tage One Wednesday 7 May Oundle to Northampton
Stage Two Thursday 8 May Hinckley to Bedford
Stage Three Friday 9 May Felixstowe to Clacton
Stage Four Saturday 10 May Cheshunt to Welwyn Garden City
Stage Five Sunday 11 May Harwich to Bury St Edmunds

Ticker: http://www.womenstour.co.uk/live/index.php#.U2oGj6w0h8E

Highlights on ITV4 at 9pm tonight.

Comments

• My Dad was at the start. Says it was very busy with a large crowd and lots of gorgeous bike gear on show. Needed a cafe stop to recover (not sure if that is due to the crowds or the lycra)....
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I thought we had live coverage from someone?
  • sassse
    sassse Posts: 64
    Live Coverage here...

http://www.womenstour.co.uk/live/#.U2ob7oFdXzh

ITV 4 I think have highlights each night.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    1st @Strava #WT2014 QoM points results 1 Ratto, 2 Sharon Laws, 3 Jolanda Neff, 4 Karol-Ann Canuel, 5 Elena Cecchini
    Sprint 1 Ellen van Dijk ahead of Emma Johansson & Marianne Vos
    2nd @Strava #WT2014 QoM point results 1 Marianne Vos (Rabo), 2 Linda Ingerland, 3 Sharon Laws
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,160
    2nd sprint: Elise Delzenne winning the points for Specialized-lululemon

Struggling to maintain enthusiasm too from the feed - think I'll avoid it now and catch the highlights later on (assuming they are actually on..).
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited May 2014
    A is for Armitstead.

B is for but...
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    edited May 2014
    Emma Johannsson according to the live ticker.
  • r0bh
    r0bh Posts: 2,382
    sassse wrote:
    ITV 4 I think have highlights each night.

They do, on at 9pm.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    edited May 2014
    Emma Johannsson according to the live feed
    It was close....... think Johannsson timed it perfectly for the stage, but Armitsead has placing in intermediate sprints so if those have time bonuses she may get the GC.

Edit: Looking back Armitstead got 2nd in the latter intermediate sprint but Johannsson also got 2nd in opening sprint. Vos got 3rd in both sprints plus 2nd on the finish line.
  • slim_boy_fat
    slim_boy_fat Posts: 1,810
    Emma Johannsson according to the live feed
    It was close....... think Johannsson timed it perfectly.

Looking forward to the highlights now. Sounds like it's been a successful day with lots of support roadside.
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    Large and enthusiastic crowd in Oundle and a fairly positive piece on the local tv news. Weather looking pretty grim for tomorrow, it will be good to see some crowds out then despite the rain. Highlights on ITV4 and Eurosport I think.
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    Great day. I watched it by boughton house first, then the dreaded pork pie climb in Spratton.

A shame they didn't pass through the welland valley tomorrow or today. I would have liked to see the race take in the Neville holt climbs from either direction or the stockerston hills. Would have been great to watch.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    tom3 wrote:
    Great day. I watched it by boughton house first, then the dreaded pork pie climb in Spratton.

A shame they didn't pass through the welland valley tomorrow or today. I would have liked to see the race take in the Neville holt climbs from either direction or the stockerston hills. Would have been great to watch.

unfortunately if they went up a hill half the field would be timed out.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • tom3
    tom3 Posts: 287
    gsk82 wrote:
    tom3 wrote:

I did think that as I watched the field spread out and riders dropped on a 200m 3 percent ramp.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Just caught the highlights

Good Stage! God to see some proper racing. Given that they all have powermeters too it shows up that little nonsense for what it is...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Not the best of roads at times today, through what appeared to be a housing estate, loads of traffic calming and a narrow path through a country park. I'm sure they wouldn't put the men on something similar. Good support on the road though. Would a women's race really get that badly destroyed by a proper hill? Surely their ability in relation to others shouldn't be hugely different than in a men's race. The race is certainly a step in the right direction though and nice to see a former club mate riding.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    Just watched the highlights on ITV4. To my untrained eyes that was really really dull, really poor racing.

