• rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    Pics/photographic evidence...

How does the chain look, length wise?

small-small
    2mm8cu8.jpg

big-big
    353e1bo.jpg

On further inspection, the derailleur is almost, or actually fully relaxed in the small-small cogs. So... chain needs a link taken off?
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Tyre looks wonky
  • Chunkers1980
    Oh, and you've spent unwisely.
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    Never mind the b screw you have left the pins in the pedals .
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If anything chain looks short. QR is on wrong side. Front mech looks a bit low. Something looks wrong on the rear but can't quite work out what (my eyes are old). Is the B screw up against the stop?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rubez
    B-screw is right in.

I thought if the derailleur can be fully relaxed (no tension) then the chain is too big?

I can fit a 50p exactly inbetween front mech and cogs, seems about right.
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    Rubez, is that actually your bike? This was your original post...

Fully rigid MTB
    Hi, are there any good non-suspension MTB's out there? I have a Cube Analogue, which is a couple of years old (and hardly used) but it has front suspension, which I hate and think is useless. Supposedly the lock out thing is no good for hard bumps and landings. Cube make great looking bikes, but the...

I don't read so well but last time I checked you don't spell Cube r.a.e.l.e.i.g.h
  • cooldad
    Wasn't the Cube trashed, so he upgraded!?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Chunkers1980
    That was shite and it fell apart
  • philcubed
    philcubed Posts: 260
    Why are you having to do all this work on your bike, it doesn't look like its been ridden once! (Tho you did trash your cube after 6 rides allegedly, I can't believe even someone with your 'skills' can trash a bike BEFORE you've ridden it!)
  • raldat
    raldat Posts: 242
    cooldad wrote:
    Wasn't the Cube trashed, so he upgraded!?

Argh, I can't keep up...
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Found your problem

It's upside down
  • coulddobetter
    coulddobetter Posts: 812
    What's more worrying , looking at the photos and the car wheels , you may be doing your own motor vehicle maintenance.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Model numbers of the cassette and rear mech please.
  • cooldad
    supersonic wrote:
    Model numbers of the cassette and rear mech please.
    EOT/.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • rubez
    Cassette is Shimano HG20 7 speed, RD is Shimano Alivio 7/8 speed.

Not really worrying about the wonkiness now, as long as I can get the chain to stop rubbing off the FD, have tried every adjustment it seems, always rubs in certain gears, and usually always rubs in the middle ring no matter what.

Thing is, the wonkiness is probably the reason I can't get the chain to run rub-free on the front mech! There isn't the ability to fine tune the mech closely to the chain enough, as I have to allow for it running wonky, so even if I get it running rub-free, it has a knock on effect for adjusting the other stop limit... can adjust one or the other to fun rub-free, not both.

So two questions pop into mind...

The FD Tourney was originally for a 6-speed. The bike is now a 7-speed, do you think this has any bearing on the chain rubbing or wonkiness?

And do you think chain length - too long or too short has any bearing on the chain rubbing off the front mech?

Cheers.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Please explain this 'wonkiness' you mention, is the chain moving side to side at the front as the pedals rotate?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rubez
    Yes I believe so.

Since, say the derailleur is fully rubbing against the chain, and I slowly bring it out with the limit screws, it will start to clear the chain, but it will still rub on and off the chain - so it must be moving side to side...

So it must take too much derailleur clearance to fully clear the entire chain through a full cycle (needing to account for a big margin of error) that I can't then get the adjustment right when I go to set the other inner or outer limit.

Does this makes sense?

That seems to be what is happening... :shock:
  • Chunkers1980
    Have you looked at some guides on the internet of how to do it.

If you're not completely matching stuff that's designed to work together then rubbing in the extremes can happen, but generally you shouldn't use them anyway.

Front mechs require very precise angle and heights to work right.
  • rubez
    So I need a different front derailleur?

An Alivio?

I looked last night, and they are discontinued. May still still one somewhere...

7-speed front mechs are rare now.
  • Chunkers1980
    Just saying it might work fine. Set it up as well as possible and you'll not have issues bar perhaps the extremes. Nothing new needed. but you should have kept the cube, what you have there is borderline BSO - with parts as you're seeing that are harder and harder to come by.
  • rubez
    Set it up fine? What does that mean?

The height was pre-done, so I assume that is fine, and I can't get the limits right due to the chain wonkiness... hence the problem.
  • Chunkers1980
    Set up fine means correctly.

Assumption is the mother of all fukkups.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Assume makes an ass out of u and me
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • rubez
    I can fit a coin and no more inbetween the mech and the cog, that is the standard height. So that is fine.

If you don't have an idea of what is wrong, don't make vague pointless posts to pretend you know what you're talking about.
  • cooldad
    I think it's that darned wonkiness that's to blame.

6,7,and 8 speed chains are the same size (ie there is only one size for all) as are mechs.

So must be wonkiness, obviously not user error.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    Surely if the chain is moving left / right during a pedal stroke, the obvious cause would be either a front cog which is bent (if it happens just in one cog, e.g. largest) or some issue with the front crankset mounting on the BB?
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • welshkev
    is your bottom bracket screwed in correctly?
  • rubez
    Happens in all 3 chainrings.

I doubt the whole thing is fucked.

I could try my old 6-speed cassette wheel to see if the chain is still wonky with that.

What is the bottom bracket? Where the crank goes into?
  • welshkev
    rubez wrote:

What is the bottom bracket? Where the crank goes into?

yes
This discussion has been closed.