Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• Abdoujaparov
    Abdoujaparov Posts: 642
    Great road to drive, bit busy and fast to ride. Did it in an rv a few weeks back!
  • Abdoujaparov
    Thedre you go, camera focusses on Boonen, a quick witted producer guy back at HQ quickly pulls up a nice little stat on him. In this case ToC victories, which is a bit pointless, but it's a start.

Could do number of victories this year, maybe pro-tour points this year, etc etc.

Yanks might not get cycling reallybut they get broadcasting.
    US TV is a shambles!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    People can slate Americans a lot, but they know how to do good sports coverage ( in the 5 minutes between all the ad breaks).

They're pretty good with live sport too. I went to one of the NFL matches at Wembley last year, they squeeze the best part of 3 hours out of a 60 min game and at no point did I think it was boring. Any break in play ends up with some kind of entertainment, even if some of it is ridiculously cheesy/cringeworthy.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    You can tell this is American just by the endless stats at the bottom of the screen, Americans LOVE sports stats!

Although the stage is a bit boring the scenery is awesome. Would love to ride this.

Nothing wrong with sports stats.
    No but I've seen the same ones about 800 times now!

At least the commentator doesn't need to say it 20 times to cater for people who are tuning in ;).

People can slate Americans a lot, but they know how to do good sports coverage ( in the 5 minutes between all the ad breaks).
    I went to the NFL at Wembley last year, they certainly know how to put on a show. Some of it is pure cheez but it's good fun.

With NFL the stats are mostly for gambling as far as I can see.

Although not that popular on here Phil Liggett is the master of cycling stats
  • Abdoujaparov
    Thedre you go, camera focusses on Boonen, a quick witted producer guy back at HQ quickly pulls up a nice little stat on him. In this case ToC victories, which is a bit pointless, but it's a start.

Could do number of victories this year, maybe pro-tour points this year, etc etc.

US TV is a shambles!
    Actually that's a bit harsh on some of the HBO stuff
  • Paul 8v
    Haha, just noticed we have written nearly the exact same thing!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

US TV is a shambles!

The Wire, Mad Men, the sopranos, game of thrones, breaking bad, the simpsons, friends, house, south park, blah blah.

Definitely a shambles.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Folks don't seem to be clear on the split but it looks like 25km to go with around 3' betweeen the leaders and the peloton. This one could go the distance.
  • Paul 8v
    "Aero helmets, beards and a six man breakaway" :-)
  • rick_chasey
    RonB wrote:
    Folks don't seem to be clear on the split but it looks like 25km to go with around 3' betweeen the leaders and the peloton. This one could go the distance.

...really?
  • Paul 8v
    RonB wrote:
    What we need is some useful stats! Like distance left to go and split, rather than who is 10th in the young riders competition...
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    It's pretty ridiculous that we don't know the speed difference between this peloton in full flight and the break.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    All these trees making the picture break up again are annoying, it's like a rainforest though, I suppose you've got to feel for the broadcasters.
  • hammerite
    They were reporting about 15" gap for quite a long time in yesterday's stage when the break had been caught. Not saying it's not 3 mins, but they could get it wrong again.
  • rick_chasey
    I'll be surprised if the break makes it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    OPQS doing their best HTC impression
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • hammerite
    I'll be surprised if the break makes it.
    I reckon there are a couple of riders in the break who are just about on the limit, so it could go belly up for them at any point.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    :? No sooner said that & suddenly the whole OPQS team go all out with their chase.
  • rick_chasey
    Have to say, Boonen's always good surprisingly good value helping teammates, given his palmares.
  • mfin
    Well, the break is doomed but it could be nice timing.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Well done Tayor. Good ride.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Paul 8v
    Macaloon wrote:
    It's pretty ridiculous that we don't know the speed difference between this peloton in full flight and the break.
    I was just thinking this. Wouldn't be hard to display current speed, average speed to show the difference in the groups, work out how quickly they will get caught/pull away.

Gradient, elevation, wind direction and speed (Is there a tail wind or a head wind?) So much they could do with it, especially to relieve the boredom on a stage like this.

Rider stats? Info on the bikes, team profiles etc etc
  • hammerite
    Have to say, Boonen's always good surprisingly good value helping teammates, given his palmares.

all the win bonuses help him pay for the paint work in his cars... http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/tom-b ... 6887871050
  • mfin
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Macaloon wrote:
    I was just thinking this. Wouldn't be hard to display current speed, average speed to show the difference in the groups, work out how quickly they will get caught/pull away.

Gradient, elevation, wind direction and speed (Is there a tail wind or a head wind?) So much they could do with it, especially to relieve the boredom on a stage like this.

Rider stats? Info on the bikes, team profiles etc etc

Maybe they should get Chris Morris to produce it and plaster it with crap in a 'The Day Today' style?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Hard to tell with the lack of proper time updates, but I reckon they are going make it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    Oh and time delay race radio where applicable, like in F1.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    whether it's 13 or 7km to go they re going to stay away...

P&P pulling the "rest of their life" schtick out now...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • mfin
    RichN95 wrote:
    Hard to tell with the lack of proper time updates, but I reckon they are going make it.

It is really tight now, possibly interesting if the peleton doesn't relent the chase.
  • thomthom
    thomthom Posts: 3,574
    Are they still using trees as excuse for the poor coverage? Or is it the water now..?
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    My feed is such bad quality I can't see any cyclists on the helicopter shots...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver