Chain wonkiness?

Comments

• rubez
    rubez Posts: 323
    Should be OK, but I'll check.

Would have thought the rear wheel would have likely been the problem since that is feeding the chain towards the front derailleur.

So, I'll check another wheel.

I have a plastic spacer on before the cassette. Maybe an 8-speed cassette, with no spacer would be more stable? I assume an 8-speed would fit without a spacer.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Pictures/video blah blah blah?

Help us help you. Then seek help of a different kind.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    This is comical.

What happens when you go for a ride? You know, when you get on it and move the pedals, apart from it being a shite mountain bike of course.
  • rubez
    you are an attention seeking douche.

Do you make it your own business to spam in each and every thread?

Since this site is under threat of getting shut down soon, how are you going to spend your days then?!
  • Twelly
    Oh I hope they don't shut it down, where would I keep up with the adventures of rubez!?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    rubez wrote:
    Since, say the derailleur is fully rubbing against the chain, and I slowly bring it out with the limit screws, it will start to clear the chain, but it will still rub on and off the chain - so it must be moving side to side...
    99% certain that will be a buckled chainwheel, the chain goes onto the chainwheel right by the front mech, so if the chainwheel is buckled the chain will move side to side where it feeds onto it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just for clarity, who is the attention seeking douche? Chunkers or TwellySmat?
    It could be important.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    rubez wrote:
    Since, say the derailleur is fully rubbing against the chain, and I slowly bring it out with the limit screws, it will start to clear the chain, but it will still rub on and off the chain - so it must be moving side to side...
    99% certain that will be a buckled chainwheel, the chain goes onto the chainwheel right by the front mech, so if the chainwheel is buckled the chain will move side to side where it feeds onto it.
    Looks like all new stuff to me.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    did you take the pics with your phone........?
  • rubez
    edited May 2014
    A buckled chainwheel affects all 3 chainrings?

Yes I took pics with phone.
  • Chunkers1980
    rubez wrote:
    Since this site is under threat of getting shut down soon, how are you going to spend your days then?!

Is this on good authority?

I'll probably get some work done rather than laughing trying to help simples
  • rubez
    Future is going out the game it seems, so I better hurry and get this MF'ing gremlin fixed!
  • Twelly
    cooldad wrote:
    Just for clarity, who is the attention seeking douche? Chunkers or TwellySmat?
    It could be important.

Both
  • JodyP
    JodyP Posts: 193
    rubez wrote:
    you are an attention seeking douche.

Pot.......Kettle
  • Twelly
    welshkev wrote:

I blame the Crudcatcher. There is enough evil in there to send any company into liquidation.
  • welshkev
    BigAl wrote:
    Is the spider bent?

I think that's a bit of a personal question!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I think it all works properly and nothing is wrong. The components are low end so bound to be some misalignment issues. Just go ride the bike.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • welshkev
    TwellySmat wrote:
    welshkev wrote:

I blame the Crudcatcher. There is enough evil in there to send any company into liquidation.

crudcatcher was the only good bit of this forum :lol:
  • rubez
    Buckled chainwheels are rare supposedly, and since the chain is wonky in all 3 rings, not to mention it is still new, this is unlikely at best to be the problem.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    rubez wrote:
    Buckled chainwheels are rare supposedly, and since the chain is wonky in all 3 rings, not to mention it is still new, this is unlikely at best to be the problem.

Just effing take the chain and front mech off. Spin the cranks and observe all three rings. Do they run true?

If not, then
    Bent rings, bent spider, bent crank axle or mis-aligned BB.
  • Chunkers1980
    drlodge wrote:
    I think it all works properly and nothing is wrong. The components are low end so bound to be some misalignment issues. Just go ride the bike.

Look at you with your expensive shite.

Apart from the go ride bit, that is utter rubbish.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,485
    BigAl wrote:
    rubez wrote:

Just effing take the chain and front mech off. Spin the cranks and observe all three rings. Do they run true?

If not, then
    Bent rings, bent spider, bent crank axle or mis-aligned BB.
    Or better still, leave the front mech in place and see if the chainrings are moving in relation to it when viewed from above; use the mech as a useful reference point.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • rubez
    Will have a close look at it, it is just a bit of a bastard having to do it upside down, since I don't have a stand.
  • drlodge
    rubez wrote:
    Will have a close look at it, it is just a bit of a bastard having to do it upside down, since I don't have a stand.

You can turn the chainset backwards with the bike the right way round
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Model number of rear mech please! What are the cassette ratios? Lack of meaningful info is why these threads descend into farce.
  • drlodge
    I'm completely lost as to what the problem is that we're trying to solve. Its already been established that the rear derailleur is out of alignment, until that is sorted I don't see we can move this forward.
    Find me on Strava
  • Chunkers1980
    supersonic wrote:
    Lack of meaningful info is why these threads descend into farce.

You think that is the only reason?
  • rubez
    Not sure if you are serious... make and model already given multiple times - not that they matter.
This discussion has been closed.