Santa Cruz Solo/5010C build

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    Maybe they stole them in a drunken state and then realised the seriousness of the crime the morning after.

The inline shock looks tasty. Ill be interested to hear how you get on with it as its actually affordable.
  • *AJ* wrote:
    Maybe they stole them in a drunken state and then realised the seriousness of the crime the morning after.

That's my guess. They nicked them to get home on and woke up in the morning realising exactly what they had done.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Maybe they were just spineless c*nts.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    Glad you got it back Rick - imagine being limited to just riding that awful low spec Nomad.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • chick0
    chick0 Posts: 338
    Thats fantastic that you got it back Rick.

How do you think they broke the locks/chains, was their any remains?

Are you also 100% positive that they were not moved by one of your buddies as prank ? ;) :roll:
  • chick0 wrote:
    Thats fantastic that you got it back Rick.

How do you think they broke the locks/chains, was their any remains?

Are you also 100% positive that they were not moved by one of your buddies as prank ? ;) :roll:

100% it was not a friend who moved them! None of my friends would break my lock to move something as a prank. A group of lads were heard talking about stealing the bikes by someone at the pub but it was not taken seriously as they thought it was just drunken talk.

The chain used was not the most substantial, lessons learned and a bigger chain has now been sorted!
  • Ferrals
    Ferrals Posts: 785
    Fwiw I think for insurance, often they demand a certain level of chain - is it called sold secure or something?
  • Ferrals wrote:
    Fwiw I think for insurance, often they demand a certain level of chain - is it called sold secure or something?

Mine just requires it was chained up when out, I checked when the policy was taken out. Quite how you prove it was chained up with no evidence of the chain left I do not know. It's something I will have to ask them about when I get chance.
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    What chain did you buy Rick?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Put my Inline on and gave it a run today. Went with the stock base settings (I'm currently putting some stock CC settings on my DBA on the Nomad as the Solo felt better in every way than the settings that were dialled into my BDA CS on that bike!) for a Solo from the Cane Creek and its everything I wanted, climbs great and the climb switch is great as expected. On the descents it feels like a mini Nomad! The Pike at 135mm with 2 tokens feels very, very good and the Inline is just superb, very supple but with great pop. I'd recommend one to anyone on a 100-140mm travel bike. It really is outstanding.

CE68D1AC-A64F-4382-A43A-21A2234BB867.jpg

Just the KS LEV Integra 150mm to fit now.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Bikes looking great Rick, friend of mine has just finished building his 5010 with a lowered 36, says it's an absolute demon! Intrigued by the DB Inline as well, looks and sounds like a great piece of kit
  • lawman wrote:
    Bikes looking great Rick, friend of mine has just finished building his 5010 with a lowered 36, says it's an absolute demon! Intrigued by the DB Inline as well, looks and sounds like a great piece of kit

I think I have seen it, its the same colours as mine isn't it? Sure I saw a pic of it retweeted the other day.

The Inline is amazing, it feels so, so good. I'm looking forward to getting a few more miles on it and then I will try adjusting a few things. Its just the perfect shock for a solo. Also its nice been able to use normal sized shock hardware on it, I've fitted a RWC needle bearing in it from the start in the mount nearest the link as thats the one that rotates the most and always wears out.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    small bump sensitivity is amazing with the inline. for the cash its a superb buy
  • Now its got Race Face bars, stem and chainset:
    DA2E479E-E0C3-4567-AE44-A2BE8392EECE.jpg
    D3393DA8-0402-436C-AD8C-87D2F21061A4.jpg
  • Tidy!
  • My KS LEV Integra is back after been modified to the V1.2 actuator. Looking forward to trying it out with the SouthPaw remote and comparing it to the reverbs I have always used.
  • What's entailed in changing it to accept the southpaw? I do like the look of those levers vs the standard. Interest to hear what you think - I find mine flawless in use but have only minimal time on a reverb to compare it to. Its definitely better than my TMARS mechanical on the hardtail!
  • They will fit the newer actuator/release mechanism like the one below to the bottom of the seatpost:

p4pb10680054.jpg

It works by the inner cable moving not the outer like on the first generation of seatpost.
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    This bike would be perfect for me! It looks great fun to ride - how is it for climbing (not that I can afford one...)?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • declan1 wrote:
    This bike would be perfect for me! It looks great fun to ride - how is it for climbing (not that I can afford one...)?

It climbs really well and can hold its own on the descents as well.

I fitted the KS LEV Integra 150mm now, it feels nice but it's a bit harder to setup than the Reverb as you have to guess cable length.

f59b74507827e2ae3d55ba363ce634ae.jpg
    18f53f365a671c5a8471c342fcfe9b67.jpg
    f0571b935e6815eb56ddcef847554347.jpg
  • The version I have that wont work with the Southpaw is easy to set up for the cable length - I can see how it would be tricky to do with the cable feed going the other way. But surely once you have the outer length the cable length is that plus the southpaw body length and the release mechanism.
  • First big ride on the YOLO today, 32 miles with 3.5k of climbing.

Great to ride, as I am a fat cunt right now I fitted a 32 tooth front ring to make it more of a longer distance bike. Kind of wish I had taken my Soul as 4 out of the 6 were on hardtail bikes with triples (my Soul only has a double but it would have been easier!)!

I loved it though, the Solo sucks everything up and rides like a bigger bike. I just need to work on the rider!

Only downer was the saddle making a bid for freedom from the clamp of the LEV. Needs some thread lock apparently!

9B22C910-511D-46BE-8B64-E158C4D12328.jpg
  • Been for a ride on this today and its bloody flying. Set a load of PR's on a really rocky descent, smashing the time I did on my Nomad and Bronson to pieces.

Off to New York tomorrow where I am collecting a Cane Creek Angleset for it and I'm also going to put a 36 on the front of it as well I think.
  • Dawesy92
    Dawesy92 Posts: 606
    Whats on the front now? Pikes?
  • Dawesy92 wrote:
    Whats on the front now? Pikes?

Yep a 135mm pike.
  • Looking forward to fitting this:
    fd855a1d1efd6af182821a306ebc77db.jpg
    28c2e3ec392e7549467939b26ca8a1c2.jpg
    e3a008235d4c7efa781d6a2ec3f746f4.jpg
    First I will try it with the Pike then with the 36, going to be pretty amazing I think.
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Been thinking about this for my Process. I'll be interested to see how you get on.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Got the Angleset all fitted now, slackened it out to approximately 66/66.5 degrees. Cannot wait to get it out on the trails tomorrow and see how it feels.
    6166DCC7-C85D-4E00-B9DC-40E74687D429.jpg
    19F9F7DE-CE00-4AC1-A648-10C3EEBEDAAB.jpg
    6CA8BA0F-20F4-42A8-8551-29C0E5ABB7AD.jpg
  • Looks awesome, great thread too.

I had my bike stolen before. Glad you found yours.
  • Put a spare 2015 Fox 36's on the Solo today :D

4057BBA5-F280-433A-8149-63CA3C50D7EA.jpg
    5FFF0167-A63E-4F6C-8464-19E8BD3C0B9C.jpg

Will try it out this week.