Women's Tour *spoiler*

Comments

• davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Shame about Audrey Cordon, she's a good rider.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • coopster_the_1st
    coopster_the_1st Posts: 5,158
    Good support on the road though.
    Far too many motorbikes unnecessarily mixed in amongst the riders, though.[/quote]

That will be the NEG providing the rolling road block and warning marshalls to allow them to race. Otherwise there would be no race...
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Wet/ damp narrow country lanes around Naseby & Cottesbrooke for the riders on today's stage. Here's hoping for thrills, not spills.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
  • above_the_cows
    above_the_cows Posts: 11,406
    Sorry but I am struggling to get over Siri's really very unfortunate name.

EDIT - Milk in an omelette? Not necessary.
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160

Us modern men were pretending not to notice.
  • t5nel
    t5nel Posts: 365

Hmmm association with Apple's natural language voice recognition software...could be worse

:wink:
    My bikes
    MTB - 1997 Kona Kula
    Hybrid - Kona Dew Deluxe
    Road - 2011 Ribble Gran Fondo, Omega Matrix Ultegra
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,396
    Does Siri Minge hang out with Ellen van Dijk? :D

On a serious note, I was expecting the ladies to race for a little more than 55 miles or so yesterday.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,710
    So, I've seen it now. Mmmmm, OK.
    Nice crowds. Not terribly animated.
    Not great judgement from the home favourite, to say the least.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    Hannah Barnes must have slipped a gear or something yesterday... She'll win the next one.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I know lots of people aren't posting on here until they watch the highlights, so I'll take a bit out of this twitter feed - just wanted to highlight this:

Annemiek van Vleuten
    @AvVleuten
    Rainy day! But I liked it! ....... Tomorrow echelons?:)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    By the sounds of it, a great and deserved win for Rossella Ratto today.

It’s surprising the bigger names let her go, because most of her victories have been from similar solo breaks.

As she looked as an aspiring 3-year old:

14134464592_eb6fbba267.jpg
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    Any one else finding it frustrating that there is more coverage about Giro support vehicles on CN than about an actual race that is currently happening?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Respect to her for that long lone breakaway. Very pleased she stayed out and took the win. Nasty weather.

rossella_ratto_wins_st2_670.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Contador is the Greatest
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,538

To be fair, it's a bit of a mess of an omelette. Eggs should be well beaten first so it's nice and light.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • knedlicky
    To be fair, it's a bit of a mess of an omelette. Eggs should be well beaten first so it's nice and light.
    Siri hasn’t made an omelette, she’s done her version of scrambled egg.

To make an omelette, the yolk and the white are first separated, the white being beaten to be light and frothy. The yolk is then carefully turned into the white. Ask Delia.
    You add whatever you want to flavour the omelette to the yolk, before adding it to the beaten white. Then you gently tip the mix into a hot frying pan.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    knedlicky wrote:

To make an omelette, the yolk and the white are first separated, the white being beaten to be light and frothy. The yolk is then carefully turned into the white. Ask Delia.
    You add whatever you want to flavour the omelette to the yolk, before adding it to the beaten white. Then you gently tip the mix into a hot frying pan.
    It's bloody omlette. The thing you make when you only have eggs and a few scraps in the fridge. It's not exactly Masterchef fare.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Am i the only one who wants to smash Brightside's sunny side up eggs over his stupid face?
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • knedlicky
    RichN95 wrote:
    knedlicky wrote:

It's bloody omlette. The thing you make when you only have eggs and a few scraps in the fridge. It's not exactly Masterchef fare.
    I look forward with some trepidation to when I eat one of your soufflées.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    I can't help but wonder how other procyclists would cook their eggs, although I have no doubt Frenchie would be decrying Sky's scientific approach and claiming that true champions ignore carefully calibrated cooking times and instead simply slap their special steaks straight into a frying pan with a healthy dollop of panache.

