Tandems

Comments

• Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Slowbike wrote:
    Oh ... :(

What do you class as Middle-aged ... ?

Don't forget the Felt is a CX bike as well... I was coming off a 100Km run out though. (and mid 40s and up)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Rolf F wrote:
    You won't be surprised to know that the three gents on the trandem doing the Etape de Yorkshire on Sunday always seem to be getting a cheer! Would have loved to have seen them cresting Buttertubs!

Someone got a photo:

goodies.jpg

They don't half look happy.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    SecretSam wrote:
    I've always felt sorry for the poor s0d on the back, who gets all the downsides of cycling and none of the ups, plus has to stare at someone's ar53 all day...

Nonsense (other than on TT or racing tandems - but that is more staring at someone's back all day).

Person on the back can look around, take photos and enjoy cycling without having to think about stuff like steering and so on. Read maps, make sandwiches, do all sorts.

The only hassle my wife has after a long tandem tour is when she gets back on her solo to ride to work and forgets that she now has to steer and brake! She says it is very unnerving when you get on a solo, and the handlebars move!

Seriously, as I said before, best fun on two wheels!
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Stop this thread immediately, it's starting to make me think i need a tandem in the collection. Maybe i do need a tandem? :?

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    How the hell did that happen....I've just bought one! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D:D:D
  • essex-commuter
    Here she is!

• marcusjb
    Cracking stuff!

Enjoy it.
  • SecretSam wrote:
    I've always felt sorry for the poor s0d on the back, who gets all the downsides of cycling and none of the ups, plus has to stare at someone's ar53 all day...

See earlier, the bit about Romero and Cracknell. :mrgreen:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Be careful with older steel framed Tandems, you can't ride out the saddle as the frame will flex and whip and try and throw you off.....my friend had that issue then bought a modern alloy framed one and it was fine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've ridden out of the saddle on my steel Peugeot tandem. It's fine. It is a bit "whippy", but its a bike, not a horse!

Congrats Essex Commuter - nice to see so many tandemists on here!
  • boblo
    boblo Posts: 360
    Tandems you say? Oh yes:

2008_08310042.jpg

That's on the way from Norway to Greece... My wife managed imperial century with 6 weeks of getting our first and she was a non cyclist at the time... Good fun. Get one, now ☺
  • htsw5
    htsw5 Posts: 72
    14247601259_566d6784c0.jpg

Do I get bonus points for communting on mine?

I've been taking my 2 kids to nursery on it for the last 2 years. Great fun and certainly builds up the muscles...

It's a Circe Helios and the stoker's seat post is telescopic so will fit both a small child and an adult.

My youngest is about to outgrow the childseat so we will be adding a tagalong on the back.
  • Koncordski
    mroli wrote:
    I've ridden out of the saddle on my steel Peugeot tandem. It's fine. It is a bit "whippy", but its a bike, not a horse!

Congrats Essex Commuter - nice to see so many tandemists on here!

Might need some help, I just picked up a project for the winter off ebay. :?

$_57.JPG

Damn this forum! :roll:

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • essex-commuter
    Picked mine up today from Worthing...it was as described. What a lovely bike.

Me and the Mrs went round the block on it when we got home...we stayed upright and I haven't filed for divorce. It rode like an absolute dream, I love it, love it, love it.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    been told NO..... :cry:
  • boblo
    Yeah but no doesn't always mean no does it?
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    boblo wrote:
    Yeah but no doesn't always mean no does it?

difficult to hide though, most other things (wheels, chainsets, etc) can be hidden or explained away without too much difficulty but a tandem....
  • boblo
    'This old thing? It's only a cheap one to see how we get on. It can't be very expensive dear, its only a bicycle after all.....' There now, chop chop ☺
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I just thought it'd be really nice for us to do something together - its a way of spending more time with each other: :D
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Just do it. I have. Now the owner of a Peugeot tandem... :shock:
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • essex-commuter
    Oh dear, what have I started!!

It'll be joint ownership soon and sharing a commute to work! One way of easing congestion :lol:
  • Koncordski
    MrSweary wrote:

Ooh, which one?

#3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
  • MrSweary
    Koncordski wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:

Ooh, which one?

The one on the ebay link earlier. Went to see it at the weekend. Good nick and surprisingly light. Wife may need a dose of MTFU for any hills. Paid more than we wanted to but we sort of fell in love with it.

She has already reminded me that a Rear Admiral outranks a Captain. I've reminded her that I control the steering and gears... :D
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    MrSweary wrote:
    I've reminded her that I control the steering and gears... :D
    So your just the engineer whilst she is the captain then?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • MrSweary
    The Rookie wrote:
    MrSweary wrote:
    I've reminded her that I control the steering and gears... :D
    So your just the engineer whilst she is the captain then?

Well, according to the accepted terminology I'm the captain and she is the stoker, RA (Rear Admiral) or navigator - she chose RA perhaps understandibly. We're married - I know my place.
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
  • marcusjb
    Golden rule of tandem riding - the stoker is always right.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,692
    gbsahne wrote:
    been told NO..... :cry:
    I'm working on the Mrs, I've suggested it a few times. I don't think I'll convince her though.