Tandems

essex-commuter
essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
edited June 2014 in Commuting chat
Out of interest...anyone on here own a tandem?

Comments

• mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Oh yes - will be riding it in the Ride London this year with my wife. Classic Peugeot tandem - ladyback and just had it "re-done":
    14366056715_50e156bcdd.jpg
    Have taken it to Lands End on the train and ridden it around Cornwall, have ridden it London to Bristol fully loaded with camping gear and have pootled happily around Normandy/Brittany on it.

Lovely fun - nice to be able to talk whilst you ride too.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    Funnily enough, I have a question about Tandems that I was pondering on the way to work this morning.

Can either the stoker or the pilot freewheel? both, one or or is it like riding fixed?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • essex-commuter
    Really feeling the need to own one! That looks exactly what I'm thinking I want.

Wife has never ridden one, I've raced on them before. Wondering if it might be better to try and hire one first somewhere to see if she likes it.
  • essex-commuter
    rubertoe wrote:
    Funnily enough, I have a question about Tandems that I was pondering on the way to work this morning.

Can either the stoker or the pilot freewheel? both, one or or is it like riding fixed?

Whatever one does the other has to do the same.
  • mroli
    Yep - you're linked in to whatever the other person does (although you can buy bikes that have independent chainrings, but they are rarer). Its not like riding fixed, but the stoker (ie the one at the back) is guided by the gearing chosen by the person at the front - I like to tell the wife when I'm changing gear!

I think it is definitely worth hiring a tandem (or borrowing one?) before getting one - it takes a little bit of trust and a bit of getting used to it. My wife loves it though - she just looks around and enjoys the scenery whilst I get on with the steering and worrying about traffic.

You get a nice response (generally) on tandems - lots of "oi, tandem" and "She's not pedalling mate" and people wanting to talk to you about them.

The Peugeot tandems are great - a bit "whippy" and not uber stiff and can be a prone to the odd bit of rust. We have spent an inordinate amount doing it up because of all the memories we have on the bike and changed it from its old "classic" high 2x6 speed gearing to a triple and 8 speed (keeping the down tube shifters), getting the old steel rimmed wheels changed and changing the old scratchy drum brake on it. We could have kept it all original though and just looked after it more - but its our present to ourselves.

A lovely looking one here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peugeot-racing-bike-tandem-12-speed-very-nice-condition-1990-s-bike-/231252862368?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item35d7bea5a0

We paid £120 for ours quite a few years ago off of ebay and it needed quite a lot of tlc.

This guy is a good resource: http://www.peugeottandem.com/

Moving it round can be a bit tricky, but you can get decent bike carriers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Avenir-Roof-Mounted-Tandem-Bike-Cycle-Carrier-/330992217131?pt=UK_Sports_Leisure_Cycling_Bags_Panniers_SR&hash=item4d10ac6c2b

Although getting it on the car takes some muscle!!!
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    or this if you're willing to spend road-bike money
    http://www.dolan-bikes.com/tandem/dolan-tandem-road-bike.html

I hanker after one
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Does that count as a 2N btw for the veritable stable you have?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Would love to get the Mrs on a tandem, alas with a little one due in September it might have to wait quite a long time.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Problem is my wife would only ride on the front - so I'm busy powering along and she's applying the brakes! :(
  • mroli
    You could get a brake attached on the back - our tandem has 2 rim canti brakes and a hub brake - but I think it makes more sense for the Captain to apply brakes!

When Cracknell and Romero tried to break the LEJOG record, Romero was the Captain, so it certainly does not have to be the man up front.

MM - doesn't count as N2 for the purposes of the stable. Whilst my N is controlled, I like to think of this as neutral for N purposes (half mine, half the wife's)!!!!
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Generally better to get the heavier rider up front. Much easier on the steering and balance.
    I suspect Romero as a gold medal cyclist was the pilot due to her superior riding skills, rather than her size / status.

We have a great Dawes mtb tandem we've had for years. It takes a wee while for the stoker to get used to the sensation of not being in control, but once that's mastered then it's plain sailing.
    They are great for matching disparate abilities and generating conversation.
    Nowadays my children are the stokers - they can fit on the back from about 9 years of age (depending on inside leg length). It's great for teaching them road craft and for encouraging / broadening their horizons.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mroli wrote:
    You get a nice response (generally) on tandems - lots of "oi, tandem" and "She's not pedalling mate" and people wanting to talk to you about them

You won't be surprised to know that the three gents on the trandem doing the Etape de Yorkshire on Sunday always seem to be getting a cheer! Would have loved to have seen them cresting Buttertubs!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Everyone loves a tandem. You need to be comfortable with being the centre of attention if you ride one, they do fascinate people, cyclists and non-cyclists alike.

