Rob Hatch

Macaloon
Macaloon Posts: 5,545
edited May 2014 in Pro race
How about a thread in praise of Rob Hatch? Articulate, insightful, intelligent commentary enhancing my Giro viewing immensely. Stands accused of making Sean Kelly giggle during today's commentary. Exceptional job.
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    I hardly listen to the commentary but I was listening yesterday and am listening today. I agree - it is good. Decent amount of emotion yesterday - could do with more of that and a few more anecdotes.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dolan_driver
    dolan_driver Posts: 831
    Hatch and Kelly are a good combination. Hopefully they will be doing the Tour as well.

DD.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 41,175
    Yep, hopefully ES will see sense and make him their number one with Stephens / Smith as the backup team and Carlton demoted to tea making duty.
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,104
    I'm another fan.
    Team My Man 2022:

Antwan Tolhoek, Sam Oomen, Tom Dumoulin, Thymen Arensman, Remco Evenepoel, Benoît Cosnefroy, Tom Pidcock, Mark Cavendish, Romain Bardet
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Misread thread title. Expected to read about Liz Hatch. Left disappointed :(
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Hatch and Kelly are a good combination. Hopefully they will be doing the Tour as well.

DD.

No luck - Carlton and Kelly for the Tour and Vuelta.

Rob Hatch will be on Radio 5 for the Tour though - TV muted, radio on!
  • dolan_driver
    TMR wrote:
    Misread thread title. Expected to read about Liz Hatch. Left disappointed :(

I'm with you on that score. To console ourselves here is the bonnie Miss Hatch.

Liz-Hatch-cyclist_zps0fd1dcd6.jpg
    I love you, too.

DD.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,768
    Yes Hatch is doing a good job, not Harmon standard yet but getting close. If I had to make a criticism he is just that little bit too bland, a little bit more personality or as FF says emotion would complete the package.

Jury is still out on Stevens for me, better as a pundit than a commentator where I'd rather have Carlton Kirby, though to be fair commentary can take time to learn so I wouldn't close the door on him yet. He's a little too verbose, sometimes the pictures can speak for themselves.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Oh he's so so so much more pleasant than Kirby.

Always liked Hatch as a commentator, my only issue with him was on twitter where he had a habit of belittling those who pronounced rider names or places incorrectly. He's stopped doing that now, so that's good.

Matt Stephens is getting better by the day. He's tripping over his words less, and he's letter the pictures talk a little more. Having someone he's known for years as his co-commentator is definitely helping.
  • argyllflyer
    For me, you need someone who can fill the dead airtime and Stephens is doing that very well in California. He's very listenable.

Carlton would be the perfect mid afternoon home counties talk DJ, chuckling away at listener anecdotes about robins in the garden and parking tickets. He does that sort of thing well when there's nothing happening in races but loses it when there's something to talk about. I caught a little of the last 1km on Sky yesterday and it was awful - he was about to explode as Rolland and then Moreno both did on screen.

As noted above, Rob could do with some more warmth to his commentary which can be functional, and while I do admire his attempts to pronounce team and rider names correctly, AG2R seems to have fallen somewhere: ah-jay-deuze-err is not correct. ah-jay-deuh-err would be closer surely?
  • DeVlaeminck
    Do you think so ? I've been disappointed by Stevens at California and as a commentator he needs to up his game.
  • argyllflyer
    Do you think so ? I've been disappointed by Stevens at California and as a commentator he needs to up his game.

There's not a lot of competition on Eurosport though!

For a first attempt, it could have gone worse.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,483
    Hatch has toned down his OTT local pronunciations and is becoming less annoying. Stevens was trying too hard at the start of the week and now seems to be settling in. I can now watch both without getting distracted by bad commentry, which I can't with Kirby. Hammond is in his own league though and it would be great to have him back.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,952
    edited May 2014
    Yes, it's hard to believe that Eurosport are going to turn from the sublime to the ridiculous
    for cycling's biggest show.
    Having chosen foreign language stations for the Kirby classics, I have found myself switching back to Eurosport, (except for the infuriatingly frequent ad breaks) almost exclusively.
    The one area Eurosport consistently come out on tops with is in HD picture quality.

Still, if it's a choice of Kirby and glorious HD for the Tour, against Jaja's lot in SD, or unreliable HD, it's another no contest.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Rob hatch has been fab! Although I keep thinking he sung the Neighbours theme tune.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • phil s
    phil s Posts: 1,128
    AG2R seems to have fallen somewhere: ah-jay-deuze-err is not correct. ah-jay-deuh-err would be closer surely?

You're wrong, Rob is right.
    -- Dirk Hofman Motorhomes --
  • cc78
    cc78 Posts: 599
    As noted above, Rob could do with some more warmth to his commentary which can be functional, and while I do admire his attempts to pronounce team and rider names correctly, AG2R seems to have fallen somewhere: ah-jay-deuze-err is not correct. ah-jay-deuh-err would be closer surely?

