Why go commando in shorts?

markiegrim
markiegrim Posts: 136
edited July 2014 in Road beginners
I don't get it. Why is it a must not to wear undies with cycling shorts?

Comments

• bikes`n`guns
    bikes`n`guns Posts: 959
    You really need to ask ??

How are pads designed to work ?

Layers = rubbing
    Trek,,,, too cool for school ,, apparently
  • and seams in the wrong place.
    Under an hour it isn't an issue but longer rides are pretty uncomfortable.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've done 100Km rides with underwear under the shorts but it's much more comfortable commando. Some chamois cream really helps with a long day in the saddle as well.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    I know of no man that wears underwear

However I do not of several girls who insist on it..?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • bigaac
    bigaac Posts: 72
    markiegrim wrote:
    I don't get it. Why is it a must not to wear undies with cycling shorts?

so you don't get sand in your vagina :D
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    ddraver wrote:

This.

Very strange as I'm sure there are plenty of girls who choose to go out for a night on the town 'sans knickers' :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    Because pant get stuck up your bum crack.

I discovered this quite quickly when I migrated to lycra.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    I understand all the reasons people give to support this, but its not for me I'm afraid. Until I actually experience the discomfort people say I will, there'll be no going commando for me.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • markiegrim
    markiegrim Posts: 136
    Schoie81 wrote:
    I understand all the reasons people give to support this, but its not for me I'm afraid. Until I actually experience the discomfort people say I will, there'll be no going commando for me.

Right Schoie, my thoughts exactly - I've experienced none of the above hence my original question - must be an issue for some though
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    My word - I am not alone! I still dont understand - all these problems people have can surely only be due to poorly made,ill fitting or the wrong type of pants. We all walk around all day in them and they dont cause problems...

Seems to me that going without pants causes more problems as they have invented a special cream to deal with them that I have never needed on 100+ mile rides with pants on.

My pants protect from skin on skin friction between groin and top of leg - an area that bibshorts and their pads to not sit, unless you use the new £300 Assos ones. It makes me laugh that this 'new' invention they have is just doing what pants always did for the rest of the world other than cyclists!

"Another effective invention in the S7 shorts is the length of the pad. It stretches up further toward the front of the rider’s body and curves all the way around the sensitive region like a cup to protect from friction.
    Read more at http://triathlete-europe.competitor.com ... YUMRcOR.99"
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    ddraver wrote:

And yet I bet almost all of those girls wouldn't dream of wearing undies under their swimming cossies!

Incidentally, I get that some people don't have any problems wearing underwear under their shorts - so that's a useful non negative. But what is the actual benefit of wearing underwear under the shorts? Why actively choose to do something that at best doesn't make things worse?
    Faster than a tent.......
  • apreading
    Rolf F wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

And yet I bet almost all of those girls wouldn't dream of wearing undies under their swimming cossies!

Incidentally, I get that some people don't have any problems wearing underwear under their shorts - so that's a useful non negative. But what is the actual benefit of wearing underwear under the shorts? Why actively choose to do something that at best doesn't make things worse?

Because they curve all the way around the sensitive region like a cup to protect from friction...

Because they allow you to wear your bibshorts more than once on some occasions (commuting for example)

Because they can be washed at a higher temp than bibshorts
  • ai_1
    ai_1 Posts: 3,060
    Rolf F wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

My thoughts exactly

I don't get the resistance to wearing the most suitable clothing.
    Even the suggestion that you're "going commando" seems to imply you're doing something unusual or adventurous. You're not - you're just using the shorts as they're meant to be worn.

Normal clothing has exposed seams, zips and pockets and you probably wear your jeans/trousers on consecutive days before washing them. Therefore you wear underwear. It a practical and comfortable solution. These reasons don't apply to cycling shorts. They are designed to be worn next to the skin and the seams, padding, fit and moisture transfer are tailored to that purpose. You can wear underwear but why on earth would you? It just detracts from the functioning of the shorts.

Out of curiousity, if you run, play soccer or any other sports, do you also wear underwear with those shorts and if so what are they made of? I generally wear cotton or cotton blend stuff which is great for day to day use but I wouldn't dream of doing sports in them. Cotton + sweat = chafing and general discomfort. On the other hand lycra shorts similar to cycling shorts but without the pad are ideal for most sports either on their own or more often as an underwear layer. If you want a second layer on the bike I'd suggest putting your pants on OVER your cycling shorts rather than under them, it'll work better. However you will look rather silly.
  • johnny25
    johnny25 Posts: 344
    It appears to be a psychological issue with some people. I guess they feel 'naked' or 'embarrassed' not wearing pants under lycra.

I did wear pants when I started and as mentioned after 3 hours in the saddle, my pants were soggy with sweat and riding up my arse all the time. Never ever again.

I suppose if you're just popping out for a leisurely hour spin without too much effort, then pants won't be an issue.

Incidentally, I always wash bib short after a ride, no matter how long or short the ride was. Even if I was a pant person, I'd still wash them.
  • Schoie81
    Schoie81 Posts: 749
    Yes johnny - 99% certain its simply a self-conscious thing with me. Someone mentioned swimming above - which is of course true but a) I hate swimming, and so go in a swimming pool as rarely as I possibly can and b) when I go in a swimming pool, everyone else there is in the same boat ('scuse the pun) in terms of their clothing, and for most of the time, they can't see anything but my head because the rest of me is under the water. When I'm on the bike, I come into contact with people, the vast majority of whom are fully clothed in everyday clothing and the minority of whom are dressed in a similar manner to me.

