Chain wonkiness?

124»

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    I realise you have given the make and model elsewhere but saying they do not matter is where part of your (in general) problem lies.
  • rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    edited May 2014
    At the end of the day a derailleur is a derailleur.

No point getting bogged down in the finer points when we don't even know the broad strokes yet!

Will look at the chainwheel for wobbling.

The derailleur is bending slightly outwards, away from the bike, instead of parallel. Don't know how much bearing that may have on things.

Will try a new rear wheel if chainring seems legit (the OG wheel with 6-speed cassette, as nature intended)

Although front derailleurs have 3 positions, they are still categorised as 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed etc... so surely what speed your rear cassette is, is significant?

Maybe upgrading the Tourney FD may help if I can't spot any bucklage.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    have you tried upgrading it to a new bike?

it looks like you've upgraded everything else you may as well push the boat out! :shock:
  • Chunkers1980
    No, why going with the consenus. He downgraded. His old bike was a disc and suspention equipped 9 or 10 speed Cube, he thought he'd get himself a Raleigh.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    rubez wrote:
    Nope

rubez wrote:
    No point getting bogged down in the finer points when we don't even know the broad strokes yet!
    Nope - who needs fine points and technicalities, like adjusting things correctly.

rubez wrote:
    The derailleur is bending slightly outwards, away from the bike, instead of parallel. Don't know how much bearing that may have on things.
    Quite a lot I would think.
    rubez wrote:
    Will try a new rear wheel if chainring seems legit (the OG wheel with 6-speed cassette, as nature intended)
    OK

rubez wrote:
    Although front derailleurs have 3 positions, they are still categorised as 8-speed, 9-speed, 10-speed etc... so surely what speed your rear cassette is, is significant?
    Rear 6,7,8, and 9 have the same pull ratio, so as long as the capacity is adequate (Parktools) they will work fine. Front mechs have different width cages, but all have the same pull ratio.

rubez wrote:
    Maybe upgrading the Tourney FD may help if I can't spot any bucklage.
    OK
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    And what adjustment may be out fo whack that would cause a wonky chain may I ask?

That would be useful knowledge.

If I have upped the number of gears (by 1, plus spacer) on the rear, maybe the front cage width is now the wrong width?
  • Chunkers1980
    What's a wonky chain?
  • rubez
    As explained, a chain that moves side to side.
  • Chunkers1980
    When?
  • welshkev
    when the bike is upside down
  • rubez
    And also right way up. Checked it.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    But the chain only follows a straight line between either the rear cog to the front cog (pedalling forwards) or the front cog to the lower rear derailluer cog (pedalling backwards). So for the chain to be moving inwards and outwards from the frame in a pattern which affects the riding (ie pedalling forwards) either the rear cog(s) must be oscillating or the front cog must be oscillating. So why you think the rear derailleur has anything to do with it, I'm struggling to follow. And I'm a noob!!
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • cooldad
    What's a wonky chain?
    rubez wrote:
    As explained, a chain that moves side to side.
    When?
    Drunk?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Not saying it is the RD specifically, though I do note the B-screw doesn't really have an effect, and it is slightly bent outwards.

Chain seems loose, maybe I will take a link off see what that does, may pull it taut so it passes the mech more stable.
  • welshkev
    rubez is drunk and it's him moving not the chain? that'd explain it!
  • cooldad
    From page 1
    nicklouse wrote:
    rubez wrote:
    Tried it, doesn't seem to have anything on this rather specific problem.

They only cater for all the generic problems and procedures.
    No it tells you how it set it up.

You have not set it up correctly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • felix.london
    felix.london Posts: 4,067
    rubez wrote:
    maybe I will take a link off see what that does, may pull it taut so it passes the mech more stable.

I would suggest all your problems arise from this "see what that does" system you have.

Take everything apart again. Put B and limit screws back to where they where, remove mech, check things are moving correctly and follow instructions for installing your specific mech, make sure your chain is the correct length (as you seem to 'think' it's not) and follow a proper online guide....like Parktools to index the gears. Then...go out and ride! If you've still got problems then take it from there.
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • cooldad
    Way too sensible.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708

No it is not. This is why I am asking. they have different capacities and max cog size and various other things.

I am now locking this thread. And I will ban you if you carry on with this silly approach when people are trying to help you.

Answer questions before you start making silly assumptions.
This discussion has been closed.