For the first 2/3rds of the highlights Armistead always seemed to be on the front or second wheel. Why was she not sheltering in the bunch?

Well done to Hannah Barnes. Great result for her.
  • Lanterne_Rogue
    Lanterne_Rogue Posts: 4,325
    Alan A wrote:
    Just watched the highlights on ITV4. To my untrained eyes that was really really dull, really poor racing.

For the first 2/3rds of the highlights Armistead always seemed to be on the front or second wheel. Why was she not sheltering in the bunch?

Presume with the size of some of those roads, Armitstead may have wanted to avoid being too far back - but agree that you can have too much of a good thing. She may have seemed more ubiquitous because of the commentary, which tended towards the school of 'Look! Person I've heard of!' rather than actual useful insight.

The actual racing wasn't any more or less exciting than any other sprint stage in tours the world over though - calling it poor is a bit of an overstatement.

Good result for Barnes, but I got the impression she got herself out of position and had to come from too far back. She's got enough pace to worry anyone if she's close to them at the finish though.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    edited May 2014
    Pross wrote:
    Not the best of roads at times today, through what appeared to be a housing estate, loads of traffic calming and a narrow path through a country park. I'm sure they wouldn't put the men on something similar. Good support on the road though. Would a women's race really get that badly destroyed by a proper hill? Surely their ability in relation to others shouldn't be hugely different than in a men's race. The race is certainly a step in the right direction though and nice to see a former club mate riding.

The road through Althrop isn't really too narrow, certainly no narrower than most of the pave at P-R. Would be no different to using some of the country estates that they go through for the men's TOB race either.

These pros should be able to negotiate a housing estate/traffic furniture in a stage race when they race a fair number of town centre crits in a season (certainly the Brit/US based ones anyway).
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Pross wrote:

theres a road on Stage 3, I actually missed the turning when out trying the course, because I couldnt believe theyd be using it, and even when my Garmin insisted it was the right road I thought its got to be a wrong it was only the advance warning cycle event signs that convinced me they are going to be using it, but its about the width of a Fiat 500,and it actually has grass growing up out the middle of the road :shock: and the corners are so dusty and full of stones too if someone doesnt fall off or puncture there Ill be surprised.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... 7,0.010568

but there are proper hills its not flat terrain at all, and part of the reason for them routing such odd roads is because it links the hills together in a way the wider roads in that area dont, its definitely a step in the right direction though.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Alan A wrote:

Presume with the size of some of those roads, Armitstead may have wanted to avoid being too far back - but agree that you can have too much of a good thing. She may have seemed more ubiquitous because of the commentary, which tended towards the school of 'Look! Person I've heard of!' rather than actual useful insight.

thats always going to be difficult though for any commentator covering a stage thats nearly 3 times as long as the highlights you are covering, given the time they have to package the whole thing up for transmission that night. As you have to decide what bits you are showing and then commentate to it, or commentate the whole race and hope they can piece bits together in an edit suite so it makes some sense. but either way its inevitably going to be them often just calling out names of people or places they see they think the viewers (most of whom arent dyed in the wool road cyclist fans) will recognise.

I thought it was good effort, thats probably the longest program devoted to womens road racing outside of the olympics thats ever been shown on UK tv.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,581
    awavey wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

thats always going to be difficult though for any commentator covering a stage thats nearly 3 times as long as the highlights you are covering, given the time they have to package the whole thing up for transmission that night. As you have to decide what bits you are showing and then commentate to it, or commentate the whole race and hope they can piece bits together in an edit suite so it makes some sense. but either way its inevitably going to be them often just calling out names of people or places they see they think the viewers (most of whom arent dyed in the wool road cyclist fans) will recognise.

I thought it was good effort, thats probably the longest program devoted to womens road racing outside of the olympics thats ever been shown on UK tv.

I am not complaining about the quality of the coverage. Chapeau Sweetspot & ITV4.

