Giro Stage 5: Taranto - Viggiano **Spoilers**

Macaloon
Macaloon Posts: 5,545
edited May 2014 in Pro race
tumblr_n5jysbVpoa1ropreyo1_1280.jpg

The risk/reward equation for GC mischief is firmly in favour of risk. Evans and J-Rod can go for it over the top of penultimate climb with no risk of taking a packet, but the chance to put a few more into Nairo. Meanwhile Swift and Matthews will be clinging to trains. Could be great. <- Deluded moron
...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    transparent-pixel.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    ^Wow Frenchie are you really that underwhelmed?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Macaloon
    Tough crowd. Admittedly I am a little rushed, what with a PTP to run a a fresh feud with Phinney in full flight. Where's geology boy with the rock wizardry?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Swift suggested that he would be mad to put himself on the red in this stage and that he is looking to stage 7. Matthews could be ok.

Difficult one to pick, maybe one of the last stages that the GC boys' super domestiques can have a go?
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:
    Tough crowd. Admittedly I am a little rushed, what with a PTP to run a a fresh feud with Phinney in full flight. Where's geology boy with the rock wizardry?

I thought you were exercising your power as Peloton Patron and refusing to put on a show.

Only joking.

Here's the route:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_05.jpg?v=20140508173134

Lots of lovely pork products from Baslilicata, the region where the stage finishes. Spicy sausages and salamis. Cheeses such as cacioricotta Lucano (a sheep and goat milk cheese), Lucania mozzarella and Casieddu di Moliterno are also some of the local specialities.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    Macaloon wrote:

He's having a tough time at work at the moment. I might search for a cheese in a minute to get the thread going.

J Rod for me today I think.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Macaloon
    Thanks folks.

Taranto's most famous son, young Tino, produced this homage to his hometown: cradle of superficial tribute cinema.

Fruity language warning - Tarantino Mashup
  • frenchfighter
    ^Wow Frenchie are you really that underwhelmed?

Not sure what happened. Just posted the profile of the finale:
    http://www.steephill.tv/img/transparent-pixel.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Quick. Somebody help Frenchie post pictures.
  • frenchfighter
    Uff, sorted!
    finish-05.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    If the final km is really between 7%-8% then I think the likes of Swift, Viviani, Bouhanni might struggle against the strong puncheurs. Swift has shown he is good at getting over climbs in order to contest a sprint but has he won a notable uphill sprint? I could be wrong (not for the first time).

So I think it might come down to the punchy, stage hunters and the likes of Evans and J Rod looking for time bonuses.

Someone like Paolini would be great for this kind of finish but I'm assuming he'll be working to set J Rod up.
  • frenchfighter
    From one stage this Giro:
    Bnk_vNeIEAE5qMV.png
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    break: Frapporti, Viviani, Rubiano, Farrar, Wegmann, De Haes, Van Der Sande, Monsalve, Hurel, Thurau, Swift.
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Interesting break. Who's going to chase it down? Matthews likely to lose the leaders jersey On the final climb so will Orica bother chasing? At least we'll be getting some good racing.
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Swift and Viviani might just be going up the road to clean up the intermediate sprint points?

Or maybe Sky are backing EBH for the finish.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Orica will chase. Matthews said he wants to win this stage.
  • fleshtuxedo
    fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,857
    Milton50 wrote:
    Swift and Viviani might just be going up the road to clean up the intermediate sprint points?

Yep, they don't fancy their chances on final climb so no point saving themselves
  • above_the_cows
    Perhaps Swift realises he can't win but wants the intermediate sprint points?
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-b ... lia-stages

Swift saying he is targeting this stage. Brave effort if that's the case r the cards just fell this way and he found himself away. I like it!.
  • above_the_cows
    inseine wrote:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/video-b ... lia-stages

Swift saying he is targeting this stage. Brave effort if that's the case r the cards just fell this way and he found himself away. I like it!.

Damn Sky, no panache.
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    Although in the video he actually says he'll be helping EBH doesn't he?
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    It's really tempting just to watch the last 5km ... But surely things must improve now the circus has left town ...

It's the Giro, so I'll give it a go but it's running out of goodwill ...
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Mechanism wrote:

I should probably have watched the video before posting it...................
    It was titled 'Swift targets stage 5' but not necessarily for the win.
    I imagine Vivianni is after the points jersey, but Swift too?
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    inseine wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

You'd think he'd have a go at the points jersey but seemed to pull out of the intermediate sprint yesterday - maybe just part of the general confusion. He won the intermediate sprint just now though. Will he drop back to the peleton?
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Swift said on the preview that it would be 'crazy to go into the red' onto this stage as the hill at the end is not to his strengths. And that stage 7 would be perfect for him.

Pretty sure he is just going for the points on the intermediate here.
  • Macaloon
    33c16yd.png
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Mechanism wrote:
    Will he drop back to the peloton?
    There's not much point doing it instantly. May as well hang around and see what happens.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    Mechanism wrote:
    inseine wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

You'd think he'd have a go at the points jersey but seemed to pull out of the intermediate sprint yesterday - maybe just part of the general confusion. He won the intermediate sprint just now though. Will he drop back to the peloton?

I would like to say that this is confirmation of my earlier expert analysis but I cannot prove a link...
  • TheBigBean
    TheBigBean Posts: 21,541
    Macaloon wrote:
    33c16yd.png

Just like to say that you're providing some excellent PTP graphs. You put the rest of us to shame.
  • above_the_cows
    Looks like there's currently quite a strong tailwind at the finish.