycling shorts. For reasons I've explained many times. I have no issues wearing them(i.e.seams, etc.) that a bit of balm or Vaseline on the offending seam part won't cure.

Quite right... and you can always sandpaper any particularly rough bits.

If ya take a good look at todays "sport" underwear you'll find more than a few brands that are almost seamless and what seams they do have are of no consequence. At least for me. I wear them because my left nut has a sore spot on it and old lefty won't tolerate any bouncing and bumping. Hence the extra support of underwear. Just trying to keep him out of the way and secure. I wouldn't wear them if things were "normal" but.....

PS In colder weather they do help out a bit.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    That's sorted then. You have to be a bit abnormal to want to wear pants under your bibs.

Solved.
  • dennisn
    CiB wrote:
    That's sorted then. You have to be a bit abnormal to want to wear pants under your bibs.

Solved.

That's one way to put it. :lol::lol:
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    markiegrim wrote:
    Just for clarity - I asked the question as I got practically verbally abused by my LBS staff when I let them know I wore pants. To be honest, I only wear them because it never occured to me not to (hey - I'm still quite new to this lark)

But, and I know its disgusting, but I dont intend washing my shorts after every single ride - so the pants will stay on

I'm going to go really against the grain and say that not only do I not always wash my bibs after every ride but I don't wear pants under them and I don't use a chamois cream... and I've had one saddle sore, ever and that was actually caused by the fact I commute without bibs (only ten minutes ride)
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    birdie23 wrote:
    markiegrim wrote:
    Just for clarity - I asked the question as I got practically verbally abused by my LBS staff when I let them know I wore pants. To be honest, I only wear them because it never occured to me not to (hey - I'm still quite new to this lark)

But, and I know its disgusting, but I dont intend washing my shorts after every single ride - so the pants will stay on

I'm going to go really against the grain and say that not only do I not always wash my bibs after every ride but I don't wear pants under them and I don't use a chamois cream... and I've had one saddle sore, ever and that was actually caused by the fact I commute without bibs (only ten minutes ride)
    I sometimes do the same. On long rides I sometimes use chamois cream but not for shorter ones. I do sometimes reuse shorts the next day but nit if I've used cream
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I wear boxers under my padded bibs because I want to keep them clean. And then I wear briefs under my boxers in order to keep my boxers clean. And then a G-string under my briefs for extra support. And then I wear baggies on the outside because I'm embarrassed by my manhood being visible - that and the multiple VPLs and bulge of underwear.

.... I do get issues with rashes and infections and my veg is well and truly boiled...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I wear boxers under my padded bibs because I want to keep them clean. And then I wear briefs under my boxers in order to keep my boxers clean. And then a G-string under my briefs for extra support. And then I wear baggies on the outside because I'm embarrassed by my manhood being visible - that and the multiple VPLs and bulge of underwear.

.... I do get issues with rashes and infections and my veg is well and truly boiled...

You need to pull on an extra large pair of bibs over your baggies, to complete the look... ;)
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    and make sure the ends of the legs and waist make a good seal so your veg are pressure steamed.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • dennisn wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:
    I wear a pair of poly briefs under my cycling shorts. For reasons I've explained many times. I have no issues wearing them(i.e.seams, etc.) that a bit of balm or Vaseline on the offending seam part won't cure.

If ya take a good look at todays "sport" underwear you'll find more than a few brands that are almost seamless and what seams they do have are of no consequence. At least for me. I wear them because my left nut has a sore spot on it and old lefty won't tolerate any bouncing and bumping. Hence the extra support of underwear. Just trying to keep him out of the way and secure. I wouldn't wear them if things were "normal" but.....

On a serious note if you have a problem with one of your balls that wont clear up then you need to be going to the G.P.
  • dennisn
    dennisn wrote:
    Dabber wrote:
    dennisn wrote:

On a serious note if you have a problem with one of your balls that wont clear up then you need to be going to the G.P.

As the saying goes "been there, done that". I have read that some feel that this problem can stem, years later, from having had a vasectomy. It's nothing I can't deal with and with no "cure" being offered by anyone I'm simply stuck with the job of keeping "lefty" from being bounced around too much. Hence the briefs under the shorts. works "a treat" as you might say. :wink:
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Throw it over your shoulder and "forgedabowdit".
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Not sure if serious....
  • ai_1
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Some of us require the extra support provided by underwear as a thin layer of lycra just isn't upto the job :mrgreen: . For long rides I wear speedos as they are seamless and don't hold moisture.

If you need extra support, then you bought the wrong size in the first place. Speedos, ffs...
    Doesn't matter what size they are, they just won't stop your manhood falling down the leg when out of the saddle.
    Perhaps you've got them on backwards or you're wearing them low...you know, hip hop style. Try pulling them on properly
  • birdie23
    birdie23 Posts: 457
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Some of us require the extra support provided by underwear as a thin layer of lycra just isn't upto the job :mrgreen: . For long rides I wear speedos as they are seamless and don't hold moisture.

If you need extra support, then you bought the wrong size in the first place. Speedos, ffs...
    Doesn't matter what size they are, they just won't stop your manhood falling down the leg when out of the saddle.

How baggy are your shorts!? If anything I've only had issues with my jewels being too tightly held when out of the saddle.
    2012 Cube Agree GTC
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    Don't forget that if you're wearing pants under bibs, the bib bit goes outside of your jersey

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • ai_1
    birdie23 wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:

How baggy are your shorts!? If anything I've only had issues with my jewels being too tightly held when out of the saddle.
    Likewise. It seems pretty clear to me that those who believe Bib shorts don't work correctly in this regard are basing that opinion on one or more of the following:
    1. They are putting their shorts on wrong....somehow
    2. They have only used very badly fitting shorts
    3. They always wear additional layers, are just trying to justify this and have not really tried wearing shorts as intended.
    4. They are physically unusual
    5. They are just trolling
    6. They are actually correct and bib shorts only work well for the vast majority of cyclists because item no. 4 above actually applies to all of us....seems a little unlikely!
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I've never had a problem, even with mtb baggies.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Zingzang
    Zingzang Posts: 196
    What no-one seems to have pointed out (apologies if they have) is that the pad in most shorts effectively is a pair of undies, the only difference being that they are sewn into your shorts rather than put on separately. So wearing lycra shorts (as long as they have a pad) and no undies never was "going commando" in the first place. Anyone that still thinks otherwise either has a problem with logic or has some kind of psychosexual complex.