The racing was hardly that. 2 solo efforts getting 15secs or so ahead of a peleton riding not much faster than tempo is dull.

In the pre race interview with Ned & Vos, Lizzie said she wanted an attacking race with lots of breaks... it most certainly was not that.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Alan A wrote:

I am not complaining about the quality of the coverage. Chapeau Sweetspot & ITV4.

The racing was hardly that. 2 solo efforts getting 15secs or so ahead of a peloton riding not much faster than tempo is dull.

In the pre race interview with Ned & Vos, Lizzie said she wanted an attacking race with lots of breaks... it most certainly was not that.

This is the problem with highlights. How many TV viewers know how many attacks and how hard the race was early on, or at certain points unless it's shown in the highlights? It might be that everything was chased down so a lot of riders decided not to try.

Although I'm guessing it's more likely a case of a number of riders who aren't used to racing the likes of Vos and just sat in trying to gauge the level. In which case let's hope a few more have a bit more confidence and go for it.

(playing Devil's Advocate!)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Pross wrote:
    Not the best of roads at times today, through what appeared to be a housing estate, loads of traffic calming and a narrow path through a country park. I'm sure they wouldn't put the men on something similar.
    I’d only complain about those zig-zag sections in housing estates which had several junctions quickly one after another, each with little islands and illuminated bollards like this:

Church-St-traffic-island-web-150x150.jpg
    Pross wrote:
    Good support on the road though.
    Far too many motorbikes unnecessarily mixed in amongst the riders, though.
    awavey wrote:
    Alan A wrote:
    In the pre race interview, Lizzie said she wanted an attacking race with lots of breaks... it most certainly was not that.
    I thought it a good TV effort too, but if there were any tactics going on, the film didn’t catch them, apart from the little hovering towards the end – in that way it seemed rather like some (men’s) amateur races - which might partly explain why Armitstead (or others) couldn’t attempt much in the way of forming breaks.

img46.jpg

Anyone know what happened to Siri Minge, or to her team mate Audrey Cordon – both DNF so the Hitec team is already down to just 4 riders.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Don't know about Siri, but her teammate Audrey Cordon abandoned due to illness according to @Hitec_Products.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    gsk82 wrote:
    tom3 wrote:

The Giro Donne goes over the Mortirolo and such.... I think they can deal with a little hill in Northampton
  • Pross
    knedlicky wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    Not the best of roads at times today, through what appeared to be a housing estate, loads of traffic calming and a narrow path through a country park. I'm sure they wouldn't put the men on something similar.
    I’d only complain about those zig-zag sections in housing estates which had several junctions quickly one after another, each with little islands and illuminated bollards like this:

Church-St-traffic-island-web-150x150.jpg

That was the bit that made me comment, they had to come to more or less a stop just to get around.
  • Pross
    RonB wrote:
    Don't know about Siri, but her teammate Audrey Cordon abandoned due to illness according to @Hitec_Products.

What about the one who face planted? That looked nasty.
  • mustol
    mustol Posts: 134
    awavey wrote:
    theres a road on Stage 3, I actually missed the turning when out trying the course, because I couldnt believe theyd be using it, and even when my Garmin insisted it was the right road I thought its got to be a wrong it was only the advance warning cycle event signs that convinced me they are going to be using it, but its about the width of a Fiat 500,and it actually has grass growing up out the middle of the road :shock: and the corners are so dusty and full of stones too if someone doesnt fall off or puncture there Ill be surprised.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid= ... 7,0.010568

but there are proper hills its not flat terrain at all, and part of the reason for them routing such odd roads is because it links the hills together in a way the wider roads in that area dont, its definitely a step in the right direction though.

No there aren't any proper hills on Stage 3 - I know the area pretty well, there may be a few little bumps, but no more, the max elevation is less than 50m! Any short steep ramps they'll be able to power over - I doubt they'll need to change from the big ring all day. I think you need to get out more if you think there are proper hills between Felixstowe and Clacton! However, strong winds will be the real test on this stage - crosswinds might just spilt the peloton into pieces.