Wiggins to Orica?

inseine
inseine Posts: 5,786
edited June 2014 in Pro race
I haven't seen anything on here, maybe I missed it. Greenedge say they are going to announce a big GT rider in the next few weeks (before the embargo date?) and the rumour mill is looking towards Wiggins.
Makes some sence if he feels he's refound his old form but has been frozen out by Froome.

Comments

• fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    Makes some sporting sense, but doesn't fit with his uber-British personality/brand
  • specialgueststar
    specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
    errrm 35 next year and a very chequered history?Then again.....he sliced through California with ease. Is this going to be the finale of the SKY v OGE thing giving Wiggins and excuse to ride for himself at the Tour?

I would have thought they would go looking at Belkin's wealth of (much younger) talent? Mollema is not contracted for 2015
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I would love it if this was true, can't see it but fingers crossed. My take is always that riders with the capacity to challenge for the win in a grand tour should leading a team not sweating on selection as a domestique.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    tbh I was surprised that he stuck with Sky for this season. Wiggins has always been the type of person who needs an entire team built around him, and Sky is built around Froome.
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    But Sky have deep pockets and Wiggins has done them proud. First British TdF winner, Olympics and a Sirdom. English language PR/sponsor's wildest dream.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,158
    I can't see how Wiggins will offer value for Orica. Surely they would be better pursuing a young up and coming rider who is being blocked by a more established star. Majka, Aru, van Garderen, Porte, Kreuziger - that sort of rider. Hire them on the way up, not the way down. Just like Rodriguez and Nibali used to be.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,589
    Would have thought Porte would be the more obvious choice - younger, Australian, having to act the faithful domestique they missing out when he finally got the chance to ride for himself. Wiggins wouldn't make much sense.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Makes almost no sense. Orica aren't going to let him do the track stuff he needs to next year, and it goes completely against their philosophy of signing and nurturing young talent.

All Matt White said was a grand tour rider, not a contender or a former winner. People have got carried away. The way Matt White phrased it sounded to me like Adam Hansen, but I believe he's under contract until after 2015.
  • RichN95.
    My hunch is it's Kreuziger (based on nothing but guesswork)
  • Turfle
    I'll say Tanel Kangert, because I like saying Tanel Kangert. Geraint Thomas is out of contract and would fit them well.

I can't see it being Porte, as he knows he's the clear #2 at Sky.
  • RideOnTime
    RideOnTime Posts: 4,712
    No. No. No.
  • gsvbagpuss
    gsvbagpuss Posts: 272
    G would be an interesting one, he did say he had teams sniffing around him. Adam Yates is their GC rider to groom - that guy is going to be seriously great (and he's already damn good)
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    RideOnTime wrote:
    No. No. No.

So that's a no then RideOnTime? Are you sure? Don't want to change your mind?

I can't see Wiggins going to OGE myself. Although seeing him having to engage in their 'fun and japes' style "Call me Maybe" antics would be hilarious.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Adam Yates is their GC rider to groom - that guy is going to be seriously great (and he's already damn good)

Would he not benefit from having a teammate who's been there and done it? That's the vague sense I could see in Wiggins going to Orica. He'd be a very expensive mentor though and can't see it working for Wiggins, other than taking pressure off and letting him go back to the track.
  • above_the_cows
    Is it all an elaborate attempt at intelligence gathering? Is Wiggins going to be some sort of Kim Philby. He goes to OGE, they let him ride the track under the agreement that he feeds back info on the British track team to the Aussies?
  • RichN95.
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    G would be an interesting one, he did say he had teams sniffing around him. Adam Yates is their GC rider to groom - that guy is going to be seriously great (and he's already damn good)
    Here's a long term prediction for you: Simon Yates will end his career with better palmares than Adam.
  • Paulie W
    Paulie W Posts: 1,492
    RichN95 wrote:
    GSVBagpuss wrote:
    Here's a long term prediction for you: Simon Yates will end his career with better palmares than Adam.
    Isnt that what everyone thought until a few months ago - that Simon was the real talent -and it's only Post-Avenir and even more so Post-Turkey that Adam is now being touted as the big GC hope.
  • Turfle
    I definitely thought Simon was a couple of classes ahead of Adam, but Adam has just made huge improvements from L'Avenir onwards. Luckily, I think they're different enough riders that their targets won't completely overlap. Simon better on hills, and with a better finish, and Adam looking a little better in the high mountains.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Is it all an elaborate attempt at intelligence gathering? Is Wiggins going to be some sort of Kim Philby. He goes to OGE, they let him ride the track under the agreement that he feeds back info on the British track team to the Aussies?

At first I thought you were going to put it the other way around what with the 13 Aussies starting the Giro compared to 1 Brit and all the success they've been having.
  • above_the_cows
    Mechanism wrote:

At first I thought you were going to put it the other way around what with the 13 Aussies starting the Giro compared to 1 Brit and all the success they've been having.

Ooo double/triple agent stuff.
  • Turfle
    Come to the dark side, my son.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    If he doesn't go to Orica, where should he go?

Assume he's no longer required at Sky
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,561
    iainf72 wrote:

BMC or Lampre :lol:
  • Turfle
    Stays where he is and tries to win Roubaix.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I would suggest FACT might be a good option. Pro Conti so smaller set of races but Wiggins could help with the invites
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:

Is he no longer required? Ultimately, cycling is just a branch of marketing and Wiggins is a household name in Britain. I don't see why they wouldn't keep him on if the price is right. Jens Voigt is basically still going due to his publicity value.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    As anyone checked that Wiggins is going anywhere?
    I don't see him going anywhere apart from back to the track.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    If Filling the Void means anything, he'll go to Garmin to shore up their credibility. But he's worth so much more to the local team that I doubt he'll move.

I am flummoxed by the track talk. I don't understand how the team can afford a Wiggo-sized hole in the budget/squad while he preps for months on end for an indoor event.

It's an unsatisfactory state of affairs for Britain's first tour winner who should be featuring in as many races as he can.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • tuneskyline
    tuneskyline Posts: 370
    Macaloon wrote:
    If Filling the Void means anything, he'll go to Garmin to shore up their credibility. But he's worth so much more to the local team that I doubt he'll move.

I am flummoxed by the track talk. I don't understand how the team can afford a Wiggo-sized hole in the budget/squad while he preps for months on end for an indoor event.

It's an unsatisfactory state of affairs for Britain's first tour winner who should be featuring in as many races as he can.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/tennis/23754381
    He will not win a GT again and he rode well at PR but to win that he would need some luck. WC TT would be hard to win against Tony Martin so the track is his best bet for being on top of a sport.
  • Turfle
    He's not just Britain's first tour winner, he also has (I think) as many medals as any British Olympian. More importantly, he WANTS to ride Rio. End his career the way he started it.