Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Anyone know why Ten Dam crashed at the finish line? He looked properly annoyed.

Someone said on Twitter that he'd been clipped by another rider
  • slimreaper
    slimreaper Posts: 738
    ThomThom wrote:
    slimreaper wrote:
    So frustrating. Watching a TT partly hinges on the suspense of monitoring time checks.
    Do your own checks. They’re offering free HD streaming that actually works and you’re moaning about the details?

Well, Eurosport definitely isn't a free stream here. Not that it matters anyway. The lack of/way of showing the time checks are ridiculous. That's all.
    ^this.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Quick look at some GC contenders:
    Dennis 44
    Machado 1'19
    Craddock 1'33
    De la Cruz 1'34
    Zubeldia 2'10
    Busche 2'16
    Yates 2'19
    Ten Dam 2'20
    Danielson 2'21
    Stetina 2'30
    Acevedo 2'39

then i got bored
  • slimreaper
    This drag looks hard work for Cav.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    What the hell has Cav got stuck to his back? He looks like a camel.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    RichN95 wrote:

Renshaw.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    No, he was not looking that fast was he :lol:
  • Turfle
    Might be a good course for Sagan actually. Top 10?
  • slimreaper
    Turfle wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Renshaw.
    :D
  • Turfle
    Good stuff from Wiggo.

Tomorrow could be good. Garmin are going to throw people up the road all over the place tomorrow, and Sky don't have a great climbing team here.
  • oneof1982
    oneof1982 Posts: 703
    ^yes - re Cav's time
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Tao Hart 81st 26:34 @3:16
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Turfle wrote:
    Good stuff from Wiggo.

Tomorrow could be good. Garmin are going to throw people up the road all over the place tomorrow, and Sky don't have a great climbing team here.
    Yeah, but Wiggins will just time trial up the mountain with team support and they will struggle to take much time out of him. I don't see anyone other than Machado troubling him.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Turfle
    Turfle wrote:
    Joe Dombrowski will outdo himself, I feel. Hope so, anyway.

If Dombro's knee is feeling good he'll definitely be a huge help. Edmondson too.

Of course with the form Wiggo seems to be in he can probably go with almost any move he wants to.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Wiggins putting in a great time. I was expecting Phinney to be closer.

These GC times at the bottom of the screen are a pain in the backside after you've seen them a few times. No on-screen info on the time splits is a poor show.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Phinney: maximum class.

"It was OK, it wasn't my best ride," Phinney said. "I wasn't feeling amazing the whole time. I think I did an alright ride, but I think Wiggins was in a whole 'nother category. It just is was it is. You put it out there. You throw the vibe out there and see what you get back. It's not exactly what I wanted, but whatever."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/taylor-phinneys-reaction-to-his-tt-performance

If only he'd been allowed to ride as fast as he wanted the previous day:
    The Omega Pharma guys were pulling hard, and obviously Sky was with Wiggins. If Wiggins hadn't been there we could have gone faster :roll:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Turfle wrote:
    Good stuff from Wiggo.

Yeah, but Wiggins will just time trial up the mountain with team support and they will struggle to take much time out of him. I don't see anyone other than Machado troubling him.

Agreed re Machado...was happy to see he was up there as otherwise it would be a foregone conclusion for the GC unless Wiggins didnt care to try. Also, his team mate König is not too far.

Acevedo and Chaves got totally pumped in the TT. Craddock great in 13th.

Ridiculous winning margin. He is going to have to crack if he is going to lose. You dont make up that sort of time these days very often.

4x more posts for this TT then for the 4 Days race combined. I guess posts and quality of race have no relationship. Maybe it is because this race is in the US - hotbed of cycling history and clean performances that it is.

BnfWMI6CQAAThBR.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Not sure about the number of posts. The TT discussion only really started on p5. But anyway, genuine interest in how the 2012 TdF winner is getting on form wise and how this might play out later in the season probably has something to do with it.

Changing topic slightly, the tour tracker app is a great way of keeping up with the race.

I hope we some racing in today's stage with Garmin giving it a real go rather than tempo up to 1km to go. That said, the heat could neutralise things which would be a shame.
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    re: Wiggins form.

I'm quite interested in this also, he's kind of under the radar a little bit at the moment, clearly not being used by team sky as their go to guy for the tour, but his general behavior and mood seems to be very positive. he's never the centre of attention of a lot of the team stuff that get's posted on twitter etc but he seems to be more and more in the background and looking a lot more happy with his lot this season.

I'd suggest he's going to do well this season.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    I think Dunkirk suffered as most people were watching the Giro stages instead and you always get far more posts live than after highlights. From the limited amount I saw of Dunkirk it looked an excellent race but then I think the smaller races often are better than the more hyped larger races. Cali has the benefit of being on at a time when most people get a chance to watch. For me the spoilers for a race like Dunkirk are far more worthwhile because I don't get to watch, spoilers for races which a lot of people are watching naturally result in more discussion / chat.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Would love to see Wiggo try and win today rather than just contain any attacks.

Attacking does not seem to be really part of his nature but he still does need to show off to Sir Dave if he's going to get picked for the Tour. So come on Wiggo - have a dig for the win.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • woody1545
    woody1545 Posts: 322
    I agree ref Wiggos form. Seem a lot more relaxed and happy without the weight of expectation on his shoulders.

Should be a good stage, in contrast to Kittel winning another sprint in the Giro.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    Macaloon wrote:
    The Omega Pharma guys were pulling hard, and obviously Sky was with Wiggins. If Wiggins hadn't been there we could have gone faster :roll:

His gap to Wiggins would be the same, but Wiggo's lead over most of the rest of the GC contenders would be even bigger.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The only stage of Dunkirk I saw was them doing laps on a deserted prom. It didn't look the most inspiring race if I'm honest.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Check out stage 3 and 4. Dont just watch the final km. There was action from 50km+
    Contador is the Greatest
  • johnboy183
    johnboy183 Posts: 832
    Apologies if this has been posted earlier but having googled Folsom images, surprised SurBrad didn't wear this last night!
    bc1dmo7icaa2c4e_670.jpg
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    cougie wrote:
    The only stage of Dunkirk I saw was them doing laps on a deserted prom. It didn't look the most inspiring race if I'm honest.

You must have got a rare poor part, it was a very attacking race with the small lumps and constant wind playing their part. It's easy to assume it was all bunch stuff with Demare's result but he had to work hard for it. I guess they get so many big races in that part of the world the crowds don't show up for smaller stuff.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    r0bh wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:

His gap to Wiggins would be the same, but Wiggo's lead over most of the rest of the GC contenders would be even bigger.

Yep. It's nothing personal, I just can't stand Phinney.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • ic.
    ic. Posts: 769
    Wiggo did seem to be wearing a different skinsuit to the other Sky riders though, anyone know anything about that?
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
    2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
    Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Macaloon wrote:
    Yep. It's nothing personal, I just can't stand Phinney.

Me neither. He seems like a strap-on with a stupid haircut.