Comments

• ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Cav or Degenkolb...?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • germcevoy
    germcevoy Posts: 414
    Fair play Cav. Always amazes me how flat he is on the bike when at full pelt.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Cav! According to Peta at home on the phone :P

Right, night night all
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • gattocattivo
    gattocattivo Posts: 500
    That was pretty damn close
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    That was a fun way to round off a brill weekend.

Cab & Wiggo in a break. Weird, but fun.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Sagan green jersey odds lengthening every sprint.
  • This close:

BnY7ixHCcAAsZLm.png:large
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Bunch sprint. Bit of a let down when the racers from OPQS came out to split the bunch in the wind. Shame that Stetina bloke missed the split - Phinney and GVA made it and would have gone full gas had he been there.

Anyone know what this comment means from Phinney:
    The Omega Pharma guys were pulling hard, and obviously Sky was with Wiggins. If Wiggins hadn't been there we could have gone faster

114530__VEG8203.jpg
    140515__VEG9081.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    For some reason Cnews have Simon Yates as riding...it was actually L Howard in that position so they need to update their database.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    14165269684_2b32511b29_o.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Crap, I was so tired last might I went to bed rather than watch this. Looks like I missed a cracker!
    Correlation is not causation.
  • frenchfighter
    amgen-tour-california-stage-one-20140511-235139-892.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    This close:

BnY7ixHCcAAsZLm.png:large

The photo makes it look like Cav is on a kids bike in comparison to the others!
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    The Omega Pharma guys were pulling hard, and obviously Sky was with Wiggins. If Wiggins hadn't been there we could have gone faster

Because Wiggins is a GC contender and teams with their GC contender not in that split weren't pulling I guess?
  • frenchfighter
    tour-california-sacramento-20140512-010120-269.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • milton50
    milton50 Posts: 3,856
    Just seen the last 10k on the Eurosport re-run. Good sprint from Cav. He came from a fair way behind Degenkolb and then he had to go around Sagan before ducking back on the inside of Degenkolb.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    r0bh wrote:

Because Wiggins is a GC contender and teams with their GC contender not in that split weren't pulling I guess?
    Yep - that's it. BMC's leader is Stetina and Phinney and Van Avermart didn't want to pull to put their leader behind even further. Sky (ie Rowe and Wiggins) were working, as were OPQS, but you could see most of the other teams just policed it. Shame.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Not that I'm complaining but good to see Wiggo getting in the break and doing some serious work - a big shout to Sir Dave for him not to forget him come Le Tour selection?
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Really enjoyed that sprint. last 10k was pretty good as well, Thought Degenkolb had that then literally on the last pedal stroke Cav's wheel nudges past! nice....
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Cav just managing just to pip Giant's number 2 sprinter does not bode well for those who have tipped him to beat the combined stage score of Team Germany at the TDF.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • mroli
    Kittel just managing to pip Team Sky's "sprinter" does not bode well for him taking on the might of Cavendish at the TdF :D
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Is Kittel's skittled, the new Cav's finished?
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2014
    mroli wrote:
    Kittel just managing to pip Team Sky's "sprinter" does not bode well for him taking on the might of Cavendish at the TdF :D

Impressive optimism.
    Last week Viviani looked very quick.
    This weekend he looked to be peddling through Irish mud.
  • frenchfighter
    Cav just managing just to pip Giant's number 2 sprinter does not bode well for those who have tipped him to beat the combined stage score of Team Germany at the TDF.

It is a fair point but then as Milton pointed out Cavendish was not well placed and had a lot of ground and angle to make up. An overhead would have been good.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Projekt Regenbogen
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • blazing_saddles

It is a fair point but then as Milton pointed out Cavendish was not well placed and had a lot of ground and angle to make up. An overhead would have been good.

I hope I'm wrong.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    It's also worth remembering Cav was one of the hardest workers in the crosswinds and once the break got away. It's hugely impressive to me that he could still beat a fresh Degenkolb after that.
  • mroli
    Impressive optimism.
    Last week Viviani looked very quick.
    This weekend he looked to be peddling through Irish mud.
    Not being optimistic, just saying it is very hard to judge sprinters relative to what they beat, especially when they win. Cav lost to Viviani twice in Turkey - but won 3 stages. Kittel just beat Swift and then "collapsed" with the exertion afterwards. Swift was 7th the day before, but nearly won MSR. Cav beat Degenkolb (just), but didn't collapse afterwards. Degenkolb won the sprinter's classic GW, but was 39th in MSR. Kittel was badly placed in the sprint, Cav did loads of work in the break. Kittel's train disintegrated under EBH pressure, Cav lost Renshaw.

Those sort of comparisons just don't work. Basically, both Kittel and Cav found a way to win when they had to in their respective races, which bodes well for an exciting match up when they (and Griepel) finally meet.... Which is really what I'm interested in.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Stage 2 ITT. Starts with Sean Mazich at 21:05 and ends with Cav setting off at 23:22.

Start times for some of the others all BST!

Bobridge 21:32
    Dennis 21:41
    Wiggo 22:42
    Ten Dam 22:45
    Terpestra 22:49
    Phinney 23:04

I would expect times of around 25 to 26 mins depending on winds etc.