But they are the best fun you can have on two wheels.

Mroli, we are also doing the ride london on ours this year - going to be an experience!

New tandem (if you have a look in classifieds, our old Landescape is listed for sale).

14265765552_c47785802f_c.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A Friend has a modern Cannondale tandem, disc brakes front and rear with also a rear rim v-brake operated by the stoker, he has logged over 50mph a few times on GPS downhills (hence why he upgraded the rear rim brake to XTR from the original cheapy), he has a single wheel trailer to reduce the load on the rear wheel now as they were carrying about 75Kg.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mroli
    marcusjb wrote:
    Mroli, we are also doing the ride london on ours this year - going to be an experience!
    14265765552_c47785802f_c.jpg
    Awesome!!! Look forward to seeing you in a blur as you pass us!!!

Ooo - nice Landescape you're selling: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=12967413&p=18886525&hilit=tandem#p18886525
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    edited June 2014
    Yes I have one - they are great fun plus combines your effort if one of you is a stronger cyclist that the other, plus the easiest way to chat on bikes. Done london to brighton with the Mrs on it as well as numerous pub run type rides. All 3 kids have been on the back at one time or another to varying degrees, it used to be the transport of choice for picking up and dropping off at kids birthday parties.

Our is just a cheapo viking one, but I did spend £100+ upgrading the brakes to decent Avid BB7 disks. You are generally faster on flats and downhills than on a solo bike, but slower uphills as its hard to combine the timing of efforts uphill - it tends to be a change down early and spin up technique.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • essex-commuter
    OK, I want one.
  • t4tomo
    entry level:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Leisure-Outlet/Tandem-/_i.html?_fsub=908144018

but if I was buying again or when I next upgrade I'd be very tempted with a Circe Helios, for adaptability storage ease and transportability. Not cheap though.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    edited June 2014
    Got to admit the biggest smile I got from seeing other cyclists was when I overtook a couple on a recumbent tandem. I'd never seen one before, it looked very comfortable!
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • slowbike
    Got to admit the biggest smile I got from seeing other cyclists was when I was overtook a couple on a recumbent tandem. I'd never seen one before, it looked very comfortable!

Erm ... they weren't parked up in a layby having a snooze or brewing a cuppa were they?

Just wondering .... you overtaking n all that ... ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Slowbike wrote:
    Got to admit the biggest smile I got from seeing other cyclists was when I was overtook a couple on a recumbent tandem. I'd never seen one before, it looked very comfortable!

Erm ... they weren't parked up in a layby having a snooze or brewing a cuppa were they?

I was in my car :P
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Kieran_Burns
    edited June 2014
    and I'll have you know I have overtaken a tandem in the past. Just once and it damn near broke me, but I did.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:

I was in my car :P

:D
  • slowbike
    and I'll you know I have overtaken a tandem in the past. Just once and it damn near broke me, but I did.

Go on, admit it, they were pensioners .... ;):lol:
  • t4tomo
    and I'll you know I have overtaken a tandem in the past. Just once and it damn near broke me, but I did.

yes its very easy to scalp /embarress full on roadies whilst on a tandem on the flat , let alone cape wearing CX deviants :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • slowbike
    t4tomo wrote:

yes its very easy to scalp /embarress full on roadies whilst on a tandem on the flat , let alone cape wearing CX deviants :D
    If it was on the Tricross it's not a real CX ... it just pretends to be ... so that's better isn't it?

Please say yes because it'll make me feel better about riding mine ... ;)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Slowbike wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

If it was on the Tricross it's not a real CX ... it just pretends to be ... so that's better isn't it?

I was on the Felt at the time, and they were a middle-aged couple, so nuh.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • slowbike
    Slowbike wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:

I was on the Felt at the time, and they were a middle-aged couple, so nuh.

Oh ... :(

What do you class as Middle-aged ... ?
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've always felt sorry for the poor s0d on the back, who gets all the downsides of cycling and none of the ups, plus has to stare at someone's ar53 all day...

It's just a hill. Get over it.