While chatting to female cyclists?

LOL- if only.
  • Did this Sunday morning. It works!! No more Chaffage
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Lol at the people arguing for wearing underwear under cycling shorts...just no.
  • RDW
    RDW Posts: 1,900
    The funniest thing about this thread is how strongly some people feel about what other people do, or do not, wear under their shorts...
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    RDW wrote:
    The funniest thing about this thread is how strongly some people feel about what other people do, or do not, wear under their shorts...
    I doubt that's the point for most, it's not for me. I do, however, feel strongly about people talking illogical nonsense and expecting their opinions to be treated with the same respect as those with some rational basis!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Cycling shorts are designed to been worn with no underwear, so that's how they should be worn. I think the thread title should therefore be "Why NOT go commando in shorts?"

If the ride is short, adding an extra layer may cause little or no discomfort and the benefit of being able to wear the shorts again without washing is a benefit. But on a long ride there is significant potential chaffing (calculated my legs went up and down 50,000 times on Sunday) and the last thing you need is unnecessary friction or seams getting in the way on every pedal turn.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    RDW wrote:
    Human nature innit? Some of us know the whys & wherefores of doing it properly. Someone legitimately asked why; it's explained why, along come a few more to tell us that there's no need to do it right and that we're implicitly wrong to suggest otherwise. I couldn't give a ff whether someone wants to cycle around with his pants on in case he gets looked at in a funny way or whatever, but I don't really want that sort of person to give other newcomers the impression that wearing a pair of underpants with padded shorts is the right way. It hasn't got that much to do with chaffing or discomfort; it's more about doing it the right way.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,505
    It's not going commando - it's wearing cycling shorts.

Following the same logic, do you also insist on wearing underwear beneath your underwear?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Singleton wrote:
    It's not going commando - it's wearing cycling shorts.

Following the same logic, do you also insist on wearing underwear beneath your underwear?

Groundhog thread.........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,584
    RDW wrote:

they can wear venezuelan beaver thongs under their shorts for all i care, that's not the issue

the issue is that they insist in public that they're right in doing so

private idiocy is ok

flaunted idiocy must always be stamped on, hard, otherwise it expands to swamp the truth
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    sungod wrote:
    RDW wrote:

they can wear venezuelan beaver thongs under their shorts for all i care, that's not the issue

the issue is that they insist in public that they're right in doing so

private idiocy is ok

flaunted idiocy must always be stamped on, hard, otherwise it expands to swamp the truth

^^ this.
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    So OK...that was an interesting debate that I did not really expect to kick-off like it did
    I am now officially pantless
    Markie
  • ai_1
    markiegrim wrote:
    So OK...that was an interesting debate that I did not really expect to kick-off like it did
    I am now officially pantless
    Markie
    Yeah, That escalated pretty fast
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    RDW wrote:

+1

And as an aside. If the op had posted this thread on the C.T.C forum, there would have been a more balanced discussion, in every sense, with out the name calling.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • imposter2.0
    exlaser wrote:
    RDW wrote:

+1

And as an aside. If the op had posted this thread on the C.T.C forum, there would have been a more balanced discussion, in every sense, with out the name calling.

You mean more CTCers are likely to wear pants under their lycra? Doesn't make them correct..
  • exlaser
    exlaser Posts: 264
    Just read the threads.

Not everybody goes for a thirty mile ride, throws all their cycling clothes in the wash basket for their wife/partner to wash for them and goes to work thinking their a tour de france winner.

Some people over their ride 80 miles, camp, ride another 80 miles, camp again and again and again. Try telling them they have to wash and get dry their cycling shorts every day.
    Van Nicholas Ventus
    Rose Xeon RS
  • imposter2.0
    exlaser wrote:
    Just read the threads.

Not everybody goes for a thirty mile ride, throws all their cycling clothes in the wash basket for their wife/partner to wash for them and goes to work thinking their a tour de france winner.

Some people over their ride 80 miles, camp, ride another 80 miles, camp again and again and again. Try telling them they have to wash and get dry their cycling shorts every day.

They don't have to, obviously. Some people actually have more than one pair of shorts.
  • imposter2.0
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Some of us require the extra support provided by underwear as a thin layer of lycra just isn't upto the job :mrgreen: . For long rides I wear speedos as they are seamless and don't hold moisture.

If you need extra support, then you bought the wrong size in the first place. Speedos, ffs...
  • ai_1
    Imposter wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Some of us require the extra support provided by underwear as a thin layer of lycra just isn't upto the job :mrgreen: . For long rides I wear speedos as they are seamless and don't hold moisture.

If you need extra support, then you bought the wrong size in the first place. Speedos, ffs...
    As much as I hate to agree with you :wink: You are correct.

If you need or want additional layers for reasons of warmth or self-conciousness then put them over the shorts, not under them. They work best on their own, but you can get away with outer layers if you must.
    exlaser wrote:
    Just read the threads.

Not everybody goes for a thirty mile ride, throws all their cycling clothes in the wash basket for their wife/partner to wash for them and goes to work thinking their a tour de france winner....
    This has nothing to do with anything.
    Something really confuses me about the argument made repeatedly here that underwear saves you washing the shorts as often. How does wearing underwear negate the need to wash your shorts? I get this for normal trousers but not when we're talking about tight fitting sportswear. Do you not sweat when you cycle? Does your sweat not penetrate your underwear?
    I usually wear my shorts once and then wash but I have on occassion re-worn cycling shorts the following day (but not if I'd done a very long or very high intensity ride or if I'd used chamois cream). If I wore something under them, I can't see how this would change. Can you explain?

To be blunt, the pro underwear contributors haven't made any arguments I find credible and are clearly just trying to create reasonable justifications for behaviour that is based on habit, not reason. Wear underwear if you like but stop pretending there's a good reason for it unless you can actually provide one.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,847
    Can't believe this is till going!

There is a simple answer. For those who wear underpants try a decent ride without pants and see how it feels.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Navrig2 wrote:
    Can't believe this is till going!

There is a simple answer. For those who wear underpants try a decent ride without pants and see how it feels.

That.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • schlepcycling
    schlepcycling Posts: 1,614
    Imposter wrote:
    cyd190468 wrote:

^This
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    exlaser wrote:
    Just read the threads.

That's exactly what my wife and I do. Take 3 pairs of shorts, one on, one drying, one spare. Most of the touring blogs recommend this.

For the space and weight versus the comfort, it's mistake on our part if we don't.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,099
    If you do wear pants under shorts, remember that the pad goes on the outside if you've something on underneath.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    What convinced me *warning not for the faint hearted* was having post ride pants that could be wrung out!!! i really don't want that level of dampness down there!

With proper shorts/bibs this just doesn't happen, and as i have a few pairs just one or two washes a week is needed.
  • lm_trek
    lm_trek Posts: 1,470
    When I mountain bike, its briefs, padded short then outer short. Tried this option road biking for a while and until the recent warm period of weather it was all good. Out on a ride popped for a pee break and noticed the wringing out of the underpants, said pants then went promptly in the bin!

I've tried 3/4 bibs in the winter great summer too warm, raphe boxers ok for short trips but no good longer rides, tried just the padded shorts and tbh everything is a bit loose! ordered today some DHB bibs hoping that will solve my longer ride issues!
  • exlaser wrote:
    Just read the threads.

No, many of us do a 5 minute hand wash and rinse and leave them on the radiator to dry for next evening's ride
    I want to climb hills so badly;
    and I climb hills so badly
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I wear a pair of poly briefs under my cycling shorts. For reasons I've explained many times. I have no issues wearing them(i.e.seams, etc.) that a bit of balm or Vaseline on the offending seam part won't cure.
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,928
    dennisn wrote:
    I wear a pair of poly briefs under my cycling shorts. For reasons I've explained many times. I have no issues wearing them(i.e.seams, etc.) that a bit of balm or Vaseline on the offending seam part won't cure.

Quite right... and you can always sandpaper any particularly rough bits.
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut