Wiggins to Orica?

Comments

• Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    RideOnTime wrote:
    He (Sir Wiggo himself) has confirmed he's not going.

Let's see what happens if and after he's not picked for the Tour team. He's held off signing a new Sky contract for months now, to give himself wiggle room*

*free delivery

Agree that will be interesting. Wiggo has played the faithful servant this year, has kept his mouth shut and on form nobody amongst those who might be domestiques looks stronger. If he isn't picked it's a kick in the balls, the only way it can be explained is to say Froome and/or Brailsford doesn't trust him.

I think Wiggins is only selected as a last resort. After the 2013 Giro/Tour double shenanigans I doubt Froome trusts him anywhere near a microphone. Froome doesn't need a former winner hijacking media to promote his Filling the Void(TM) retirement plan, or endless guff about The Road to Rio. Seems like Froome can speak for himself.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    Macaloon wrote:
    RideOnTime wrote:

Let's see what happens if and after he's not picked for the Tour team. He's held off signing a new Sky contract for months now, to give himself wiggle room*

*free delivery

Agree that will be interesting. Wiggo has played the faithful servant this year, has kept his mouth shut and on form nobody amongst those who might be domestiques looks stronger. If he isn't picked it's a kick in the balls, the only way it can be explained is to say Froome and/or Brailsford doesn't trust him.

I think Wiggins is only selected as a last resort. After the 2013 Giro/Tour double shenanigans I doubt Froome trusts him anywhere near a microphone. Froome doesn't need a former winner hijacking media to promote his Filling the Void(TM) retirement plan, or endless guff about The Road to Rio. Seems like Froome can speak for himself.

Look the guy is 34 and he's still pretty good whatever way you look at it. He's not touched any SantogenTM or other banned substances and he's a beacon for us chaps of mature years.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    My guess his exit strategy is to retire after the 2016 Olympics (for maximum PR, if not glory) and I can't see him lasting 2 more seasons at Sky unless they want to risk the structure fossilizing.
  • RideOnTime
    He wouldn't go to Orica anyway they can't even drive buses in the right direction.
  • Spiny_Norman
    Spiny_Norman Posts: 128
    RideOnTime wrote:

*free delivery

Even if they don't - the Fenton spat may be serious, completely exaggerated or somewhere in between - he's someone you'd want on your side, and the Sky method could use him without needing to trust him, per se.

As long as Porte's fit to ride as wingman, Wiggins would be just another engine in the mountain train, pulling hard to within the last 5-10km, then rolling in minutes down. He'd also be a useful guy to have on your side in the cobbled sections. That way, there's no danger of a reversal of 2012, and Froome doesn't need to see him as a threat. He couldn't suddenly go rogue unless he was obviously not doing his job from the start or somehow able to ride the entire peloton off his wheel. Brailsford's already said they don't see Wiggins as a Plan B, and I think that's just recalibrating expectations for him to fill a Mick Rogers 2012 sort of role.
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Why do people still talk about a Sky mountain train? That was a 2012 tactic for Wiggins as it suited his style, Froome doesn't really use a train as such once they hit the final climb as he's happy to follow attacks himself or even take the initiative and go on the offensive.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Wiggins has just signed with Alan Sugars new team ,,,check Velo news , Incredible :shock:
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Wiggins has just signed with Alan Sugars new team ,,,check Velo news , Incredible :shock:

Bye bye iPhone, hello Amstrad Emailer :lol:
  • Spiny_Norman
    Spiny_Norman Posts: 128
    Pross wrote:
    Why do people still talk about a Sky mountain train? That was a 2012 tactic for Wiggins as it suited his style, Froome doesn't really use a train as such once they hit the final climb as he's happy to follow attacks himself or even take the initiative and go on the offensive.
    Froome didn't use a train much last year because his entire team had fallen apart. Yes, he's less reliant on it than Wiggins, but it's still a favoured Sky tactic to set a high tempo by burning out domestiques one by one, because it's predictable and measurable. And the point remains that if Wiggins was with the lead bunch on the final climb he'd be cannon fodder pulling on the front, not sitting third wheel.
    N00b commuter with delusions of competence

FCN 11 - If you scalp me, do I not bleed?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Yes there is no way they'd let Wiggins be last helper just in case he saves a little bit so when he waves Froome through he's still there in the group, a tactic he'll have seen somewhere before pretty close to home. He might also have a few digs off the front if Froome is struggling and then write a ook about how Froome was falling to pieces and how it's all so unfair he was expected to do the job he was selected for.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Macaloon
    Another factor counting against Wiggins' participation, from the Froome camp's perspective, is his high media profile. Does Froome feel that Wiggo's contribution is enough to compensate for the limelight Wiggins and Fuller's Void productions will steal.
  • RideOnTime

NO :shock: :shock:
  • RideOnTime

erm :roll: :roll:
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    Yes there is no way they'd let Wiggins be last helper just in case he saves a little bit so when he waves Froome through he's still there in the group, a tactic he'll have seen somewhere before pretty close to home. He might also have a few digs off the front if Froome is struggling and then write a ook about how Froome was falling to pieces and how it's all so unfair he was expected to do the job he was selected for.

