Santa Cruz Solo/5010C build

Comments

• Dick Scruttock
    Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
    lawman wrote:
    I want one. No, I need one... Shame it's a medium and not a large or I'd have it off you in 6 months ;)

You make it sound like I change bikes often :lol:

Anyhow the fork decals arrived this morning and I changed a few bits around between this and my Soul. Ive fitted the 180/160 formula rotors, XTR M970 pedals and chopped the steer down and . Still waiting for the rear tyre, saddle and grips though.

683D9F50-6C23-4999-9BEF-8C80216BF8EB.jpg
    C7E7A820-CAF4-49DC-A12A-9D1C25195C4B.jpg
    01EAC2A0-3F50-46C6-9E2A-3DDE5391F68D.jpg
    Weighs 26.2lbs which is not too shabby when you consider just how heavy the Maxxis tyres are! If I went to another brand I could drop almost 1.5lbs
  • Festerfeet
    Festerfeet Posts: 90
    That is a great looking bike you have built, enjoy.
  • Antm81
    Antm81 Posts: 1,406
    Stunning bike, I'm not jealous of any of your bikes at all honestly.
  • Lewis A
    Lewis A Posts: 767
    I reckon a bike like this is all most of us need travel wise. Those tires are heavy :shock: 875g!
    Cube Analog 2012 with various upgrades.
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    Not a bad pair:
    E05628F1-CA6F-4398-A9F4-89FFAEBB08B8.jpg

Sweeeet! Very nice pair indeed.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    I love a nice pair... have you weighed them carefully in both hands?
  • CitizenLee
    CitizenLee Posts: 2,227
    Looking great Rick, but you know this :)

What's the usage split going to between the two?
    Current:
    NukeProof Mega FR 2012
    Cube NuRoad 2018
    Previous:
    2015 Genesis CdF 10, 2014 Cube Hyde Race, 2012 NS Traffic, 2007 Specialized SX Trail, 2005 Specialized Demo 8
  • Dick Scruttock
    CitizenLee wrote:
    Looking great Rick, but you know this :)

What's the usage split going to between the two?

Probably 40/60 in the Solo's favour, it depends what I feel like when I go out on a ride. If I'm going to go out with my local club then I will pick the Solo as rides are longer 30+ miles and not Nomad shaped terrain! If I go out locally then it will be either depending on what route I choose.

The Nomad is a great bike but it is a lot of bike at the same time.
  • Dick Scruttock
    edited July 2014
    Well, before I've even ridden her in anger she now looks like this:
    20F35B09-54A1-4527-9A7F-7D0B872DF6D9.jpg
    :cry:

Was going to go out tonight or tomorrow for its first ride but when I was setting the sag up I noticed a imperfection in the paint around the upper linkage area. It looked like a crack but I think the frame might have just taken a smack in that area during transit and the flex has caused the paint to crack. I emailed Sandy at The Trailhead as soon as I noticed it and I had a reply off him that night, the guy is a total legend and I cannot recommend them enough. I'd also sent pics to SC UK/Jungle too and I got a reply off Jonty the following morning. A new front triangle is on its way to Sandy and it would be ready to collect tomorrow but as it needs a invisiframe kit fitted it will be Saturday.

Was pretty gutted when I noticed it but its not the end of the world and the customer service has been great. If anyone is in the market for a new Santa Cruz The Trailhead would be my first port of call.
  • buddy_club
    buddy_club Posts: 935
    I can vouch for the trailhead too as one of my LBS', always had great service even just for little things like a few bolts or a chat.
    Framebuilder
    Handbuilt Steel 29er https://goo.gl/RYSbaa
    Carbon Stumpjumper https://goo.gl/xJNFcv
    Parkwood:http://goo.gl/Gf8xkL
    Ribble Gran Fondo https://goo.gl/ZpTFXz
    Triban:http://goo.gl/v63FBB
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    That's good to see hut when you're paying for top end brands you should get top end service.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    Shame about that, better to get it sorted thought.. The trailhead seem like a real nice bunch, and to be honest most local bike shops are. It's the one thing that stops me buying a frame online

Should be a great ride though Rick, probably well suited to a lot of UK trails

What's that saddle you've got? I'm looking at getting a new one and I've seen that used on a lot of builds
  • Dick Scruttock
    That's good to see hut when you're paying for top end brands you should get top end service.

I agree but you don't always expect to be kept up to date with whats happening. Both shop and retailer kept me fully up to date and TBH I never expected a email off Sandy after hours last night, thats going the extra mile. I even got one off Jonty to say it had been dispatched, massive thumbs up to both.
  • Dick Scruttock
    ej2320 wrote:
    What's that saddle you've got? I'm looking at getting a new one and I've seen that used on a lot of builds

That saddle in the latest picture is a Fizik Gobi XM braided carbon. Ive got both Klum rails and carbon on different bikes and both are amazing. I did want to try a Specialized Phenom pro as its a bit lighter and I love my Specialized 143mm road bike saddles. Everywhere is sold out of 143mm width saddles though so that put pay to that.
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    ej2320 wrote:

That saddle in the latest picture is a Fizik Gobi XM braided carbon. Ive got both Klum rails and carbon on different bikes and both are amazing. I did want to try a Specialized Phenom pro as its a bit lighter and I love my Specialized 143mm road bike saddles. Everywhere is sold out of 143mm width saddles though so that put pay to that.

That's the one! I remember reading an article on it and it was highly rated.. I'll give that a go when I get round to changing the saddle.. Thanks
  • Dick Scruttock
    Merlin are very cheap for them.
  • Dick Scruttock
    Lets try again :D
    5AFFF283-F07D-41F4-BF7E-96653E5182FE.jpg

Had a few changes while I was waiting for the triangle, I am waiting for brakes, a 150mm drop KS LEV Integra with a Southpaw and a different shock 8)

Hopefully next week will see most of it here bar the shock as thats in New York awaiting collection :mrgreen:
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Ooh, looks nice. Glad to see you're treating it safely ;)

Is that a 1-series?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Dick Scruttock
    declan1 wrote:
    Is that a 1-series?

It is :shock: 123D M-Sport Coupe.
  • BloggingFit
    BloggingFit Posts: 919
    Collecting from Sids?
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Dick Scruttock
    Collecting from Sids?

Nope, its at my hotel after I ordered it from Universal Cycles at a killer price :D
  • Well its all back together once again and ready for its first ride later today :D :
    61B4B8EA-1990-4C32-886A-A74528A3FA54.jpg
    With some shiny new brakes:
    666B0D27-256A-4DD5-9BEA-A9ACA131188C.jpg
    And more new bits arriving next week, a CC Inline and something I need this for:
    52BC1798-048C-4372-B569-C79C316F0F90.jpg
    A205159F-2826-4271-BBA8-2C48C4B46031.jpg
    I have aso sourced the parts to make a 150mm drop 30.9mm Reverb stealth just in case I don't like the 150mm LEV.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Why the change of brakes? Weight saving?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    really like the look of the southpaw - might have to get one of those for my Lev - cant imagine why you wouldnt like the lev - as far as I can tell its operation is no different to the reverb in use, smooth and comes up with a sufficiently audible/tangible bump to tell you its there. Standard lever action is nice, like the look of the southpaw though!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • dusk wrote:

Pretty much. These were cheap and apparently Formula have cured the pad retraction issues that blighted them in the past, use will find that out though! It was a tossup between these and XTR Race and I fancied a change.
  • really like the look of the southpaw - might have to get one of those for my Lev - cant imagine why you wouldnt like the lev - as far as I can tell its operation is no different to the reverb in use, smooth and comes up with a sufficiently audible/tangible bump to tell you its there. Standard lever action is nice, like the look of the southpaw though!

Yes I am looking forward to trying the KS LEV, I know the one I have is the version 1 of it so I will need to send it off to have it updated as V1 does not play well with SC bikes.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    dusk wrote:

Pretty much. These were cheap and apparently Formula have cured the pad retraction issues that blighted them in the past, use will find that out though! It was a tossup between these and XTR Race and I fancied a change.
    I've got Formula R0's, never had an issue in the year and a half I've had them :D
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • Got my first ride in on it today and I bloody love it! Rides very well and its just feels so right! I think 125mm of travel out back feels spot on as well for a lot of the riding I do.

I did manage to snap the pro mount billet garmin mount so thats going, I was never sold on the garmin over hanging the rear of the stem and when my knee hit it, snapped it off and sent my garmin flying that pretty much confirmed it.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    The V1 version? Not sure what version I have but it works fine with the Bronson.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • The V1 version? Not sure what version I have but it works fine with the Bronson.

Here is a picture of both, first is the V1:
    898282d1401760756t-ks-lev-integra-where-photo-1.jpg
    V1.2:
    897594d1401564753t-ks-lev-integra-where-photo-1.jpg

V1 requires the cable outer to move and did not work well on any frame without full dropper internal routing. Basically if the frame had stealth dropper post routing with a entry from the bottom of the seat tube it did not work. V1.2 works using movement from the inner cable only.