He is correct, the x in deux is pronounced when it comes before a vowel.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    My 10yo was asking me the other day why he pronounces all the 'foreign' riders with an accent but doesn't say Michael Matthews with an Aussie Twang. Fair point I thought!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • argyllflyer
    cc78 wrote:

I stand corrected - was being discussed on another board that his version was incorrect.
  • DeVlaeminck
    NapoleonD wrote:
    My 10yo was asking me the other day why he pronounces all the 'foreign' riders with an accent but doesn't say Michael Matthews with an Aussie Twang. Fair point I thought!

Yes we've made a similar observation in our house, be good to hear Bradley Wiggins pronounced in a London accent, Nicholas Roche in an Irish brogue and so on, just for consistency of course. Could be quite a lot of fun with some British regional accents, should Dan Martin be Brummy or Irish ?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,187
    NapoleonD wrote:

Yes we've made a similar observation in our house, be good to hear Bradley Wiggins pronounced in a London accent, Nicholas Roche in an Irish brogue and so on, just for consistency of course. Could be quite a lot of fun with some British regional accents, should Dan Martin be Brummy or Irish ?
    I look forward to the pronunciations of Geraint Thomas and Luke Rowe then. Neither should be said with generic Welsh accents, but also neither should be said with full on Cardiff accents - a more softened version would be appropriate. There's apparently a slight change in lilt between Whitchurch and Thornhill.

Of course you can just say Grunt Toma like French TV and no-one will complain.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    NapoleonD wrote:

Nico should be an insouciant Provencal drawl perhaps. Brad an Aussie Twang [/tinhat]

Strava is not Zen.
  • argyllflyer
    calvjones wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:

Nico should be an insouciant Provencal drawl perhaps. Brad an Aussie Twang [/tinhat]

And I wonder how they say Chris Froome back home! :P
  • argyllflyer
    cc78 wrote:

An R is not a vowel though? I have seen it said it is pronounced as RH does because the 2 is plural (I don't know enough about what the letters and number stand for in the first instance), which does not seem obvious in the way it is written. I have a French colleague at work who is also a modern languages teacher so I''ll see what she says this morning - I'm being a bit dense about it.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    And I wonder how they say Chris Froome back home! :P

Immaculate Home Counties, by all accounts.

Rob's not doing an impression of the French Vic Reeves or Steven Gerrard, just stands accused of speaking a foreign language. Not such a serious charge. Merci à tous.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
    cc78 wrote:

An R is not a vowel though? I have seen it said it is pronounced as RH does because the 2 is plural (I don't know enough about what the letters and number stand for in the first instance), which does not seem obvious in the way it is written. I have a French colleague at work who is also a modern languages teacher so I''ll see what she says this morning - I'm being a bit dense about it.

It would be more accurate to say that 2 is pronounced "deuze" if followed by a vowel sound, rather than a vowel. R is not a vowel, but the pronunciation of it is like "air" and that starts with a vowel sound, so it's "deuze-air".

The first Mrs Tuxedo was bilingual French. She taught me a lot :D .
  • cc78
    cc78 wrote:

R is not a vowel but as you have already identified it is pronounced "err", so the x is pronounced before it.

EG if you went into a bar and ordered "deux oranginas" you would also pronounce the x before oranginas.

here is their own youtube channel with proof of how they pronounce it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oashhn4TnY
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    cc78 wrote:

It would be more accurate to say that 2 is pronounced "deuze" if followed by a vowel sound, rather than a vowel. R is not a vowel, but the pronunciation of it is like "air" and that starts with a vowel sound, so it's "deuze-air".

The first Mrs Tuxedo was bilingual French. She taught me a lot :D .

ooh er, Tux :shock: :wink:
  • dolan_driver
    The various accents, personalities and styles of commentary of the Eurosport commentary team may not agree with everyone but the fact is we are absolutely spoiled by the current standard of coverage.

If you started following the sport in the 1980's and compare the coverage from then and now, we couldn't ask for more. We get live coverage of entire mountain stages in the Tour De France from roll-out to stage finish. 5-plus hours of coverage! It is hard to complain about that.

DD.
  • cc78
    The various accents, personalities and styles of commentary of the Eurosport commentary team may not agree with everyone but the fact is we are absolutely spoiled by the current standard of coverage.

If you started following the sport in the 1980's and compare the coverage from then and now, we couldn't ask for more. We get live coverage of entire mountain stages in the Tour De France from roll-out to stage finish. 5-plus hours of coverage! It is hard to complain about that.

DD.

Absolutely. Eurosport is brilliant and it will be a sad day if/when Sky get exclusive broadcast rights for cycling.
This discussion has been closed.