Tour of California 2014 **Spoilers**

Comments

• above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I can also see a Lemond/Hinault situation arising, which although would be a royal pain in the backside for sir Dave would be great to watch!

Wouldn't it. I'm stocking up on popcorn already.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Paul 8v wrote:
    I can also see a Lemond/Hinault situation arising, which although would be a royal pain in the backside for sir Dave would be great to watch!

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    133542__VEG2639_zps8bd3f97e.jpg
    calimex_zpsd67bf63d.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Paul 8v wrote:

Not going to happen. What margin could Wiggo hope to claw back from Froome on the Bergerac 54km ITT (penultimate stage)? You don't need to be a detective 8) to see there's no chance, barring accidents, that Froome won't be putting minutes between himself and Wiggo.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • above_the_cows
    Macaloon wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

Not going to happen. What margin could Wiggo hope to claw back from Froome on the Bergerac 54km ITT (penultimate stage)? You don't need to be a detective 8) to see there's no chance, barring accidents, that Froome won't be putting minutes between himself and Wiggo.

Don't ruin my expectations of stellar stuff. I've just read a review of Grace of Monaco, I was hoping the Froome/Wiggins saga might at least offer more promise than that and I've got a load of popcorn to eat...
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    I took a look at today's (tonight's) profile. finish seems to be some distance after the last climb. One for gallop and for Brad to stay in Yellow?
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Macaloon wrote:
    How much time he loses will depend on how Sky use him in service of the team. Obviously he is going to lose more time if he's used on the flat or lower hills than if he was saved for the latter parts of climbs. He will lose a lot of time regardless though.

He's not even in the squad yet of course. :mrgreen:

It would be great though eh? Wiggo down by around a minute on GC and sat on the start ramp for a 54k ITT. On the subject of that ITT - it will be much more fun for the spectator if Contador has a margin on Froome come the day of the penultimate stage. If Froome is already ahead then the contest will be over barring a mechanical/crash.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Macaloon
    Daz555 wrote:
    It would be great though eh? Wiggo down by around a minute on GC and sat on the start ramp for a 54k ITT. On the subject of that ITT - it will be much more fun for the spectator if Contador has a margin on Froome come the day of the penultimate stage. If Froome is already ahead then the contest will be over barring a mechanical/crash.

Amen.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    Live now with the pretty coastal stage that they do.
    Unfortunately, there's still 85 kms to go...........................
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Just gone live, shame it's not more blowy as it would be perfect echelon territory today. Break of six 3'15 ahead. Stunning scenery on the Pacific Coast Highway. Three 1st cat climbs but so flat in the final third of the race the sprinters' teams are controlling the race.

It's on my to do list to go over there and ride that road, a friend did it a few years back less than a year after starting riding.
  • above_the_cows
    Lovely scenery. Shame about the camera work.
  • Macaloon
    I'm on the edge of my seat for the forthcoming cameras discussion. Just tried to nobble Brian Smith on Twitter.
  • Paul 8v
    I'll second that, hopefully it won't break up as much today!
  • above_the_cows
    Have we had a discussion about the yellow line down the middle of the road yet?

EDIT - oh and in all seriousness any idea how many kms to go? That would be some useful information... :roll:

Meanwhile Wiggins' overall time is already burned on my memory for ever more.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

EDIT - oh and in all seriousness any idea how many kms to go? That would be some useful information... :roll:

71.3 km to go
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • above_the_cows
    RichN95 wrote:

71.3 km to go

Thanks Rich, I will not be seeing the end of this then. Past my bed time already.
  • Macaloon
    Pross wrote:
    It's on my to do list to go over there and ride that road, a friend did it a few years back less than a year after starting riding.

OT: Start in Alaska. Brian's a very approachable chap btw.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    RichN95 wrote:

71.3 km to go

Thanks Rich, I will not be seeing the end of this then. Past my bed time already.

In that case I'll tell you the result early:

1. Cavendish, 2. Degenkolb, 3. Sagan
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Paul 8v
    What team is the rider 118 from? Awful kit, looks like its team happy shopper or something...
  • Paul 8v
    RichN95 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

71.3 km to go

In that case I'll tell you the result early:

1. Cavendish, 2. Degenkolb, 3. Sagan

Probably not far off! Can't get used to this distances in miles business. Just wrong for bike racing!
  • Macaloon
    Clint Eastwood country. He was a county mayor. Nobody pushed their luck.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Paul 8v wrote:
    What team is the rider 118 from? Awful kit, looks like its team happy shopper or something...

I pointed that kit out on Sunday night. It's a shocker isn't it, white shorts and white jersey :oops: . Checking the start list it's Novo Nordisk.

BriSmithy and Stevens on to camera chat....
  • Paul 8v
    hammerite wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

I pointed that kit out on Sunday night. It's a shocker isn't it, white shorts and white jersey :oops: . Checking the start list it's Novo Nordisk.

BriSmithy and Stevens on to camera chat....
    That bar tape too, yuck!
  • Paul 8v
    You can tell this is American just by the endless stats at the bottom of the screen, Americans LOVE sports stats!

Although the stage is a bit boring the scenery is awesome. Would love to ride this.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Paul 8v wrote:
    You can tell this is American just by the endless stats at the bottom of the screen, Americans LOVE sports stats!

Although the stage is a bit boring the scenery is awesome. Would love to ride this.

Nothing wrong with sports stats.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v wrote:

No but I've seen the same ones about 800 times now!
  • rick_chasey
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:

No but I've seen the same ones about 800 times now!

At least the commentator doesn't need to say it 20 times to cater for people who are tuning in ;).

People can slate Americans a lot, but they know how to do good sports coverage ( in the 5 minutes between all the ad breaks).
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    ....this might stay away....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • rick_chasey
    There you go, camera focusses on Boonen, a quick witted producer guy back at HQ quickly pulls up a nice little stat on him. In this case ToC victories, which is a bit pointless, but it's a start.

Could do number of victories this year, maybe pro-tour points this year, etc etc.

Yanks might not get cycling reallybut they get broadcasting.