So, so cynical.

But accurate.
  • Macaloon
    PuttyKnees wrote:

So, so cynical.

But accurate.

First time I've seen this insightful angle. Riders are now instructed to track-stand a la Kennaugh at shift's end.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Pross wrote:
    Froome didn't use a train much last year because his entire team had fallen apart. Yes, he's less reliant on it than Wiggins, but it's still a favoured Sky tactic to set a high tempo by burning out domestiques one by one, because it's predictable and measurable. And the point remains that if Wiggins was with the lead bunch on the final climb he'd be cannon fodder pulling on the front, not sitting third wheel.
    They use different tactics as Pross says. In every stage race Froome has won (and there are eight of them) he has won a MTF solo (or second behind Spilak when an MTF has not been available). That's were he takes a lot of his time. Wiggins never has, he waits for the time trials.

With Froome, Sky want to reduce the number of teammates rivals have to facilitate such attacks, while with Wiggins they try to keep it steady and together to deter them and take it to time trials. One is an attacking strategy, the other defensive.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Macaloon
    ^ Given what we've seen in the Giro, it's striking that only Froome and Nibali managed to escape the train. Neither made it stick. A 2013 Nibali may have been a different story. I doubt the tactic would deter the current generation of climbers.

Good on Wiggins for taking his opportunity.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Macaloon wrote:
    I doubt the tactic would deter the current generation of climbers.
    I can't wait to see if this is the case. Genuinely. There is some proper mountain goat climbing talent about (a lot of it at the Giro) and I would love to see it against a proper Sky/Movistar train (I think probably the only teams strong enough to run it and who would want to run it for their GT riders). French climbs maybe not best suited to the mountain goat climbers (I guess) - but come on, its going to make for great watching (touch wood).
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986

Link please, because I can't see anything. Unless it's a crap joke of course...
  • PuttyKnees
    PuttyKnees Posts: 381
    RichN95 wrote:
    They use different tactics as Pross says. In every stage race Froome has won (and there are eight of them) he has won a MTF solo (or second behind Spilak when an MTF has not been available). That's were he takes a lot of his time. Wiggins never has, he waits for the time trials.

With Froome, Sky want to reduce the number of teammates rivals have to facilitate such attacks, while with Wiggins they try to keep it steady and together to deter them and take it to time trials. One is an attacking strategy, the other defensive.

I think what's interesting about this year is that based on past form Froome could, if he wanted, take it to time trials (if they cancel each other out in the mountains). However, this is an area that Nibali has improved upon and so we could be in for a treat where both mountains and TT are unpredictable. I may be grasping at straws, I admit.
  • Macaloon
    PuttyKnees wrote:
    I think what's interesting about this year is that based on past form Froome could, if he wanted, take it to time trials (if they cancel each other out in the mountains). However, this is an area that Nibali has improved upon and so we could be in for a treat where both mountains and TT are unpredictable. I may be grasping at straws, I admit.

Perhaps not. The only TT this year is the penultimate stage. We won't know if Froome can claw back the 90s Quintana took mountains until the last crank turns. Genius.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ^i didn't know Quintana had been confirmed as doubling up for the Tour? Has he then?
  • Macaloon
    ^i didn't know Quintana had been confirmed as doubling up for the Tour? Has he then?

It was all a dream. We're never going to see that Tour.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    If we’re dreaming then I’d like to see Wiggins move to Orica right now and take on Froome at this year’s Tour, and for Quintana to ride too. That would be a cracker
  • RideOnTime
    TMR wrote:

Yes. I can't find a thing except pictures of Alan Sugar on his bike.

not pretty
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    ju5t1n wrote:
    If we’re dreaming then I’d like to see Wiggins move to Orica right now and take on Froome at this year’s Tour, and for Quintana to ride too. That would be a cracker

That can kick off when Froome loses 3 mins on the cobbles because Sky have packed the team with climbers for whom the cobbles are merely something they've read about, with the sole exception of G who was held up by a crash and unable to help his leader.

This dreaming lark is interesting...
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    Observer P5 today - Froome training on Haworth's cobbles. THAT serious, eh?
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    It seems quite logical to me. He doesn't want to stay at Sky. He fancies one more year with an eye on the track. OGE are a heavy TT based team with no other GC contenders, who can give him an extra bonus in races with a TTT.
  • tuneskyline
    TMR wrote:

Fancy asking for a link :lol: You got reeled in which is quite funny ,come on.
  • tuneskyline
    ju5t1n wrote:

That can kick off when Froome loses 3 mins on the cobbles because Sky have packed the team with climbers for whom the cobbles are merely something they've read about, with the sole exception of G who was held up by a crash and unable to help his leader.

This dreaming lark is interesting...

But if you remember the last time the tour hit the cobbles the GC contenders did not do to bad. It's more a case of not getting any bike issues and it was very exciting as well. I think Froome would cope as well as anyone else. Contador rode well last time.