• Toks
    Toks Posts: 1,143
    Phenomenal!!!!!
  • ribbo
    ribbo Posts: 35
    Yates 8th :D
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    Yates in 8th. Got to be a certainty for the Tour now.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Turfle wrote:
    Yates up there in the top 10 I think.

8th! Great ride from Kelderman too
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,401
    Adam Yates in 8th!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I have shaky hands.
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Jurgen Van Den Broeck with a point to prove as well.

So does Froome need a team to drag him to the line...?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Fair play to Talansky and Kelderman there - they put it in. Well done to Contador for keeping to Froome's wheel, but he didn't (couldn't) put his front wheel in front of Froome's at any point up that climb. Shows Contador is on great form, but Froome is the superior rider (on today's stage)....
  • above_the_cows
    Turfle wrote:
    I have shaky hands.

I get that too with an adrenalin rush.
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,411
    Yates in 9th, 1.30ish down. Good ride.

Froome & Contador looking very well matched, could be some good racing ahead :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    good to see a grimace on Contador's face.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 20,734
    Nibali 27s back - not looking good for him.

Those cobbles could decide the tour if Froome and Contador are this close.
  • FoldingJoe
    FoldingJoe Posts: 1,327
    ThomThom wrote:
    I need a gif of Froome's wobbling legs asap. That looked hilarious.

That was funny. Looked like he needs more Vitamin D and Calcium in his diet. :)
    Little boy to Obama: "My Dad says that you read all our emails"
    Obama to little boy: "He's not your real Dad"

Kona Honky Tonk for sale: http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40090&t=13000807
  • ddraver
    David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST
    Yates' brothers decision not to join Sky has been fully vindicated. More opportunity riding in Orica.

Yup...
    - @ddraver
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,043
    Froome on French TV: "we're all close to our Tour fitness. I tried to drop Contador, but he was too strong, its great that we are both on form this time, it was psychologically important for me to win"
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • ddraver
    Is...erm...David Harmon doing the Queen's Tennis?
    - @ddraver
  • inseine
    TheBigBean wrote:

Though Froome looks a bit better everywhere, which is all he needs.
  • kerry-man
    kerry-man Posts: 20
    Froome's mountain climbing is more unbelievable than Lance's……several long flat out sprints, closed down every attack and still had the legs to win….
    Every time in the past when it seems too good to be true….
    That reminded me of Rasmussen and Contador sprinting up mountains in 2007.
  • TheBigBean
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Yes, but if either loses two mins on the cobbles that is likely to be deciding factor. Obviously, a long way to go and Froome could yet take mins in the mountains.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Stop the wheel sucking bullsH%%. I doubt anyone here could suck the wheel of the guy finishing last never mind trying to keep with Froome. Go ride a few mountains instead of sitting on your fat ar%e and making stupid remarks and see how you get on. Idiots.

On this showing Froome looked very strong and in my view Contador did awesome to stay with him. I have to say this and it will make FF cry but Froome looks to good on that performance. One thing about Contador is that he does get better so things could yet turn around. Very disappointed in Nib's. He never has been able to compete with climbers at the highest level and he has been found out again. I really thought he would step up.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    kerry-man wrote:
    Froome's mountain climbing is more unbelievable than Lance's……several long flat out sprints, closed down every attack and still had the legs to win….

Thanks for that. If there's more of the same, this is the place for it.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    edited June 2014
    Pipe down you're making yourself look stupid, tunedskyline
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Stop the wheel sucking bullsH%%. I doubt anyone here could suck the wheel of the guy finishing last never mind trying to keep with Froome. Go ride a few mountains instead of sitting on your fat ar%e and making stupid remarks and see how you get on. Idiots.
    No no, don't bottle things up. Tell us how you really feel!

:lol:
  • inseine
    TheBigBean wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

Yes, but if either loses two mins on the cobbles that is likely to be deciding factor. Obviously, a long way to go and Froome could yet take mins in the mountains.

True. I don't know if the cobbles are being over-hyped. Outside of a crash (which can happen anywhere) I'm not sure they'll be decisive, though I'd be happy to be wrong!
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Great stuff from the GC boys.

More angry letters for Nibs though.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,176
    edited June 2014
    kerry-man wrote:
    Yet when he wasn't accelerating, several other riders caught back up again. When Rasmussen & Contador were going fas/slow in 2007, they kept extending their lead throughout. It was also stage 16 of the Tour, not stage 2 of the Dauphine.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    Delete!

Why does my computer post stuff twice? :oops:
  • feltkuota
    feltkuota Posts: 333

On this showing Froome looked very strong and in my view Contador did awesome to stay with him. I have to say this and it will make FF cry but Froome looks to good on that performance. One thing about Contador is that he does get better so things could yet turn around. Very disappointed in Nib's. He never has been able to compete with climbers at the highest level and he has been found out again. I really thought he would step up.

Jeez, you sound angry.. Having a bad day?
  • above_the_cows

Who mentioned wheelsucking? :?

Now as to dissecting the stage from a larger perspective than the Froome/Contador-off...

What happened to either of their teams?

Contador was left alone very early and then Froome only had Nieve, with Porte dropping off before Thomas. Will be keeping a beady eye on Porte this race, his form still seems bobbins.

Great ride by Kelderman. Van Den Broeck pulling something out the bag in the 11th hour. Poor Mr Nibbles. You can't hide in a spotty jersey and turquoise shorts. Kwiatkowski not there.

Was the speed put on by Sky at the bottom of the climb really that immense?

It will be interesting to see what happens in the high-mountains.
  • TheBigBean
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    TheBigBean wrote:

True. I don't know if the cobbles are being over-hyped. Outside of a crash (which can happen anywhere) I'm not sure they'll be decisive, though I'd be happy to be wrong!

Probably not the best place for this discussion, but in 2010 the gaps were quite large

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/07/ ... 2946#stage

Contador* lost 1 min 13s to Schleck. That said, the race contained some tier 1 and tier 2 cobbles riders (TM someone on this forum). I'm not sure any of them will be around this year.

*With hindsight we know this was a figment of our imagination as he wasn't actually present that year.