Meanwhile, I must confess I'm struggling to watch the Women's Tour without wondering what a male peloton would be doing differently, if at all. Anyone know if they're using radios or not? Just wondering based on the way the break were allowed to stay away today, with the chase seemingly never quite getting organised until it was too late.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Underlay I think that the difference is that there is a lot more variation in standards in the womens peloton. It's like the mens peloton used to be 30 or 40 years ago....

Enjoyed that again today.
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Respect to her for that long lone breakaway. Very pleased she stayed out and took the win. Nasty weather.

Sounds like Delzenne was unlucky not to stay away for longer yesterday suffering with a gear problem most of her breakaway.

Jnr had a good day at the race today, got home drenched though. His photos aren't up to forum standards!
  • knedlicky
    Meanwhile, I must confess I'm struggling to watch the Women's Tour without wondering what a male peloton would be doing differently, if at all. Anyone know if they're using radios or not? Just wondering based on the way the break were allowed to stay away today, with the chase seemingly never quite getting organised until it was too late.
    I don’t think there are radios.

In a male peloton I’d guess one team or other would decide to make the chase, or to send someone up the road to try and join the small break. On paper Boels Dolmans, Spec Lululemon and Wiggle Honda are strong enough to do either, but it seems women’s teams (if not individuals) behave even less risk-friendly.

But Ratto is strong in (solo) breaks - she's like the female equivalent of Boonen or Cancellara in the Spring Classics, and why I mentioned above that I'm surprised the bigger names let her go. They should have realised what might happen when she didn't relax after the second climb of the day.
  • RichN95.
    knedlicky wrote:
    But Ratto is strong in (solo) breaks - she's like the female equivalent of Boonen or Cancellara in the Spring Classics, and why I mentioned above that I'm surprised the bigger names let her go. They should have realised what might happen when she didn't relax after the second climb of the day.
    She's a bit like her brother then, who won a Vuelta stage last year solo by four minutes.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,095
    Just listening to the C4 highlights and noticed that they have a commentator who sounds just like Hugh Porter and witters on like an old geezer in a nursing home.... and WTF, it is Hughie Porter. He's like one of those monsters in a horror movie, someone shoots him through the heart and he crops up on another channel. Other commentator sounds like Jonny Vegas.... couldn't they find a woman to do some commentary for a women's race?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    davidof wrote:
    Just listening to the C4 highlights and noticed that they have a commentator who sounds just like Hugh Porter and witters on like an old geezer in a nursing home.... and WTF, it is Hughie Porter. He's like one of those monsters in a horror movie, someone shoots him through the heart and he crops up on another channel. Other commentator sounds like Jonny Vegas.... couldn't they find a woman to do some commentary for a women's race?

The other commentator on ITV coverage is Brian Smith (BriSmithy of this Shire), he's Scottish though.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    davidof wrote:

Although they do have a female pundit doing the Chris Boardman thing. Happily, unlike the TdF coverage, there's no demand for chummy segments explaining the basics to people who haven't watched a race before.
  • RichN95.
    Happily, unlike the TdF coverage, there's no demand for chummy segments explaining the basics to people who haven't watched a race before.
    I like those bits. I know some people would rather watch an extra few minutes of a breakaway riding tempo down a nondescript road, but not me.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    RichN95 wrote:
    Happily, unlike the TdF coverage, there's no demand for chummy segments explaining the basics to people who haven't watched a race before.
    I like those bits. I know some people would rather watch an extra few minutes of a breakaway riding tempo down a nondescript road, but not me.

I understand where you're coming from, and by filming those segments well in advance they can cut down on some of the workload in producing the highlights package in a short timescale whilst still helping to explain some of what's going on, but they can sometimes feel excessively patronising even when some interesting numbers get dropped in (Boardman mentioning that the lead rider obtains a small but measurable benefit from having a wheelsucker sat on his wheel sticks in the mind). I'd happily sacrifice them for a better analysis - post-stage - of the way the key moves went and how riders reacted.