It is probably a completely irrational feeling to have, but as I say, until I actually experience a problem wearing underwear with my shorts (and admittedly many people will ride for longer than I do - my longest ride to date being a shade under three hours) I'm just happier wearing both.
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • kfm2773
    kfm2773 Posts: 19
    VPL
  • apreading
    Most swimming trunks/shorts (other than speedos or womens stuff which are themselves shaped to cup your private area) have a liner inside, which does the same job as pants i.e to cup your private area and reduce chafing. For more baggy swimwear they also do the job of stopping loose body parts from swinging around.
  • jezzpalmer
    jezzpalmer Posts: 389
    People wear pants under bibshorts?
    This is madness.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    apreading wrote:
    Most swimming trunks/shorts (other than speedos or womens stuff which are themselves shaped to cup your private area) have a liner inside, which does the same job as pants i.e to cup your private area and reduce chafing. For more baggy swimwear they also do the job of stopping loose body parts from swinging around.

But why are you comparing cycling kit with baggy swimming costumes? Surely, the correct analogy to our shorts is with speedos or womens stuff and who wears underwear under those?

As for the baggy swim shorts - do you wear underwear under the liner? The liner is serving the same purpose as the bibshorts - not a superfluous layer underneath them.

This is all a bit wierd!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • apreading
    No - others were comparing cycling kit with swimwear. I only included baggy swimming costumes for completeness, so as to avoid some pedant saying that what I has stated wasnt correct for all swimwear.

Speedos or womens stuff is not a good comparison - because AS I SAID they are shaped to cup the private areas - swimming shorts/trunks/jammers/whatever are not, neither are cycling shorts. that is why swimming short/trunks/jammers generally have a liner that does cup this area and reduce skin on skin chafing in the crease. That is why Assos have added a special cup in their new, 'innovative' £300 shorts.

Did you not actually read any of my posts on this topic apart from the brief mention of something off topic that you wanted to play up as something it really wasnt?
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    Well at least Boots and Semi-chem will see an increase in scrot rot creams. Cotton kegs under bibs means the cottom material gets hot and sweaty creating a wonder environment for various fungal bugs to breed. Add in a sore created by a seam pressure and you have the perfect storm for some real scrot rot/jock itch etc.

Bibs obviously get sweaty but they are designed to be better at wicking away moisture without the cotton of your kegs.

Given the science and design why would you chose to wear kegs?
  • apreading
    Yes, bibs are so much better at avoiding scrot rot that you have to invent a special cream to treat/avoid it...

I use both cotton mix and lycra pants (the latter being 'sport' pants sold by M&S) and have yet to suffer such a problem despits 9+ hour rides some days and doing this every day for a week on tour in hot countries.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Must be right then mustn't you. I mean why would the pros do it different?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ManOfKent
    ManOfKent Posts: 392
    apreading wrote:
    Because they curve all the way around the sensitive region like a cup to protect from friction...
    So do my bibshorts, I think. The only areas I get any friction trouble are areas that no pants I've seen would protect.
    Because they allow you to wear your bibshorts more than once on some occasions (commuting for example)
    Do you change the pants each time, or wear them again?
    Personally when commuting I do put the same shorts on in the evening that I wore in the morning, unless I happen to have a clean pair in the office. It's not ideal but I've never had a problem from it.
    Because they can be washed at a higher temp than bibshorts
    How hot a temperature do they need to be washed?! I never put my clothes on anything above 30 anyway, which coincidentally is the same temperature I use for my kit.
  • dav1d1
    dav1d1 Posts: 653
    Because the faster you go down hill the more breeze you get thought your bib shorts around your private regions and it feels good! I could imagin wearing boxer shorts under bib shorts, would feel uncomfortable, at first I was a bit worried going commando but once I tried it, with some assos cream I wouldn't go back, and also the pros do it so surely that's the reason to do it,
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    How many hours do you guys who wear pants under padded shorts ride per week?

If your a regular rider doing 2-3 hours a day, 4 or more days a week you'll soon be suffering from pretty bad saddle sores.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Pant wearer here. 16 to 18 hours and 6 rides per week and nothing has dropped off yet. I know the logic but just prefer it
  • jotko
    jotko Posts: 457
    I wear mine over the top of my bib shorts - best of both worlds

1386051775_1387910633.jpg

Seriously though, have the non-commando people ever actually done it? You will never go back....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Cream isn't a necessary addition to the armoury; people will claim all day long that it is but apart from trying it once a few years ago I've never found it necessary for any rides - longest to date being 125 mls on the Dunwich Dynamo + a bit of mooching around waiting for my lift home. Use it if you want, but it's not vital.

Pants tho? Why would you? Shorts are designed to contain, support and protect. They do it brilliantly, and for all the times I've strolled into work in them no-one has ever pointed at my gentleman's vegetable area, or even raised a comment. I expect some do [women, probbly] but who cares? I expect us chaps might occasionally notice a nice cleavage or a decent pair of pins, but gawping, pointing & shouting 'gordon bennet look at that lot' isn't part of the noticing. Worrying about being looked at is an odd reason for not wearing shorts without pants, esp as they don't actually make the slightest difference to the overall appearance. First pair I ever owned, I checked in the shop - no pants right? Never have, never would. Just can't see a reason why.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    TBH, who cares ... as long as you're comfortable it doesn't matter a jot ..

I know those who do, those who have and now don't and those who don't at all ...

If you're uncomfortable then something has to change - if you're not, then it doesn't.
    Cream is an optional extra - some like to use it, some don't, some (like me) occasionally use it.

The only right answer is comfort ...